The Student Room Group

Worst mistakes made during uni

Scroll to see replies

I loved university but I also have plenty of regrets.

The main one for me was spending too much time working. I made so many friends there but I did too many hours. Even got a reputation as being the guy who always wore a suit to lectures, when in reality it was just because i'd gone to work before/after.

Others:

- Not trying societies.
- Putting on so much weight that i'm finally trying to lose 6 years later.
- Not taking study seriously.
- Should have repeated 2nd year.
- Had a good group of friends gifted to me and didn't take full advantage.
Reply 21
I messed up my first year, gonna start again hopefully itll be good this time round
Original post by londonmyst
The university has a terrible image problem and has become too much of a hub for cranks leading to cuts in government funding.
Losing EU funding meant desperation, big financial cuts and a dependence on alternative means of generating funding.

There is one senior science lecturer who is pure evil with his own large faction of staff and students.
Every year he choose 3-4 people to bully and makes their lives miserable until the day they leave.
He's a a blackmailer and a thug- but over the years he has built up access to important contacts, funding networks and is politically connected.
No one in their right mind gets on the wrong side of him.
A few victims were too frightened to attend their graduation ceremonies, knowing that he was presiding.

The university lets him rule as if he's a roman emperor.
Confidential complaints to the registry from witnesses about him being violent and abusive to students are immediately passed on to him.
He demands the courseworks and exam papers of all the students he bullies are brought to his office so he can fail them below 20%- the other staff mostly obey him.
A few of the bravest senior lecturers go behind his back and play ping pong with student grades after he's issued the fails.

Everytime I set foot on that campus I hear him yelling the vilest abuse, having violent fights with students and making foul threats.
My father has known him for decades and wasn't at all surprised when I told him the things I'd seen.

It's like the law doesn't apply to him and anyone who mentions it gets cold shouldered or worse.
A few staff members openly do drugs to cope, dance around campus high and totally off their faces.
The atmosphere on the science campus is absolutely terrifying, most people are depressed, cowed and walking on egg shells.

Where is this?
That lass in second year.
There are a lot of things I ought to regret about my undergrad degree but I can't think of anything that I actually do regret from that time, or consider a really bad mistake :nah: Like there are plenty of things I wish hadn't happened/I hadn't done, but the alternatives weren't there or much better tbh :dontknow:

From my Masters course, I regret not integrating better into the department, and not really spending time making or building friendships. I also regret taking so long to apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) and not getting to know the chaplaincy team at that uni.

From my current PhD course, my main regret is not being more thorough and systematic about the way I acquire and store data. Also not keeping a "fieldwork diary". I never thought I'd need one or that having one may apply to me, but hindsight suggests otherwise! :moon:
I regret spending too much time studying and working as a postgrad, not enough time supporting bullied younger students.
A few of the victims have died.
Others have been left totally broken by years of lecturer insults and violent abuse from other students.

That sounds rough, which uni is this?
Original post by NoEaze
What are some of the worst decisions you've made while at university, like some of the stuff you really regret doing?

Not going to talk to Sir Roger Penrose when my final year project supervisor suggested it.
The university has a terrible image problem and has become too much of a hub for cranks leading to cuts in government funding.
Losing EU funding meant desperation, big financial cuts and a dependence on alternative means of generating funding.

There is one senior science lecturer who is pure evil with his own large faction of staff and students.
Every year he choose 3-4 people to bully and makes their lives miserable until the day they leave.
He's a a blackmailer and a thug- but over the years he has built up access to important contacts, funding networks and is politically connected.
A few victims were too frightened to attend their graduation ceremonies, knowing that he was presiding.

Confidential complaints to the registry from witnesses about him being violent and abusive to students are immediately passed on to him.
He demands the courseworks and exam papers of all the students he bullies are brought to his office so he can fail them below 20%- the other staff mostly obey him.
A few of the bravest senior lecturers go behind his back and play ping pong with student grades after he's issued the fails.

Everytime I set foot on that campus I hear him yelling the vilest abuse, having violent fights with students and making foul threats.
My father has known him for decades and wasn't at all surprised when I told him the things I'd seen.

It's like the law doesn't apply to him and anyone who mentions it gets cold shouldered or worse.
A few staff members openly do drugs to cope, dance around campus high and totally off their faces.
The atmosphere on the science campus is absolutely terrifying, most people are depressed, cowed and walking on egg shells.

It is sad you feel the need to hijack a thread for attention really...

That genuinely sounds terrible :frown: Which universiy is it? I'm not sure what they can do but maybe tag the TSR rep for the uni on here? You get to remain anonymous that way and hopefully it will help others be cautious.
I regret not taking driving lessons in third year (I wasn't medically able in first or second). The number of graduate jobs/professional jobs that require a driving license is SO much greater than I ever expected.
I should've joined a society in my first semester, none of my flatmates drank/went out and I only knew one person on my course who drank/went out but even then she did it very rarely. I joined a society in the second semester and made tonnes of friends within weeks who were into similar things as me, I guess with a society you always have at least 1 common interest to begin with. You might not get as unlucky as me in terms of how different you are to your course mates/flatmates but I'd join a society just in case, could always stop going to it at any point as well.

I also made the mistake of getting behind on work and planning on catching up later rather than sooner. Everyone does this at GCSE, you can something get away with it at A level but at uni it will absolutely destroy you. I'm not saying attend every lecture, you could even skip a lot of lectures if you want, just dont fall behind on content.
Not investigating societies more. I joined a few but only for hobbies I already had, or with people I already knew. I now know so many people who started cool/expensive hobbies really cheaply at uni and still go on trips with their uni society even though they've long since graduated- so they get to do a cool hobby relatively cheaply.

So if there is something you've always wanted to try, uni is the time to do it. Or else just check out all the societies and make sure there's nothing cool that you're missing.
Reply 32
The fact that I actually went to uni
London

Original post by sunnyweather
Where is this?
There's been nonstop registry complaints, student reps pushing for investigations, even a few crimestoppers and police reports.
The uni just let him carry on, nothing changes.

Original post by Simbess
That genuinely sounds terrible :frown: Which universiy is it? I'm not sure what they can do but maybe tag the TSR rep for the uni on here? You get to remain anonymous that way and hopefully it will help others be cautious.
The really sad thing is the fact that undergraduate science students who worked hard for three years and achieved good degrees against all odds, were bullied so badly that they felt too traumatized to attend their graduation ceremonies knowing that the bully would be there to subject them to more abuse.
I hope you never have that experience.

Original post by VMD100
It is sad you feel the need to hijack a thread for attention really...
There's been nonstop registry complaints, student reps pushing for investigations, even a few crimestoppers and police reports.
The uni just let him carry on, nothing changes.

@Doonesbury - you seem to be knowledgable on everything to do with universities? Maybe your advice could help here?
Reply 37
Original post by Simbess
@Doonesbury - you seem to be knowledgable on everything to do with universities? Maybe your advice could help here?

Sorry, no this isn't really my area :nope:.
Original post by Doonesbury
Sorry, no this isn't really my area :nope:.

Ah, sorry :frown:
What's the university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending