The Student Room Group

UWS Midwifery Applicants 2019

Hello everyone!

Just thought I would get a wee head start on chatting to anyone applying to UWS to study Midwifery in 2019 :smile: I'm hoping this time applying will be 3rd time luck for me! The previous couple of times I have applied to uni I have got chatting to some really lovely people on here so I'm hoping this time I can do the same x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The process has changed since I last applied as first time I went for numerousy/literacy tests then an individual interview. They now don’t do testing and it’s a group interview which I haven’t done as I didn’t make it to interview first time unfortunately.

Yeh well first time I was unsuccessful after interview and my feedback was then they felt I had a sound overall knowledge of the role of a midwife but they would have liked me to have drilled down more into it at interview. I then booked my wedding for the following year to cheer me up after getting an unsuccessful and then out of no where, 1 week before the course started I got an email offering me a place from the reserve list which I didn’t even know I was on. Unfortunately as I had the wedding to pay for I couldn’t afford to give up my job so I had to decline :frown:

This year I didn’t even make it to interview stage and my feedback was that they didn’t feel I had any relevant healthcare experience (which I don’t to be fair but I didn’t the first time around either lol) so they recommended that I do anything I possibly could to get some experience. I’m currently on a breastfeeding peer support course which will allow me to volunteer on maternity wards helping new mums establishing feeding before leaving the hospital so I’m really hoping it will help my application but I’m also just really excited to start volunteering and helping people!

What sort of background are you coming from? If you don’t have healthcare experience I would recommend trying to get some but if you do then I would say that gives you a great start! Are you going to the UWS open day in October? I’m going to go along and I’m going to hold off putting my application in until afterwards incase anything crops up that I could put in. I’m really praying this is my year because I don’t know if I could cope with the disappointment if another unsuccessful x
Reply 2
Original post by MrsSL1
Napier will probably be my first choice and UWS my second.

I'm a mature applicant with 3 children.

I'm currently a Healthcare Support Worker with the NHS. I've got experience in a variety of wards, including Maternity - Labour Suite and wards. l've applied for a few jobs in Neonatal, and have an interview for one soon.

Hoping the work experience will hold me in good stead.

I have A's and B's for my highers (plus a HND in Business), so think I'm okay academically, meeting the entry requirements.

I've not thought about the open days yet actually.

Oh wow you have perfect experience then! They suggested to me to get experience in any sort of capacity, even in a care home so your experience will be perfect :smile:

How recently did you last study? I applied to Napier last year and I have all A’s and B’s in my highers and also have a BA degree in history but they told me they considered all of my qualifications to be out of date as they were over 5 years old (I graduated uni in 2011). They came back to me asking me to do an access course before reapplying.

I wish you the best of luck! X
Reply 3
Original post by MrsSL1
I did a higher in 2014 and I'm hoping to be l doing Higher Human Biology this year. Fingers crossed that will be enough.

Good luck to you too x

Yeh I think that should be enough because it shows you have recent study. When will u be applying? X
Reply 4
I've no idea. I've made a start on the personal statement but its only the first paragraph.

You?
Reply 5
Original post by MrsSL1
I've no idea. I've made a start on the personal statement but its only the first paragraph.

You?

I’ve started on mine too but I’m waiting till after I start properly volunteering on the postnatal wards and until after the open day to finish it off and submit it because I want to make sure it’s perfect this time before I put it in x
Hi

I am going to be applying for the 2019 intake as well,
I have been accepted onto adult nursing at Stirling starting Sept this year and will start the course but am hoping I can get into the midwifery, failing that will complete my nursing and go from there.
Reply 7
Original post by Lisamcc81
Hi

I am going to be applying for the 2019 intake as well,
I have been accepted onto adult nursing at Stirling starting Sept this year and will start the course but am hoping I can get into the midwifery, failing that will complete my nursing and go from there.

Hi there 😊

Oh fab! Did u apply for midwifery this year or did u just apply for nursing? X
Original post by Terri1990
Hi there 😊

Oh fab! Did u apply for midwifery this year or did u just apply for nursing? X

Hi

I just applied for Nursing, I didn't do enough research and didn't think I would be considered for midwifery but when I read the requirements on UWS I was gutted so going to give it a shot. X
Reply 9
Original post by Lisamcc81
Hi

I just applied for Nursing, I didn't do enough research and didn't think I would be considered for midwifery but when I read the requirements on UWS I was gutted so going to give it a shot. X

Good for you. Best of luck to you 😊 and doing your year of nursing will give you lots of relevant experience to talk about in your personal statement and at interview x
Good for you. Best of luck to you 😊 and doing your year of nursing will give you lots of relevant experience to talk about in your personal statement and at interview x

Thank you!

Definately :smile:

Good luck! X
Reply 11
Hi Lisa! R u starting uni this week? Just wanted to say good luck to u! Enjoy 😊 x
Hi Lisa! R u starting uni this week? Just wanted to say good luck to u! Enjoy 😊 x

Hi

Yeah start on Monday 🙂
Thank you xx
Reply 13
Hi I'm a first year at UWS if you have any questions just give me a message :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by nikx
Hi I'm a first year at UWS if you have any questions just give me a message :smile:

Eeeekkkkk yes I have a million questions haha!!

Firstly, congrats on getting your place 😊 hope you are enjoying it. I’m coming along to the Lanarkshire open day at the end of the month and I can’t wait to see the new campus.

Do you have any tips for helping make the personal statement jump out or anything to include? I’m so nervous about submitting even though I’ve had my personal statement finished for ages now lol. Also, do you remember roughly when u had ur interview? I won’t bombard you with questions right now haha, but I will defo have more going forward if I’m lucky enough to get an interview! Thanks so much 😘 x
Reply 15
Give me a private message x
Hi!
I am applying for midwfiery 2019 and i am in year 13.
I am studying Level 3 Applied science and attended some breastfeeding support groups,
I dont know if ill have a chance, but i really need to find more work experience!

Any ideas?
Reply 17
Hi - congratulations on getting accepted!!! I am currently in 6th year so this will be my first attempt at trying to get into midwifery. UWS is my first choice. Do you know if they accept many school leavers?
Reply 18
Has anyone submitted their application and heard back yet? I’m still too scared to submit mine even though it has been finished for weeks lol! Also, is anyone else going to the open day st the Lanarkshire campus on Saturday 😊? X
Reply 19
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself 😊 my name is Cheryl, I’m a 32 year old mature student hoping to apply for the 2019 intake. I’m a mum of one with another due next month 🙈 some of you may remember seeing ‘the pregnant girl’ at the open day a few weeks ago!
Is anyone going to the evening next week organised by the midwifery society?
You are all so organised, I haven’t started my personal statement yet because in truth I have absolutely no idea where to start! I’ve been out of education for 15 years now so feeling very out of my depth, but I’m determined to give it a shot this year and see where it takes me. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending