The Student Room Group

Hazard perception

The scoring window seems so ambiguous, I just can't get my head around it. They say you should click as soon as you see a developing hazard but on the official clip by the DVSA it says you should click when you would take action. So which is it? if you click when it's an actual hazard i.e stopping or breaking that's not a developing hazard which is so confusing. So do I click when I would take action or as soon as I see i.e let's say there's two children walking on the pavement obviously they are only a potential hazard at this point but let's say one of the children drops the ball though you're still some way from them, would click now or until you get closer and stop?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
You click on something you could see potentially becoming a hazard. Because of this, a clip will have loads of "fake hazards", that look like they could turn into a hazard, but don't. However, one of these (or two, as there is one clip that has two), will actually turn into a proper hazard, and the reaction to those hazards is what you are marked on.
Reply 3
Original post by maeger
You click on something you could see potentially becoming a hazard. Because of this, a clip will have loads of "fake hazards", that look like they could turn into a hazard, but don't. However, one of these (or two, as there is one clip that has two), will actually turn into a proper hazard, and the reaction to those hazards is what you are marked on.

Oh okay, thanks. When you say you're marked on your reaction to those developing hazards, does that mean you click way before they unfold or only when you the driver would take action? that's the bit I'm confused about.
Reply 4
Original post by Anagogic
Oh okay, thanks. When you say you're marked on your reaction to those developing hazards, does that mean you click way before they unfold or only when you the driver would take action? that's the bit I'm confused about.

Id say you click as soon as you spot a potential hazard. For example, if you see a cyclist about to emerge from a side road and you think theyre going to reduce your speed, you would click as soon as you spot the cyclist ON the side road.
This might help https://youtu.be/Ijgzc6keq1k
Reply 5
Click as soon as you see a potential hazard. There will be one or two where you get marked on, the earlier you click then the more points you get. But if you click randomly then you will be penalised. However If there is a potential hazard and it doesn't turn into one then you won't be penalised.
I clicked when I saw a potential hazard developing and again when I’d take action and I did quite well on hazard perception. Just don’t click loads or you’d be disqualified (like the guy in the booth next to me 😬)
Reply 7
Thanks for the responses. I can spot a developing hazard it's just the clicking window which is the tricky part. Also to cover yourself i.e clicking say 2 to 3 times once for when you first spot the hazard then again when it develops and lastly as you take action, I'm scared that the software will detect that I've been cheating.
Reply 8
Thanks for the responses. I can spot a developing hazard it's just the clicking window which is the tricky part. Also to cover yourself i.e clicking say 2 to 3 times once for when you first spot the hazard then again when it develops and lastly as you take action, I'm scared that the software will detect that I've been cheating.

If you click too many times you lose all the points for that hazard. Because otherwise you could click non-stop for the whole clIP!
Reply 9
UPDATE: Passed my theory test today with 50/50 and 66/75. What I would say is compared to practice clips found on apps the actual test is far easier to the point where the developing hazard is staring right into your face. So as long as you can spot a developing hazard and can scan the road effectively you should have no concerns.
The way I was told is to click when you see a potential hazard and click again if the hazard develops. For example if you see a pedestrian looking like they might cross the road in front of you then click and if they actually do walk out in front of you then click again.
Get the official DVSA app from the app store. You can practise the hazard perception and then you can review the video and it shows the points you get for clicking at particular times. Eventually you’ll get the hang of what they want you to look out for and when to press.
Reply 12
Original post by Unknown-99
The way I was told is to click when you see a potential hazard and click again if the hazard develops. For example if you see a pedestrian looking like they might cross the road in front of you then click and if they actually do walk out in front of you then click again.

Original post by alevelphysicist
Get the official DVSA app from the app store. You can practise the hazard perception and then you can review the video and it shows the points you get for clicking at particular times. Eventually you’ll get the hang of what they want you to look out for and when to press.

I was just looking for some last minute pointers. Actually did my theory today at 5:45 and managed to score 50/50 and 66/75. Hopefully anyone else who's struggling will stumble across this thread. Apart from dual carriageways/ motorways where you're moving pretty fast the other clips are exceptionally easy to spot as you have time to fully absorb the situation unfolding ahead.
When I did it last year, I made sure to follow up click about two times after the initial sign of the hazard. I ended up getting 72/75. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by Spratty
When I did it last year, I made sure to follow up click about two times after the initial sign of the hazard. I ended up getting 72/75. Good luck!

I passed :smile: Sat it today at 5:45. It's far easier than the practice clips. I think where people go wrong is that they are frightened to click enough thus they miss the scoring window. A girl next to me was spamming the mouse, literally a click happened every couple of seconds and she passed!! I think for most clips I only clicked 3 or 4 times so I was probably too conservative but I comfortably passed at least.
I was just looking for some last minute pointers. Actually did my theory today at 5:45 and managed to score 50/50 and 66/75. Hopefully anyone else who's struggling will stumble across this thread. Apart from dual carriageways/ motorways where you're moving pretty fast the other clips are exceptionally easy to spot as you have time to fully absorb the situation unfolding ahead.

Well done :smile:

Well done on passing. Just the practical left now :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Unknown-99
Well done on passing. Just the practical left now :smile:

Cheers, just the easy part left now 😕
I passed :smile: Sat it today at 5:45. It's far easier than the practice clips. I think where people go wrong is that they are frightened to click enough thus they miss the scoring window. A girl next to me was spamming the mouse, literally a click happened every couple of seconds and she passed!! I think for most clips I only clicked 3 or 4 times so I was probably too conservative but I comfortably passed at least.

Nice one! Don't wait a year before you start learning to drive like I did! Start learning straight away, while all that knowledge is fresh in your head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending