The Student Room Group

I have no idea what to study - help!

Help! I have to apply for uni in the next few months but have no idea what to do! I did higher biology chemistry English maths and modern studies last year and got BCBAA and am doing advanced higher biology and English and higher history and politics this year but am considering swapping one for a language. I really want to do a course which will allow me to travel as I’m very interested in other countries and cultures but I haven’t done any languages before so don’t think I’ll be able to study one now and I’m not even sure this is really what I want. Please help - it’s much appreciated!
Original post by evemaydixon
Help! I have to apply for uni in the next few months but have no idea what to do! I did higher biology chemistry English maths and modern studies last year and got BCBAA and am doing advanced higher biology and English and higher history and politics this year but am considering swapping one for a language. I really want to do a course which will allow me to travel as I’m very interested in other countries and cultures but I haven’t done any languages before so don’t think I’ll be able to study one now and I’m not even sure this is really what I want. Please help - it’s much appreciated!

Maybe I'm wrong but from your comment you seem unsure about what you want; maybe you should consider a gap year from uni so you have more time to think about your options. At least this way, you won't choose an option you'll regret later.
Reply 2
Original post by sadsushi
Maybe I'm wrong but from your comment you seem unsure about what you want; maybe you should consider a gap year from uni so you have more time to think about your options. At least this way, you won't choose an option you'll regret later.

Your completely right but I have no idea what to do in a gap year either! I don’t have enough money saved to travel and I live in the country so can’t get a job without having to travel a while to get there. But choosing something I’m gonna regret is something I’m worried about right now
Your completely right but I have no idea what to do in a gap year either! I don’t have enough money saved to travel and I live in the country so can’t get a job without having to travel a while to get there. But choosing something I’m gonna regret is something I’m worried about right now

Maybe you could use the gap year to go into more research regarding uni options; if you know anyone who may have studied similar courses try talking to them so you can get advice. Also, you could try attending uni open days/fairs so you can ask questions regarding your course options so you know what is best for you.

Even if you don't choose to go to uni, it's fine as there are other alternatives.
I agree with everyone else
Take a gap year
You need to take the time to find out what you want to do otherwise you could find yourself very unhappy.....

Also you never know what a gap year could lead you to!! (Both in terms of career, education and character/personality)

Out of interest, how old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?
First setence is wrong.
Nobody "has" to apply for university. You need to decide if university is the right path for you.:yep: Don't let any family or teachers put an expectation on you for your next steps: it's your life not theirs.

Lots of people choose to pick up languages at university too.:smile:

Have a think about what career prospects you'd be interested in (that's different to committing to a specific job), and research how you can get there, and whether that involves university or not.

Remember there's #NoWrongPath :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Forestfire66
I agree with everyone else
Take a gap year
You need to take the time to find out what you want to do otherwise you could find yourself very unhappy.....

Also you never know what a gap year could lead you to!! (Both in terms of career, education and character/personality)

Out of interest, how old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?

Thank you for your help! I’m 16 and in my last year at school
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
First setence is wrong.
Nobody "has" to apply for university. You need to decide if university is the right path for you.:yep: Don't let any family or teachers put an expectation on you for your next steps: it's your life not theirs.

Lots of people choose to pick up languages at university too.:smile:

Have a think about what career prospects you'd be interested in (that's different to committing to a specific job), and research how you can get there, and whether that involves university or not.

Remember there's #NoWrongPath :wink:

Thank you so much or your advice! I definitely feel like teachers especially are pushing me towards going to uni which definitely puts on a lot of pressure
Reply 8
Original post by sadsushi
Maybe you could use the gap year to go into more research regarding uni options; if you know anyone who may have studied similar courses try talking to them so you can get advice. Also, you could try attending uni open days/fairs so you can ask questions regarding your course options so you know what is best for you.

Even if you don't choose to go to uni, it's fine as there are other alternatives.

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely try and go to open days
Reply 9
I know everyone’s suggesting a gap year but what’s do I do in one? I can’t just sit around and I don’t want to get a job which I know I won’t enjoy
Thank you so much or your advice! I definitely feel like teachers especially are pushing me towards going to uni which definitely puts on a lot of pressure
F*** 'em. It's your life not theirs.
Original post by 04MR17
F*** 'em. It's your life not theirs.

Could not agree more on this point. Teachers are only there to pave a suitable career paths for their students, not to live the life for the student so all advice should be done with caution from a teacher. The quantity of students I have come across that state "But my teacher said I should do this at uni because I am good at it" is absurd.

Each to their own.
I know everyone’s suggesting a gap year but what’s do I do in one? I can’t just sit around and I don’t want to get a job which I know I won’t enjoy

You can go travelling? Exploring new adventures on your journey?

Or... you can go the apprenticeship/internship route?

You've got loads of time to figure it out 😊

As other people have said, in your gap year you could do loads.
Research into uni, free online courses in the topics you're interested in (can help you decide which you have the best self-study discipline in), could do another 1 year formal course to help uni application / study skills, work (anywhere that sounds OK, never know if you'll enjoy it or where it'll lead, all good life experience), volunteer (definitely have a look at places away from home which offer accommodation, you'll be surprised), join new clubs, start new hobbies.... The time will fly by and the amount of experience and character you'll build is massive. That extra year will also give you loads more certainty on what you want to do and maturity/self-discipline for your success.

As someone else mentioned, you don't *have* to apply for uni in the next few months. Don't rush into something you're not sure of.
Also look at it this way... If you take up a gap year and make good use of it, imagine how you'd stand out next to most grads when you finish uni... Not meaning to stereotype, but most graduates typically have very same academic capacity, maybe a 'typical' student job, and a couple of clubs/societies.... You could have work experience, volunteering, further qualifications, travel/cultural/personality, maturity and more!!

Also, as someone else said said, f*** 'em, it's your life 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending