The Student Room Group

Does interest in gaming gets lost when getting older?

Hi gamers! :smile:

My question refers especially to people who turned the age of 25 and older (but also the younger ones).

Just to exclude misunderstandings a priori: I am still interest in gaming and playing games with passion, it is just another interests were added to gaming and so video games decreased in my priority: once I played a favorite game of my own for many hours, I am reading a book instead. Once I bought many games in a gaming shop or on a flea market, I spend my money for good books to read and for out- and indoor activities with friends. Don't mention the everyday life.

By thinking about my own importance of gaming, I wonder how important it is for passionate gamers in matured adult age. Are you guys still full of passion when playing video games? has the number of playing hours decreased in our leisure time? are you still living in memories and nostalgia when thinking about gaming in the past?

Scroll to see replies

I'm 33 and modern gaming doesn't even come close to my days. Kids these days succumb to numbers and buzzwords, and so the same old tripe constantly gets repeated.
This is an interesting question; I definitely don't spend as much time playing games these days as I used to in my teenage years, but back then I hadn't really discovered anime. Once I did, gaming was soon relegated to a secondary hobby. But I'd say that was less to do with aging, and more to do with finding my true calling. :p:
I still like gaming, but I tend to stick to one or two at a time now. I don't spend as much time as I used to, because I know its not healthy. I still like them but won't game got the sake of it now, only if something is really good.
Reply 4
I'm 18 and have already given up on it a lot. Just once in a while/ocassionally do I play.
I should also add that I'm almost exclusively a retro gamer, playing mostly titles I enjoyed in childhood, or other games that came out around the same time which I missed out on. So yeah, the nostalgia is a big factor.
Reply 6
I don't think you lose interest, just lose the free time to really be able to get into a game. I used to game alot, now its barely a few hours each week purely due to lack of free time.
I've just turned 25 (cough) and I still love gaming. There was a period where I stopped playing, but I think it's very common for people in their 30s/40s to game. I'm old enough to remember gaming in the 90s and it does bring back memories of childhood.

Online gaming obviously adds a new dimension and parts of it can be very enjoyable. I play with a few friends, but some games are unplayable due to toxicity...League of Legends is horrendous. I made a mistake when I first started to play and someone told me they hoped my mum would die (among other things). I think toxicity is just getting worse.
I’m 20 and I can say definitively that 16 onwards I’ve lost a lot of interest in gaming.
Reply 9
Original post by YaliaV
I'm old enough to remember gaming in the 90s and it does bring back memories of childhood.

Lol you make that sound like it was so far away. You're talking about the PS2 era there.. Seems only yesterday!
I don't think you lose interest in video games in general, maybe just the ones you loved when you were younger. You'll find that there are games better suited for mature audiences, e.g. ESO, Secret World Legends.
Original post by Reue
Lol you make that sound like it was so far away. You're talking about the PS2 era there.. Seems only yesterday!

Early 90s😅 I know what you mean though
Reply 12
Original post by YaliaV
Early 90s😅 I know what you mean though

There is no way you were gaming in the early 90s, young'un :wink:
Original post by Kallisto
Hi gamers! :smile:

My question refers especially to people who turned the age of 25 and older (but also the younger ones).

Just to exclude misunderstandings a priori: I am still interest in gaming and playing games with passion, it is just another interests were added to gaming and so video games decreased in my priority: once I played a favorite game of my own for many hours, I am reading a book instead. Once I bought many games in a gaming shop or on a flea market, I spend my money for good books to read and for out- and indoor activities with friends. Don't mention the everyday life.

By thinking about my own importance of gaming, I wonder how important it is for passionate gamers in matured adult age. Are you guys still full of passion when playing video games? has the number of playing hours decreased in our leisure time? are you still living in memories and nostalgia when thinking about gaming in the past?

i think what i've lost interest in is getting starting gaming again... when i get started i bet i'd get really stuck in. but why have i lost interest in trying? its simply because i wake up at 7 and get home at 7, i'm knackered and feel i have to make time for reading when i get home to keep my mind active. then at the weekend i like to go out so i dont want to be stuck in gaming
(edited 5 years ago)
I gave up on it when I was 14, but still play once every few months.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I should also add that I'm almost exclusively a retro gamer, playing mostly titles I enjoyed in childhood, or other games that came out around the same time which I missed out on. So yeah, the nostalgia is a big factor.

Me too, AJ! I am a retro gamer for my life! and I also playing games from the past I enjoyed in my childhood. Nostalgia for myself is the biggest factor to play video games again. It is like a trip back to the past when gaming was so enjoyable.

Guess it is similar to your own situation: I found my true calling by reading books, and as I am still keen on reading manga and watching anime, gaming came maybe as third in my doings.
Original post by Reue
There is no way you were gaming in the early 90s, young'un :wink:

I must have been thinking of someone else 😁
Surely it would depend in the gamer. You would have different priorities and demands on your time when older though such as career, wife and kids.
Games are very subject to rose-tinted nostalgia as the medium has changed so quickly so a lot of people get jaded and think the games they played growing up were part of some golden age and somehow superior in every way to the improvements that came after them. It has broadened a lot, like film, but there is still the core appeal there has always been.
(edited 5 years ago)
My passion for gaming is still very much there but sadly, my time is not :sad:

However, should I be lucky enough to reach my retirement, I can totally envision myself spending hours on my old Mega Drive and NES :shakecane: :clap2:

Quick Reply

Latest