The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

What’s Southampton Uni like

So I’m looking to apply for medicine in Southampton Uni, I haven’t been able to visit cuz it’s way too far away and ya boi is too broke to get there, so I look online and watched some tours and it looks good. But I need reviews from people themselves. What’s it like? Just living there? I wanna get a self catered ensuite probs in glen eyre hall. I don’t drink or smoke, would I fit in? I’m also brown, what the ethnicity mixture there? Am I gonna enjoy it? I’ve got a “road” way of speaking and I can’t control it when I speak to friends is that gonna be a problem? Will I meet people who I can say “What’s good, what you saying?” Or will they think I’m weird? Do they speak posh? Am I gonna meet other people of colour who I’ll relate with? What’s the community like? Just everything? Education, Friends, Night life, medicine course, Girls (Of course, has to be girls so chocolatos of course) any help please and thank you.
Original post by Surgywannabe
So I’m looking to apply for medicine in Southampton Uni, I haven’t been able to visit cuz it’s way too far away and ya boi is too broke to get there, so I look online and watched some tours and it looks good. But I need reviews from people themselves. What’s it like? Just living there? I wanna get a self catered ensuite probs in glen eyre hall. I don’t drink or smoke, would I fit in? I’m also brown, what the ethnicity mixture there? Am I gonna enjoy it? I’ve got a “road” way of speaking and I can’t control it when I speak to friends is that gonna be a problem? Will I meet people who I can say “What’s good, what you saying?” Or will they think I’m weird? Do they speak posh? Am I gonna meet other people of colour who I’ll relate with? What’s the community like? Just everything? Education, Friends, Night life, medicine course, Girls (Of course, has to be girls so chocolatos of course) any help please and thank you.

I just graduated from University of Southampton in biology. It's a good uni overall, Southampton has a very good nightlife with lots of clubs and there's a student union bar on campus, Highfield campus is very green. There are people who don't smoke or drink so yeah you'd be fine. There are lots of Asian people especially Chinese who attend the university and there's a variety of ethnic groups. Yeah, we're not posh exactly, I think you've fallen for typical stereotypes lol, I often say What's up? etc. No, we don't speak posh 😂 You will meet people who are black for sure and there are societies and freshers events to meet different people. I don't know about girls but there are females attending the uni 😂 It's a Russell Group uni so the teaching is fab. I had a flatmate this year who studied medicine and he seemed to love the course and had lots of course friends.

Hope this helps.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by madmirrors
I just graduated from University of Southampton in biology. It's a good uni overall, Southampton has a very good nightlife with lots of clubs and there's a student union bar on campus, Highfield campus is very green. There are people who don't smoke or drink so yeah you'd be fine. There are lots of Asian people especially Chinese who attend the university and there's a variety of ethnic groups. Yeah, we're not posh exactly, I think you've fallen for typical stereotypes lol, I often say What's up? etc. No, we don't speak posh 😂 You will meet people who are black for sure and there are societies and freshers events to meet different people. I don't know about girls but there are females attending the uni 😂 It's a Russell Group uni so the teaching is fab. I had a flatmate this year who studied medicine and he seemed to love the course and had lots of course friends.

Hope this helps.

This actually helped a lot, I’ve never visited or anything so it’s hard to know tbh, what is football like? I heard they have a team, is it just a pastime, like a society? Or do they get paid or? What’s the gender mix too? Is it like 1:5 Girls to boys? It really shows a lot about a uni, how many people do you normally live with in a hall? What about shopping and stuff. Sorry for asking so much, thank you anyway
This actually helped a lot, I’ve never visited or anything so it’s hard to know tbh, what is football like? I heard they have a team, is it just a pastime, like a society? Or do they get paid or? What’s the gender mix too? Is it like 1:5 Girls to boys? It really shows a lot about a uni, how many people do you normally live with in a hall? What about shopping and stuff. Sorry for asking so much, thank you anyway

Happy to help! I'm probably not the best person to ask about football as I'm not a huge fan, there is a football stadium called St Mary's for Southampton FC and if I remember rightly there's a football club for the uni and I think it's more recreation rather than paid so just for fun I think! I think the gender varies from course to course like there were more girls than guys on my biology course but it could be different for medicine but as a whole I think the uni is about equal mix of guys and girls. In halls this year, I lived with 10 people in Wessex Lane, Connaught and that was in my flat so it's quite a few people. In an entire halls I'm not sure of the whole number of people but could be a thousand perhaps depending on the size of the halls complex. Shopping - There's a student union shop on Highfield campus but it's expensive, if you're living in Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane, there's a big Sainsbury's in Portswood which is maybe a mile away but there are frequent buses and you can do deliveries with your flat. Also there's a few shops like Tesco, Co op and that along Burgess Road which is by Highfield Campus so close to uni.
Original post by madmirrors
Happy to help! I'm probably not the best person to ask about football as I'm not a huge fan, there is a football stadium called St Mary's for Southampton FC and if I remember rightly there's a football club for the uni and I think it's more recreation rather than paid so just for fun I think! I think the gender varies from course to course like there were more girls than guys on my biology course but it could be different for medicine but as a whole I think the uni is about equal mix of guys and girls. In halls this year, I lived with 10 people in Wessex Lane, Connaught and that was in my flat so it's quite a few people. In an entire halls I'm not sure of the whole number of people but could be a thousand perhaps depending on the size of the halls complex. Shopping - There's a student union shop on Highfield campus but it's expensive, if you're living in Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane, there's a big Sainsbury's in Portswood which is maybe a mile away but there are frequent buses and you can do deliveries with your flat. Also there's a few shops like Tesco, Co op and that along Burgess Road which is by Highfield Campus so close to uni.

Also for further shopping you can go to West Quay, the main shopping centre in Southampton which is a 30 minute bus journey from Highfield Campus. It also has an Asda by it!
Fun
Reply 6

Basically all of the medics are brown lol. In general there's a decent ethnic mix, more so than I was expecting. And yeah you can speak however you want, lots of people from London study here so they get the language differences. From what I know the Asian Soc is pretty big but they're also big on going on nights out and stuff - might be an issue if you don't drink. Medics also have the nicest building on campus if that means anything
Reply 7

I can speak for Wessex lane in that the range of people living with ranges from 7-16ish I think. Never been to glen so no idea there. I'm in a flat of 7 for Wessex cat. 2 min en suite. Fairly sure the biggest flats are non ensuite cat.1 but not entirely sure. You can always ask for a preference of how many you want to share with. Hope that helps feel free to ask any more questions I'm currently studying here so I should be able to help with some things :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending