The Student Room Group

Bus Driver tells woman to remove niqab face veil

A bus company has apologised after a driver told a woman to remove her niqab face veil.
The woman was travelling from Easton to Bristol city centre when the driver told her "this world is dangerous" and demanded to see her face.

She told Bristol Live he "continued to insult" her and made her out to "be a terrorist". First Bus apologised to the passenger and said the driver had been disciplined over his outburst.

Link to BBC News article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45148291

What is your view on this?

To me... I don't agree with the situation - I don't think it should be a bus driver making the question...

HOWEVER... I agree with the bus driver in how he says "If you don't see somebody's face, that's not good in this time we live".

If I was a bus driver, I would have allowed that person on the bus, however, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

For safety reasons, I don't think niqab's/burqa's should be worn. It's not about being racist and saying "they look dangerous" or "they may be a terrorist". It's about safety too. What if someone wearing a niqab or burqa had a knife on them? What if it was something as little as someone wearing a niqab/burqa stealing someone's mobile phone? How would someone describe that person to the Police?

In the same way if someone of another religion, or a Christian person, or even a British person who is an atheist... if they wore clothing that covered everything on their face other than their eyes, it would be exactly the same. It's not about pointing to religion. It's now modern day society and our safety.

Covering everything up on your face, except for your eyes, regardless of sex or religion, is surely a safety risk? Motorcyclists are asked to remove their helmet in banks/petrol stations/public places.

If I walked into a bank or night club with everything covered up except my eyes, people would probably think I was going to rob the bank, or do something serious in a night club. Why would they think that? Because I'd be trying to cover my identity - covering up who I am.

I believe everyone has the right to wear what they want, to be themselves and believe in what they want to, but when it comes to covering up your face - basically covering up your identity and your personality, it's just not right. It doesn't feel right. It's a security risk.

If you had an iPhone X, you wouldn't even be able to unlock your phone using Face ID anyway. As funny as that may sound, even to a phone, it's a security risk.

What are your thoughts?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can i wear a balaclava as a white male in public without drawing attention?. Same rules go for niquabs , hijabs i have no problems with, but it could literally be ANYONE under the niquab , just as it could be anyone under a balaclava that a white male or female could be wearing.

Also, if we go to islamic countries we HAVE to obey their laws (punishments are severe), however, here you are supposed to have some sort of leniency?, why?.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 2scotty
A bus company has apologised after a driver told a woman to remove her niqab face veil.
The woman was travelling from Easton to Bristol city centre when the driver told her "this world is dangerous" and demanded to see her face.

She told Bristol Live he "continued to insult" her and made her out to "be a terrorist". First Bus apologised to the passenger and said the driver had been disciplined over his outburst.

Link to BBC News article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45148291

To me... I don't agree with the situation - I don't think it should be a bus driver making the question...

HOWEVER... I agree with the bus driver in how he says "If you don't see somebody's face, that's not good in this time we live".

If I was a bus driver, I would have allowed that person on the bus, however, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

For safety reasons, I don't think niqab's/burqa's should be worn. It's not about being racist and saying "they look dangerous" or "they may be a terrorist". It's about safety too. What if someone wearing a niqab or burqa had a knife on them? What if it was something as little as someone wearing a niqab/burqa stealing someone's mobile phone? How would someone describe that person to the Police?

In the same way if someone of another religion, or a Christian person, or even a British person who is an atheist... if they wore clothing that covered everything on their face other than their eyes, it would be exactly the same. It's not about pointing to religion. It's now modern day society and our safety.

Covering everything up on your face, except for your eyes, regardless of sex or religion, is surely a safety risk? Motorcyclists are asked to remove their helmet in banks/petrol stations/public places.

If I walked into a bank or night club with everything covered up except my eyes, people would probably think I was going to rob the bank, or do something serious in a night club. Why would they think that? Because I'd be trying to cover my identity - covering up who I am.

I believe everyone has the right to wear what they want, to be themselves and believe in what they want to, but when it comes to covering up your face - basically covering up your identity and your personality, it's just not right. It doesn't feel right. It's a security risk.

If you had an iPhone X, you wouldn't even be able to unlock your phone using Face ID anyway. As funny as that may sound, even to a phone, it's a security risk.

What are your thoughts?

Okay, im going to put this out there. As a Niqaab wearer I have and always will reveal my face if it poses a security risks. It would avoid a hassle and quite frankly I want to reassure the second party that has an issue should they assume that I pose a security risk because they cannot see my whole face.

In terms of the bus driver, I can see the stance he is taking however it was uncalled for on this occasion.

To point out your Iphone example is invalid- There is something called as home in which a Niqaabi can take her niqaab off therefore they can use face recgonition at home. Out and about they can use the pincode feature.
(edited 5 years ago)
if the lady was using a photo ID bus pass then it would make sense to see her face ?

:dontknow:
Original post by 2scotty

What are your thoughts?

My friend who works as a nurse went to work in her Wicca costume including a magic wand, and they made her remove it and put on a nurse uniform.

Terrible I say, what a breach of her human rights.

(Actually I just made this story up, but I hope it serves the purpose).
Maybe if she was using a bus pass then you can understand why they need to see their face
Reply 6
Original post by dualseveral
My friend who works as a nurse went to work in her Wicca costume including a magic wand, and they made her remove it and put on a nurse uniform.

Terrible I say, what a breach of her human rights.

(Actually I just made this story up, but I hope it serves the purpose).

Da***?
Original post by HobnobGoblin
Maybe if she was using a bus pass then you can understand why they need to see their face

Would have thought this would be more common down London, evidently not.
Original post by Foggel
but it could literally be ANYONE under the niquab

Where as understand the sentiment of your post, what difference does it make getting onto a bus. You could be a terrorist with or without a niquab, balaclava or anything else. Removing your head gear doesn't change your anonymity. I think this whole Muslim terrorist debate is just fascicle. The idea that a Muslim, face covered or not might be a terrorist is as pathetic as suggesting that anyone wearing a black and white stripped jersey and a bag with "swag" written on it is going to rob you. It is completely different to the very genuine debate of whether we as a society choose to allow women to completely cover up.
Reply 9
To be perfectly honest if some whale in a crop top and shorts/skirt is allowed to wander around town offending my eyes I see absolutely no problem with someone wearing a burqua/chador etc.
Original post by 2scotty
What if someone wearing a niqab or burqa had a knife on them?

Didn't know you could hide a knife under a burqa
Oh, please. FFS you guys seriously think that banning Niqab is going to stop terrorist attacks?

Its funny to me. The woman wearing a Niqab shouldn't have had to go through this despicable experience.

Unfortuately due to idiots who think that its acceptable to say such things and refuse entry onto the bus its going to scare women who WANT to wear the Niqab but won't due to being AFRAID OF BEING HARASSED.

****ing Idiots.

Sorry for my profanity, it is late and I keep hearing these stories and it makes me so angry.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by 2scotty

For safety reasons, I don't think niqab's/burqa's should be worn. It's not about being racist and saying "they look dangerous" or "they may be a terrorist". It's about safety too. What if someone wearing a niqab or burqa had a knife on them?

given that nearly all of the knife offenders tend to stick the articles in their hoodies/jeans/bags or what not, and decidedly not their niqab, isnt this comment more a rationale for banning the aforementioned western garments?
Original post by Foggel
Can i wear a balaclava as a white male in public without drawing attention?. Same rules go for niquabs , hijabs i have no problems with, but it could literally be ANYONE under the niquab , just as it could be anyone under a balaclava that a white male or female could be wearing.

Also, if we go to islamic countries we HAVE to obey their laws (punishments are severe), however, here you are supposed to have some sort of leniency?, why?.

Because they don't stand around trying to reason with people who break the law. They put them in line and aren't interested in protest. We could learn a lot from them.
Original post by Napp
To be perfectly honest if some whale in a crop top and shorts/skirt is allowed to wander around town offending my eyes I see absolutely no problem with someone wearing a burqua/chador etc.

Over the last few weeks I have seen far too much fat and cellulite for any year.

The calling someone a terrorist is unacceptable. The person who should also be in the dock is Boris Johnson, of course.
Original post by Napp
given that nearly all of the knife offenders tend to stick the articles in their hoodies/jeans/bags or what not, and decidedly not their niqab, isnt this comment more a rationale for banning the aforementioned western garments?

You do realise that Burqa also have pockets right?
Reply 16
Original post by Silentpercp2
You do realise that Burqa also have pockets right?

What is your point?
Did she thank the bus driver tho? Maybe that's why he got angry...

Jk
just ban it, already.
Original post by Napp
What is your point?

That one can hide weapons in there too.

Common sense is not common nowadays I see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending