The Student Room Group

Meet all entry requirements for Accounting, except a B in GCSE English

Original post by Dippa
I've just graduated and have been looking at Graduate ACA Trainee positions. However, most of them require a 2:1, 300 UCAS Points and a B in GCSE Maths and English.

I meet all these requirements and even have a 2:1 in Mathematics. However, i got a C for my GCSE English. I've been rejected from many firms based on this or it may just be that i'm not passing my online assessments.

Do i still have a chance of getting into the big 4?

Also, would retaking GCSE English be a good option?

I recently got offered a b4 accounting position with a C in GCSE english. If I recall correctly, only KPMG required a B? I got very far through all big 4 processes with only a C. I wouldn't worry mate. If you're getting screened out after online tests, it's due to your test scores - not your GCSEs. They would take you out the process ASAP if you didn't have good enough grades.

I wouldn't bother retaking english, just focusing on making strong applications.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Dippa
Hi mate thanks for the reply,

A few other companies also require a B.

I've been taking my practicing my assessments and I'm getting over the 80th percentile on AssessmentDay. However, I'm still being rejected by most companies. I'm quite confused.

The larger companies tend to give quite detailed feedback upon completion of tests. What does your feedback say?

Also, when did you d these tests, and for what start date?
Reply 2
Original post by Dippa
From the Situational Strengths Assessments tests my top 3 Strengths were:
Collabrative
Analyst
Resilient
And the weakness that i keep getting from most firms is 'Drive to Succeed'

I did most of the tests within the last month for Jan 2019 starts.

What about the numerical/logical reasoning tests etc.?
Reply 3
Original post by Dippa
I've just graduated and have been looking at Graduate ACA Trainee positions. However, most of them require a 2:1, 300 UCAS Points and a B in GCSE Maths and English.

I meet all these requirements and even have a 2:1 in Mathematics. However, i got a C for my GCSE English. I've been rejected from many firms based on this or it may just be that i'm not passing my online assessments.

Do i still have a chance of getting into the big 4?

Also, would retaking GCSE English be a good option?

I'd call them to enquire - you need to know (but wouldn't they reject you pre- tests if you didn't make their cut off?). If it were me I'd resit English anyway - just to be safe for the future.
Reply 4
Original post by Dippa
Hi mate, kpmg just rejected me again even though I passed the online tests. Did you manage to get to the next stage with them?

KPMG is the only one that I didn't get far with. I got very far/finished the process with the other 3.
KPMG website states

"Q: Do I need to meet all the requirements stated for a position before I can apply for the job?

A:No. You can still apply for the position even if you do not meet all the requirements whereby your application will be considered with all other applications."

Original post by hanley9
I recently got offered a b4 accounting position with a C in GCSE english. If I recall correctly, only KPMG required a B? I got very far through all big 4 processes with only a C. I wouldn't worry mate. If you're getting screened out after online tests, it's due to your test scores - not your GCSEs. They would take you out the process ASAP if you didn't have good enough grades.

I wouldn't bother retaking english, just focusing on making strong applications.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SparkiBoy
KPMG website states

"Q:biggrin:o I need to meet all the requirements stated for a position before I can apply for the job?

A:No. You can still apply for the position even if you do not meet all the requirements whereby your application will be considered with all other applications."

I would be very cautious about this. Firms are concerned about being taken the court for indirect discrimination so allow some flexibility on grade demands. Whether this will help anyone who doesn't meet the grade requirements is a different case.....
Reply 7
Back in the day, you got screened out by all the large firms, and resits were ignored unless you had extenuating circumstances.

I think EY only requires a C at GCSE? They're the firm that scrapped the 2:1 minimum. Have you applied for EY yet?
Original post by ajj2000
I would be very cautious about this. Firms are concerned about being taken the court for indirect discrimination so allow some flexibility on grade demands. Whether this will help anyone who doesn't meet the grade requirements is a different case.....

Yeah, it is something to be cautious about, but from what I've heard they won't reject your application right away if you don't meet 1 or 2 of the criteria and they let you have a shot at the aptitude tests to see how well you'll perform. If you do well in those, they'll give you an interview and review your application and grades before giving you an offer to work with them. So if it's something like a GCSE grade you don't have and you still meet the other requirements it is still worth applying.

Worth checking out these links too:

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/accountancy-and-financial-management/438970-the-big-4-s-entry-criteria-and-your-graduate-job-application

https://www.ft.com/content/b8c66e50-beda-11e5-9fdb-87b8d15baec2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending