The Student Room Group

Switching course but not enough UCAS points

I know this kind of question is probably for my university to answer but before I contact them I wanted to seek advice/an insight. Basically, I have been offered a place doing journalism at a university I previously studied at ( the course was Law with a foundation year) during my foundation year I was withdrawn because of my attendance and recently have got onto this new course which is Journalism with a foundation year but the foundation year involves going to the college next to the university and doing stuff that I had already done in my previous foundation year and at A-level. I wanted to know if the university would allow me to join the normal 3-year journalism course if I asked them instead of doing the foundation year and then going onto the course. Problem being I had to apply for the journalism with foundation year course because my UCAS points weren't that great to get onto/apply for the normal 3-year undergraduate course. Will they let me switch? so essentially cutting out the foundation year which I have already half done and going onto the normal 3-year course.
Reply 1
No I highly doubt they will, unless your only a few UCAS points away from the requirement. Why not just do the foundation degree but stick it out this time and turn up, it’s kinda your fault that you have to do half of it again as you didn’t complete the last course...
Reply 2
Original post by Jkedvs
I know this kind of question is probably for my university to answer but before I contact them I wanted to seek advice/an insight. Basically, I have been offered a place doing journalism at a university I previously studied at ( the course was Law with a foundation year) during my foundation year I was withdrawn because of my attendance and recently have got onto this new course which is Journalism with a foundation year but the foundation year involves going to the college next to the university and doing stuff that I had already done in my previous foundation year and at A-level. I wanted to know if the university would allow me to join the normal 3-year journalism course if I asked them instead of doing the foundation year and then going onto the course. Problem being I had to apply for the journalism with foundation year course because my UCAS points weren't that great to get onto/apply for the normal 3-year undergraduate course. Will they let me switch? so essentially cutting out the foundation year which I have already half done and going onto the normal 3-year course.

Contact the university and ask them. They are the only people who can actually answer ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Oh, really ? Even though the majority of the course content for the foundation year I done at A-level. But thank you for the response
Reply 4
Original post by Jkedvs
Oh, really ? Even though the majority of the course content for the foundation year I done at A-level. But thank you for the response

Well it's entirely up to the university to make admissions decisions. Call them on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Why don’t you read the first sentence of my question... I said I’m gonna ask. I just wanted to see the possibility of it before asking to see if it’s a waste of time trying to change the course
Original post by Jkedvs

I may be missing something here [notwithstanding it is up to the uni], but you are going to ask them if they will let you go to the main journalism degree without foundation on the basis you have done the foundation before? @Doonesbury

Am I wrong in that the previous foundation did not go well an they essentially failed you for whatever reason? If that is correct then am unsure if saying you have done a course, which they have failed you on is going to carry much weight?

Why not just resit some A levels and then you can get to a degree without foundation?
Reply 7
No I was that uni in 2016 and was my course was law with a foundation year, which I got withdrawn from because of my attendance. I have now been given the place on the journalism with foundation year course. What I was getting at is I have previous experience of foundation years and all of the course content on the foundation year have done at A-levels. I only thought about this when I was given an unconditonal offer at another university when they referred me to go straight onto the normal journalism degrees there when I had applied for the journalism with foundation year because of my previous experience at uni and a-levels. Hence my question about asking my uni to essentially fast track me onto the first year of the degree instead of doing the foundation year. And there is no point in re doing A-levels again when doing this foundation year would take me to the course anyways
Reply 8
Original post by Jkedvs
No I was that uni in 2016 and was my course was law with a foundation year, which I got withdrawn from because of my attendance. I have now been given the place on the journalism with foundation year course. What I was getting at is I have previous experience of foundation years and all of the course content on the foundation year have done at A-levels. I only thought about this when I was given an unconditonal offer at another university when they referred me to go straight onto the normal journalism degrees there when I had applied for the journalism with foundation year because of my previous experience at uni and a-levels. Hence my question about asking my uni to essentially fast track me onto the first year of the degree instead of doing the foundation year. And there is no point in re doing A-levels again when doing this foundation year would take me to the course anyways

But you didn't complete the prior foundation. You've then applied to a different course and they have offered you entry via their foundation. If they thought you should enter in Year 1 they would have offered it.

If a different university offered you a Year 1 entry why didn't you take it?

Again, speak to your current university on Monday but don't expect a change of mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending