The Student Room Group

What universities will take a minimum of 2 A Levels?

I am currently looking to study Psychology at university in September 2019; I am currently taking three A Levels, however, if I don't improve my Sociology grade by November I will be required to do the EPQ in replacement of Sociology. Therefore, this will leave me with two A Levels, plus half an A Level (the EPQ).

Does anyone know of any universities that will take two A Levels, plus the EPQ? As I am really beating myself up over whether I have the ability to apply for uni, and I'm really unsure whether those A Levels will get me into University.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as I start the application process in September this year (2018)!

Many thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JFrost12
I am currently looking to study Psychology at university in September 2019; I am currently taking three A Levels, however, if I don't improve my Sociology grade by November I will be required to do the EPQ in replacement of Sociology. Therefore, this will leave me with two A Levels, plus half an A Level (the EPQ).

Does anyone know of any universities that will take two A Levels, plus the EPQ? As I am really beating myself up over whether I have the ability to apply for uni, and I'm really unsure whether those A Levels will get me into University.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as I start the application process in September this year (2018)!

Many thanks in advance!

Hi there.

Universities require a minimum of 3 A-Levels or a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A-Levels). I'm afraid 2 A-Levels and an EPQ won't suffice. Should they force you to drop Sociology, you could do a single Level 3 BTEC award in something alongside the other two A-Levels you're doing.

Hope that helps. :smile:

- C&P/JT

Many thanks in advance!
Do you want to improve your sociology grade or would you be glad to drop the course? Research courses and see what their entry requirements are to establish whoch universities may offer you a place. I imagine those universities who's offers tend to consist of UCAS tarriff points rather than 3 A Level grades would be pretty open to you. You need to be confident about what grades you get in the other two A Level subjects though as you might have to get grades a little higher in order to meet your offer tarriff points.
My friend got an offer for psychology at Royal Holloway and Coventry. She does psychology and physics (but dropped chemistry year 13), so applied with 2 a levels for deferred entry with the intention to do an intensive a level next year. However, they both gave her an offer of Psychology and physics at AA so she didn’t need to do the intensive a level next year. But yeah as the previous comment mentions, 3 a levels is often the minimum requirement.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics

Universities require a minimum of 3 A-Levels or a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A-Levels). I'm afraid 2 A-Levels and an EPQ won't suffice. Should they force you to drop Sociology, you could do a single Level 3 BTEC award in something alongside the other two A-Levels you're doing.
Not all Universities have this requirement.:nah:
Reply 5
I was about to say the same as 04MR17 - Some universities work on a tarrif points system, meaning if you meet the requirements for that then you can still get in, and in some cases it is possible to do so with 2 A levels and an EPQ at good grades. You'll have to do a bit of research into it though. Is your sociology something you wantt to stick with? I'd also contact the universities you're interested in to see what they'd think, if you already know where you want to go, before choosing whether to drop your subject or not. Hope this helps :smile:
Hi there.

- C&P/JT

Not neccessarily!

Some universities / courses ask for UCAS points. So, technically the OP could be get their points from 2 A-Levels and an EPQ, it just wouldn’t be easy. But generally speaking yes, 90% of the time it’s 3 A-Levels (or A-Level equivelant) that universities ask for.
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Do you want to improve your sociology grade or would you be glad to drop the course? Research courses and see what their entry requirements are to establish whoch universities may offer you a place. I imagine those universities who's offers tend to consist of UCAS tarriff points rather than 3 A Level grades would be pretty open to you. You need to be confident about what grades you get in the other two A Level subjects though as you might have to get grades a little higher in order to meet your offer tarriff points.

I am hoping to improve my Sociology grade, however, it wasn't a subject I initially intended on studying when I started Sixth Form. So, it wouldn't bother me as much if I dropped it, but I would like to attempt to improve it so I can leave Sixth Form with 3 A Levels. I've looked at courses in the London Metropolitan, Teesside, Portsmouth and Birmingham City, who I believe most of them just require UCAS points or a minimum of 2 A Levels. I am trying to find unis closer to home (within the London and Kent area) that take 2 A Levels.
Reply 8
Original post by lilyevans847
My friend got an offer for psychology at Royal Holloway and Coventry. She does psychology and physics (but dropped chemistry year 13), so applied with 2 a levels for deferred entry with the intention to do an intensive a level next year. However, they both gave her an offer of Psychology and physics at AA so she didn’t need to do the intensive a level next year. But yeah as the previous comment mentions, 3 a levels is often the minimum requirement.

That's really helpful to know as I'm looking to do Forensic Psychology/Psychology at University. One of the Unis that I've looked at and fallen in love with is Royal Holloway, so to know that your friend got in with those grades and only 2 A Levels is incredibly helpful to know. Thank you
I am hoping to improve my Sociology grade, however, it wasn't a subject I initially intended on studying when I started Sixth Form. So, it wouldn't bother me as much if I dropped it, but I would like to attempt to improve it so I can leave Sixth Form with 3 A Levels. I've looked at courses in the London Metropolitan, Teesside, Portsmouth and Birmingham City, who I believe most of them just require UCAS points or a minimum of 2 A Levels. I am trying to find unis closer to home (within the London and Kent area) that take 2 A Levels.
How much improvement are we looking at here grade-wise?:holmes:
Reply 10
Hi there.

- C&P/JT

I understand that some universities do only require 3 A Levels, but from some of the Unis I have looked at, they require only 2 A Levels and will take the EPQ into account as well; so, I'm sure that this will be sufficient enough to allow me to attend a university of some sorts lower down the league table, but obviously I will not be able to attend Universities in the top of the league or Russel group. Yes, you're comment is helpful and I fully appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

I can see youve gad some good answers already, so apologies for any repetition.

Some unis will take 2 A levels, but they tend to be lower down the food chain. Do you have any predictions what you might get with the 2?

I think the lower end of UCAS points would be about 104-1112 UCAS points. That would be quite a lot of pressure on your other two A levels.

I would consider three options.

1. Resit year 12.
2. Look for a psychology degree with foundation year.
3. BTEC as suggested by C&P
3. My preferred option would be to do an A level in a year either at school, online or self taught.

If you had to take an additional year to do it, then so be it.
Reply 12
Original post by 04MR17
How much improvement are we looking at here grade-wise?:holmes:

From my mock exams I did unfortunately, obtain a U; I am set to get a C in my next set of mocks in November. So, my school are being rather optimistic and hoping I'll improve by three grades.
Reply 13
Original post by Simbess
I was about to say the same as 04MR17 - Some universities work on a tarrif points system, meaning if you meet the requirements for that then you can still get in, and in some cases it is possible to do so with 2 A levels and an EPQ at good grades. You'll have to do a bit of research into it though. Is your sociology something you wantt to stick with? I'd also contact the universities you're interested in to see what they'd think, if you already know where you want to go, before choosing whether to drop your subject or not. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you, this is helpful!
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
I can see youve gad some good answers already, so apologies for any repetition.

Some unis will take 2 A levels, but they tend to be lower down the food chain. Do you have any predictions what you might get with the 2?

I think the lower end of UCAS points would be about 104-1112 UCAS points. That would be quite a lot of pressure on your other two A levels.

I would consider three options.

1. Resit year 12.
2. Look for a psychology degree with foundation year.
3. BTEC as suggested by C&P
3. My preferred option would be to do an A level in a year either at school, online or self taught.

If you had to take an additional year to do it, then so be it.

I have already discussed my options with my Head of Sixth Form. They suggested that I continue Sociology until November and see if I've improved, but they said not to stay back a year; if I don't improve my Sociology grade, I will have to take up the EPQ or continue with the subject but make sure I make some major improvements before the final exams in the summer.
From my mock exams I did unfortunately, obtain a U; I am set to get a C in my next set of mocks in November. So, my school are being rather optimistic and hoping I'll improve by three grades.
If you understand why you got a U, then you should be okay. Hopefully it was the "kick you needed" (in absence of a more empathetic expression) to work hard and achieve what you can. Feel free to make use of the TSR Sociology Study Help forum to help you along with this.
I have already discussed my options with my Head of Sixth Form. They suggested that I continue Sociology until November and see if I've improved, but they said not to stay back a year; if I don't improve my Sociology grade, I will have to take up the EPQ or continue with the subject but make sure I make some major improvements before the final exams in the summer.

The EPQ doesnt help you.
Two A levels doesnt help you.
So work out whether you can improve or do the BTEC or do another one. That is what I would do. I dont see the EPQ helps you much.
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17
If you understand why you got a U, then you should be okay. Hopefully it was the "kick you needed" (in absence of a more empathetic expression) to work hard and achieve what you can. Feel free to make use of the TSR Sociology Study Help forum to help you along with this.

It was definitely the kick that I needed and I understand why I got the U. Thank you for your help!
Reply 18
It was definitely the kick that I needed and I understand why I got the U. Thank you for your help!

Original post by 999tigger
The EPQ doesnt help you.
Two A levels doesnt help you.
So work out whether you can improve or do the BTEC or do another one. That is what I would do. I dont see the EPQ helps you much.

I think this is rather harsh, yes they may not help me, but talking to some universities lower down the league tables they have said they will accept the EPQ and 2 A Levels. Universities believe that the EPQ is extremely useful and incredibly desirable, and from talking to some admissions officers they would pick a student who has completed an EPQ, over a student who hasn't. I am aiming to improve my Sociology grade by 3 with the help of my peers and teachers (which I have done with Psychology), however, if worst does come to worst then I will take up the 2 A Levels and the EPQ as this will be my best option. My school will not allow me to stay back a year, they feel I don't need to.
I think this is rather harsh, yes they may not help me, but talking to some universities lower down the league tables they have said they will accept the EPQ and 2 A Levels. Universities believe that the EPQ is extremely useful and incredibly desirable, and from talking to some admissions officers they would pick a student who has completed an EPQ, over a student who hasn't. I am aiming to improve my Sociology grade by 3 with the help of my peers and teachers (which I have done with Psychology), however, if worst does come to worst then I will take up the 2 A Levels and the EPQ as this will be my best option. My school will not allow me to stay back a year, they feel I don't need to.

OK suit yourself I am just telling you what I would do to protect my best interests and make sure I got off to a good start in my HE career. If you find a uni that will take you on 2 A levels then good for you. I only see 75% of unis being removed from my potential choices.

EPQs arent incredibly desirable and a lot of unis do not take them into account. They make for a slightly more interesting application and can make a difference if they are tied in choosing. They can be worth 8-28 UCAS points. It might suit you but id prefer three good A levels and if that mean me taking a gap to finish the 3rd, then that would be time well spent if it meant getting into a better uni. Lots of unis just want your money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending