The Student Room Group

What is your secret dream job? [Golden Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Astronaut!
A chocolate taster!! 🤤🤤 YUM
I don't know, probably fast food owner?
Original post by CoolCavy
Have always wanted to be a royal marine :lockstock: is not feesible at all :rofl: have too many health and psychiatric issues, plus am not fit enough and am a woman (they are letting girls in at some point but not sure when)
Second dream job is the one I wanted ever since I was a child which is a farrier, could be feesible I guess but don't want to do that job anymore really.

There's always time to work on the fitness side at least! Though the health issues are another matter if they're an outright no :redface:

What is a farrier? And how come you don't want that job any more? :holmes:

Original post by Noodlzzz
Stand up comic! I'm just not very funny :redface:

I'm a firm believer that everyone is funny, it's just about finding their style of humour! Don't discount the dream just yet! :tongue:

Original post by entertainmyfaith
primary school teacher, professional dogwalker or a concert technician:smile:

Those all sound pretty feasible! Are you working towards any of them currently? :smile:

Original post by CrazyKittenLady
I want to be a zoo keeper!!!!!! or a vet as love animals soooo much! I am a designer though which I do also love and have a mini zoo of animals at home with my geckos, tortoises, guinea pigs and cats :tongue:

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds there - my mum would be very jealous, she really wants to get a gecko :lol:

How many cats do you have? :love:

Original post by Rowanblu
I've got my heart set on working in medicine, and I'm studying super hard...but ever since a was a really young kid I've wanted to be an actress.

Do you think you might become an actress someday, even if just in bit roles? :smile:

Original post by SwagNam
Field agent MI6 then I realise I don't have British nationality, yet.

What aobut MI6 interested you? :smile:

Original post by SVDM
Since way back when I was a child I have always wanted to be in the Royal Navy, however the medical conditions have put a stop to that. I'm working for the Merchant Navy now, so i'm half way there.

Can you get into the Rotal Navy from the Merchant? I'm not sure how it works I'm afraid :tongue:

Original post by Kroznox
I want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon or trauma surgeon and be a spokesperson of medical ethics, that's my dream job but hopefully with hard work it'll be feasible.

That definitely sounds feasible if you're willing to put in the work - good luck :hugs:

I totally think you should try out the fitness class! It seems like it would be a great way for you to give it a try without having to dive in at the deep end :yep:

Original post by Bulletzone
A pilot (hence my old profile picture).

Without trying to sound cliche I believe anything you set your mind too is realistic.
When you tell yourself it's "too expensive" or "only x amount make it", you're already doubting your capability and hindering the accomplishment you can make.

I believe I will become a pilot :smile:

I really like that attitude towards it - I hope you do manage to become a pilot, that would be amazing :gah:

Original post by stephlmx
My secret dream job is to work on a magazine - a mental health one, an author as i'd love to write a book one day, or a counsellor/therapist

Do you think you'll achieve those? Are you currently working towards any of them? :teeth:

Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Olympic athlete :lol: I'm one of the least sporty people that I know, but it's still something I want to try for. Just perhaps not in the same sport as when I originally got the idea

When I was about 11 it was being a criminologist.

No harm in giving it a shot - imagine how worth it it would be if you got there! :eek:

Original post by kiki213
Become a writer. Preferably books aimed towards 14-18 year old girls. Or 18+, not really sure tbh. Maybe like the Divergent trilogy or John Green books.
I’d also like to be an editor for a fashion magazine.

Are you writing anything currently? :awesome:

Original post by Sinnoh
Astronaut. Pretty obvious I think.
I'd go on the ISS, maybe to the Moon but I wouldn't fancy going all the way to Mars or something.

Do you think that's something you'll be able to achieve one day? :biggrin:

Are those things you're working on at the mo? :smile:

Original post by yeahthatonethere
I've wanted to be practically anything and everything at some point :colondollar:
As a kid my heart was set on either paramedic, firefighter, RAF pilot or secret spy. I'd happily take on of these jobs to this day too! However my current dream job I'm working towards is a medical scientist, working on cures and treatments for diseases!

Ooo that's such a great mix! Really good to hear you're working towards the current one too :ahee:

Original post by gjd800
In another life I'd have liked to have been in the miltary.

Is that not something you're interested in now? :holmes:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Musical Director (MD) of a West End musical. Neither my hearing nor my piano skills are up to it, but it's been a pipe dream ever since I realised I had a talent for conducting/arranging music :moon: My Oxford tutor wanted it to happen too, bless him :h:

:musicus:

Even if you didn't reach the full dream, is conducting/arranging music something you're working towards in general? :teeth:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 84
Well a lot of astronauts are pretty old so maybe...?
You know that super famous picture of an astronaut flying untethered in space? That's Bruce McCandless who I think was 60 as the time haha

Original post by shadowdweller
Do you think that's something you'll be able to achieve one day? :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rum Ham
Famous musical singer/performer or a singer/songwriter

That would be pretty awesome! Do you write songs at all currently? :smile:

Original post by poohead23
a greedy scum of the earth banker! ooo I can't wait to be hated by everyone, it's gonna be so much fun.

That is an interesting goal, being hated by everyone is an unusual ambition! :tongue:

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I have my dream job.. sort of.

I work as a freelance writer & editor, but my dream would be to just be a fiction editor. I do get a few projects of that kind of work but I would like to increase that and lower the writing I have to do, if possible.

Do you think you'll be able to phase out the writing over time, if you don't enjoy that aspect as much? :smile:

Original post by AnkXL
I'd love to be a stage actor. Singing, dancing, pretending... I know there's more to it than that, but it would feel so liberating to get on stage and perform like that. Unfortunately I've got stage fright and zero skill in the field.

I don't thik that makes it insurmountable, personally - skill can be developed, and stage fright overcome! I reckon you should try and go for it, even if only a small part on stage :biggrin:

Original post by M.IC3
Self employed billionaire! :tongue:

Self-employed doing what? :tongue:

Original post by Grade A
Fortnite Twitch streamer:awesome:

That sounds like the kind of thing that could be pretty feasible if you're a good player? :biggrin:

Original post by codecommand
CISO

What is that, sorry? :colondollar:

Original post by lucieol
A translator for the UN :love:

That would be amazing :love: Do you speak many languages? :gah:

Original post by londonmyst
My dream job would be to be a professional chocolate taster.
Last year I did get paid £80 for a market research assignment tasting a box of kinder chocolates.

Do you think you'd get sick of chocolate if you got that role full time? :tongue:

Original post by SteveForfar
Royal Marine Commando/SBS Operator

Is that something you're working towards currently? :teeth:

Original post by Notnek
Pilot although no chance of that anymore.

That or TSR Dev.

TSR Dev would be pretty amazing :colone:

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Getting paid to scratch my own arse.

I am not sure that qualifies as a job! :lol:

Original post by MaizieAmyr
An astronaut. Even though I am equally facinated and terrified by space.

Do you think that's something you'll ever do? :gah:

Original post by PsychoAnalyser
GP

Are you studying/hoping to study Medicine? :smile:

Original post by Your Local Cat
a ****ing wizard.

Yer a wizard, Harry! :mmm:
Original post by Sinnoh
Well a lot of astronauts are pretty old so maybe...?
You know that super famous picture of an astronaut flying untethered in space? That's Bruce McCandless who I think was 60 as the time haha

Woah, really? I never knew that, that's amazing :eek:
Do you think that's something you'll ever do? :gah:

Technically I can't because it requires 20 20 vision and I am extremely short sighted. (-7.5 :no: I can't even see the top line of those letter board things - idk what they are called :laugh:)
Original post by Gradebaker
Always wanted to be a wedding planner, but I’ve always felt pressure (and wanted) to get a degree. Who knows though, maybe I’ll be a wedding planner afterwards!

What degree are you going to do?

Wedding planner definitely seems like something you could do alongside/after that :smile:

Original post by Claros
I would become a professional bed tester. Basically, I would just laze around all day but get paid for it.

On a serious note, I'd like to be a costume designer. I love dressing up and wearing makeup, though I don't do it very often. I'd need to learn how to make clothes first though! It's likely that I'd do this as a hobby instead if I pursue it more seriously.

It soulds like costume design would be a pretty great hobby to have too :biggrin:

Original post by tamil fever
Spy,Astronaut,Group singer,Actress
I'll add more when I think of it....

Are there any of those that you're currently working towards? :smile:

Original post by mongodb
Airline Pilot.

Or the next Noel Gallagher. Either one suits me.

Though I would also like to be a professional poker player, or a pitcher in Major League Baseball.

What interests you about becoming a pilot? Do you think it's something you'll do? :ahee:

Original post by Princepieman
Music producer - would be mostly indie rock infused with some new wave electro.

Photographer and videographer as well for really high end projects

Maybe even a short film producer.

Imo, these are more hobbies than a job though. My actual dream job is to be at the very forefront of either capitalism (allocation of capital or utilisation of capital) or knowledge creation (or both).

Being just a regular skilled worker (whether software engineer or quant or surgeon or creative) doesn't interest me career wise - I see those jobs as a means to an end rather than the end itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of roles do you think fulfil the idea of allocation of capital and knowledge creation? :smile:

Original post by J-SP
I’d own a wine bar/little licensed cafe.

That or a dog day care business

Why not both? :ninja:

Running a cafe would be amazing though, it's something I'd love to do too :biggrin:

Original post by euphrosynay
musician, astronaut, explorer or member of a thinktank

Do you think you'll manage to accomplish any of those? :smile:

Original post by sinfonietta
Full-time writer and betta fish breeder.

Tried the former. Being a starving artist sucks. It’s why I’m doing a second degree in something more practical. :P I’m working on establishing it as a ‘side’ career though. :smile:

As for betta breeding, I don’t have the time or money for it. They’re a very aggressive species that require separating as they age. And you can’t simply put a male and female in a tank together and hope for the best - they’ll kill each other! In the meantime I breed more docile species. Betta breeding is my retirement plan though. :h:

What's your second degree in? A side career in art sounds very cool :yep:

Betta breeding sounds pretty scary! A very cool retirement plan though :biggrin:

Original post by UWS
Wouldn't be a secret if I said :mmm:

Touche! :lol:

Original post by asdasdihpi
Hmmm, I would definitely say....President. :smile: Edit: Do I think I can achieve it?~ Hmm, I'd say I think I could but it would take blood, sweat and tears (metaphorically) to get into that position and many, many years of studying/training which I'm not ready for :/

President would be an awful lot of work! Worth it if you're able to make real positive change though, I think :holmes:

Original post by zerex
I'm going into medicine but my 'dream jobs' would either be to be an author (wanted to be one since I was a child) or a music producer (I'm actually producing music on the side so that may work out).

That's pretty cool to be going into medicine - do you think you'll work on writing and producing as hobbies still though?

Original post by as125
Get paid to sleep

Inception style

I am not sure what sleeping inception style means :tongue:

Original post by JennLousie
Musical theatre actress - no dance skills whatsoever

Dance skills can be acquired, I'm sure! :tongue:

Original post by UnworthySoul
Race car driver

Do you drive much currently? :biggrin:

Original post by JenniferKetley24
A doctor! I’ve always loved the idea of helping people by making them feel better!

That's a really positive goal :yep:

Are you studying/hoping to study medicine? :smile:
I would love to be a full-time author, writing dystopian fictions for teens and up:flip:
Original post by MaizieAmyr
Technically I can't because it requires 20 20 vision and I am extremely short sighted. (-7.5 :no: I can't even see the top line of those letter board things - idk what they are called :laugh:)

Oh no! Foiled by eyesight seems to be unfortuantely common for things like astronaut and pilot :shakecane:
Original post by Mckailer
I would love to be a full-time author, writing dystopian fictions for teens and up:flip:

Definitely a popular genre! Is that something you're working towards at the moment? :biggrin:
Far too expensive to train to become a pilot. Was actually having a chat about this with a colleague of mine last night, it's almost impossible unless you have seriously rich parents.

Do you think you'll be able to phase out the writing over time, if you don't enjoy that aspect as much? :smile:

Possibly. The problem is as a freelancer is that all jobs start with one-off projects - and most of my editing work is done for individual authors. What I need is a project with a publishing house that gets made more permanent.

If I meet the right people I might, but it's not as easy as you might think, as traditional publishing houses have their staff already, and not many will consider using remote workers. So it would have to be a smaller publisher.

Having said writing isn't my favourite job - I've just started a new project with a regular client and it's brilliant so far, so maybe it's not all bad!
Oh no! Foiled by eyesight seems to be unfortuantely common for things like astronaut and pilot :shakecane:

Well there options to restore eye sight in our modern world and it's something that will have to be done at somepoint anyway because otherwise I may go blind or something along those lines. :no:
Are there any of those that you're currently working towards?

Lol actually I am going sixth form and I still don't know what subjects to pick or what I want to become.So no bc its kinda difficult:frown:

What sort of roles do you think fulfil the idea of allocation of capital and knowledge creation? :smile:

Allocation of capital is done by professional investors whether:

- through private investments (i.e. a family office or personal investment company)

- on behalf of others in an investment vehicle (mutual fund, hedge fund, exchange traded fund, pension fund etc)

- also included are those who facilitate this process: investment banks (both the private M&A/capital raising side and the public institutional broker-dealer side), real estate debt/equity/asset brokers, exchanges, financial advisors etc

Utilisation of capital is done by:

- government officials

- operators (executives and managers) of organisations (new startups, non-profits, large corporations etc)

- also included are consulting companies advising these officials and executives on how best to run things

Knowledge creation is done by:

- researchers and inventors (whether in the academy or in private industry)

Everyone else is a worker with varying skillsets and economic value based on the market they compete in - the real world changing decisions and actions, however, are done by the above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
What aobut MI6 interested you? :smile:

Field-agent part: mainly travel around the world, spying on high-level individuals, using techs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Impossible!
I'm an incurable chocoholic, with an instant adoration for all things chocolatey- sampling, guzzling, cooking with and making my own.
I've even extended my chocoholic remit into making dog chocolate, so canine guests can enjoy choco treats with me.

Do you think you'd get sick of chocolate if you got that role full time? :tongue:
Reply 99
Woah, really? I never knew that, that's amazing :eek:

Actually I was way off, he was 47. Chris Hadfield however was commander of the ISS well into his 50s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending