The Student Room Group

Worst mistakes made during uni

What are some of the worst decisions you've made while at university, like some of the stuff you really regret doing?

Scroll to see replies

Not studying effectively - caused me to resit an exam that I then failed. I have to resit 2nd year now. I regret the time I wasted not doing any revision and the worst thing is - I knew the consequences of that a failed resit would have. I still went ahead and didn't revise. Now I am paying for it by resitting the year. I also failed a year at school so you'd think I would have learned my lesson.
Reply 2
This is more of a general problem, but I'm still not very good and keeping up with the many many people I meet
I personally regret not trying as hard as I could in my first year - especially in my essays. I set my targets pretty low for myself (2:2) which I achieved in my essays. When I did get my act together and went after my first class i fell short on my overall average. Whilst i'm still in a comfortable position, vacation schemes for my law course could be a little trickier to get - as I now have an average 2:1 for first year. :tongue:
(edited 5 years ago)
Enjoying uni life. The whole experience.
Reply 5
going
Original post by Ol94
going

Nice one mate:smile:
I regret not joining any societies or sports teams until third year
I regret spending too much time studying and working as a postgrad, not enough time supporting bullied younger students.
A few of the victims have died.
Others have been left totally broken by years of lecturer insults and violent abuse from other students.
I'm going into 2nd year and I regret not putting as much effort in to assignments and work. I just settled for "That's close enough" or "that'll do" when I should have pushed myself harder.
Original post by NoEaze
What are some of the worst decisions you've made while at university, like some of the stuff you really regret doing?

-Pulling all-nighters in first year
- Repeatedly procrastinating during the years and cramming in the last month before each exam
- Not learning from said procrastination and doing it year after year. Hopefully this year (my last) is when I'll snap out of it.
Original post by londonmyst
I regret spending too much time studying and working as a postgrad, not enough time supporting bullied younger students.
A few of the victims have died.
Others have been left totally broken by years of lecturer insults and violent abuse from other students.

Hey that is tragic. Why did no-one do anything? It really is very upsetting to hear that.
Original post by AnxiousMoron
-Pulling all-nighters in first year
- Repeatedly procrastinating during the years and cramming in the last month before each exam
- Not learning from said procrastination and doing it year after year. Hopefully this year (my last) is when I'll snap out of it.

Hey that is exactly me. That is the uni life.
Not starting two assignments that were due in on the same day until the day before. I ended up completing one to reasonably decent standard, and handing in the other half finished (1500 words below the word count) and without a bibliography.

Got 30% or something like that for that second one, which was 50% of the module. I was angry at myself as I was on for a comfortable 1st for both that module and my first year, but dragged the module grade down to 50 something %. Luckily, I still scraped a 1st for the year with a 71%.

It was only first year, so on the whole it doesn't matter, but knowing how I felt afterwards I think will stop me making the same mistake again. I remember feeling so guilty and disappointed in myself for getting lazy on one of my final assignments after working pretty hard for the entire year up until that point. Especially when I thought I might not get the 1st that previously looked nailed on.

It's sort of a non-problem now since I guess things worked out, but at the time I wasn't happy with myself.
- Not doing a studying exchange abroad (Not me, I went to Australia which was the best year of my life. But my friends expressed regret of not applying due to having a GF)
- Getting extensive work experience (I gained loads of experience in my final year but I wish I started in my first year)
- Not saving my student loan
- Not getting a part time job during first year.
- Not doing my driving lessons (when I had the most free time and money)
- Not travelling as much (city breaks in europe)
- Being lazy and not starting my assignments earlier (I got a First anyway but the stress and all nighters could have been avoided)
- Regret not joining a sports club
(edited 5 years ago)
The university has a terrible image problem and has become too much of a hub for cranks leading to cuts in government funding.
Losing EU funding meant desperation, big financial cuts and a dependence on alternative means of generating funding.

There is one senior science lecturer who is pure evil with his own large faction of staff and students.
Every year he choose 3-4 people to bully and makes their lives miserable until the day they leave.
He's a a blackmailer and a thug- but over the years he has built up access to important contacts, funding networks and is politically connected.
No one in their right mind gets on the wrong side of him.
A few victims were too frightened to attend their graduation ceremonies, knowing that he was presiding.

The university lets him rule as if he's a roman emperor.
Confidential complaints to the registry from witnesses about him being violent and abusive to students are immediately passed on to him.
He demands the courseworks and exam papers of all the students he bullies are brought to his office so he can fail them below 20%- the other staff mostly obey him.
A few of the bravest senior lecturers go behind his back and play ping pong with student grades after he's issued the fails.

Everytime I set foot on that campus I hear him yelling the vilest abuse, having violent fights with students and making foul threats.
My father has known him for decades and wasn't at all surprised when I told him the things I'd seen.

It's like the law doesn't apply to him and anyone who mentions it gets cold shouldered or worse.
A few staff members openly do drugs to cope, dance around campus high and totally off their faces.
The atmosphere on the science campus is absolutely terrifying, most people are depressed, cowed and walking on egg shells.

Original post by Simonthegreat
Hey that is tragic. Why did no-one do anything? It really is very upsetting to hear that.
I joint the bullingdon club too late, my friend atticus didn't let me become a full fledged member of the illuminati until years after I left, also I didn't have my first bath in moet champagne and nepalese honey until I was 25
Original post by Quixote.
Not starting two assignments that were due in on the same day until the day before. I ended up completing one to reasonably decent standard, and handing in the other half finished (1500 words below the word count) and without a bibliography.

Got 30% or something like that for that second one, which was 50% of the module. I was angry at myself as I was on for a comfortable 1st for both that module and my first year, but dragged the module grade down to 50 something %. Luckily, I still scraped a 1st for the year with a 71%.

It was only first year, so on the whole it doesn't matter, but knowing how I felt afterwards I think will stop me making the same mistake again. I remember feeling so guilty and disappointed in myself for getting lazy on one of my final assignments after working pretty hard for the entire year up until that point. Especially when I thought I might not get the 1st that previously looked nailed on.

It's sort of a non-problem now since I guess things worked out, but at the time I wasn't happy with myself.

Lol, i did something similar to this, except i just didn’t do any of my coursework for one of my modules (0 for 70% of the module), the rush i felt when i scraped a first overall was amazing, would recommend
Leaving powerlifting and not doing more extracurricular stuff
Screwing up a relationship
Reply 19
Original post by Simonthegreat
Enjoying uni life. The whole experience.

You regret enjoying it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending