The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Social life at QMUL

What is the social life like at QM, do many people go out to clubs/bars frequently. Some people say it's either great or terrible. I already live in London so I know what the city has to offer,however if I do apply I plan to live on campus to get the full uni experience.

Scroll to see replies

You'll have to talk to a QMUL student directly.

I guess it's the type of person you are as London does have alot to offer.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Pearlfection1
You'll have to talk to a QMUL student directly.

I guess it's the type of person you are as London does have alot to offer.

That is why I posted it in the QMUL forum.

Just wondering though if the people are like me and enjoy going out or keep to themselves.
Reply 3
Anyone else? One of my concerns is also about the large Asian population. Btw it has nothing do with Asian people themselves (I have grown up in London after all) but rather cultural reasons. I like going out drinking ect. I don't really want to be put in a flat with people with conservative religious beliefs. I am planning on doing English and History BA too so would I socialize with people from the course.
Original post by Alexty28
What is the social life like at QM, do many people go out to clubs/bars frequently. Some people say it's either great or terrible. I already live in London so I know what the city has to offer,however if I do apply I plan to live on campus to get the full uni experience.

I'm a QM student myself and will begin 2nd year. From my experience i'd have to say the social life isn't all that great in all honesty. It just feels like going to sixth form. In all my time here, i've never been clubbing or anything similar to that. But my experience is down to me commuting and not being active enough in actually trying to socialize. I tend to just chill on campus with people. How much of a social life you have at QM (or any other uni for that matter) depends on you. If you're passive like i was, you'll be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, you make friends but the social life didnt deliver to expectations i had of a uni. Again, this is just my experience. You're living on campus so things will definitely be easier for you.

If you have any further questions ask ahead.

Cheers fella
Reply 5
Original post by Balkanstud
I'm a QM student myself and will begin 2nd year. From my experience i'd have to say the social life isn't all that great in all honesty. It just feels like going to sixth form. In all my time here, i've never been clubbing or anything similar to that. But my experience is down to me commuting and not being active enough in actually trying to socialize. I tend to just chill on campus with people. How much of a social life you have at QM (or any other uni for that matter) depends on you. If you're passive like i was, you'll be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, you make friends but the social life didnt deliver to expectations i had of a uni. Again, this is just my experience. You're living on campus so things will definitely be easier for you.

If you have any further questions ask ahead.

Cheers fella

Definitely second that, the student union puts on a good amount of events and we have our own bar (Drapers) and the societies are plenty. QMUL can be as a social as you want it to be. I have pretty mild anxiety so was too scared to be that active on campus so therefore I only really went out twice a week max, but the friends that I know who have outgoing personalities seem to be out almost every night so clearly the social opportunities are there, you just gotta take them. Also, about the diversity at QM, it reflects the diversity of London😁. From a personal view I’d say that 1/3 of the campus population is American (the loudest bunch, you’ll come to hate them by the end of year lol), 1/3 British (inc, British Asians who despite your misconceptions about their religiousness, also love to party) and 1/3 other lol. Be open to meeting new people from different backgrounds when you come here :smile: best part about the QM campus.

Spoiler

Anyone else? One of my concerns is also about the large Asian population. Btw it has nothing do with Asian people themselves (I have grown up in London after all) but rather cultural reasons. I like going out drinking ect. I don't really want to be put in a flat with people with conservative religious beliefs. I am planning on doing English and History BA too so would I socialize with people from the course.

I just graduated from QM and did the exact same degree you are going to do. You will find plenty of like minded people in your flat who will also want to go out drinking and partying. The Student Union also has a lot of deals on club nights during freshers week. You can buy a wrist band for 20 pounds I think which lets you get into a lot of events.
Reply 8
Original post by makhad198

Spoiler

Not saying that at all, I just seen many posts on tsr about QMUL having a large Asian population being secluded.

And what facts? The facts that not all Asian people are religious and conservative?
Not saying that at all, I just seen many posts on tsr about QMUL having a large Asian population being secluded.

And what facts? The facts that not all Asian people are religious and conservative?

YES those facts, not all asian people are religious and conservative. what a stupid generalisation
Reply 10
YES those facts, not all asian people are religious and conservative. what a stupid generalisation

Mate I never said they weren't the facts. Stop making accusations and actually read comments properly instead of looking to start an argument.
"I don't really want to be put in a flat with people with conservative religious beliefs"

Thats what you said about asian people - YOU generalised, like just cos theres asians in QMUL, doesnt mean your asian flatmates would all have conservative religious beliefs.
Reply 12
"I don't really want to be put in a flat with people with conservative religious beliefs"

Thats what you said about asian people - YOU generalised, like just cos theres asians in QMUL, doesnt mean your asian flatmates would all have conservative religious beliefs.

Maybe should of used a better example because never once in the sentence you used as an example I said that all Asian people are conservative and religious, and previously I mentioned that I heard that QMUL has a large Asian community which I heard from previous TSR post is quite exclusive and conservative. I never once stated it as fact or as one of my own personally beliefs that all Asian people are religious and conservative.
Maybe should of used a better example because never once in the sentence you used as an example I said that all Asian people are conservative and religious, and previously I mentioned that I heard that QMUL has a large Asian community which I heard from previous TSR post is quite exclusive and conservative. I never once stated it as fact or as one of my own personally beliefs that all Asian people are religious and conservative.

whatever just try and defend yourself with your dumb excuses
Reply 14

Wow how arrogant, not even trying to listen but instead pin me down as someone who makes generalizations.

This was the FORTH comment in this thread yeh and I dont see nothing about u saying "oh im assuming they're conservative cos I read it on TSR"
Reply 16
This was the FORTH comment in this thread yeh and I dont see nothing about u saying "oh im assuming they're conservative cos I read it on TSR"

Yes I should of worded it better I will admit to that, but I don't believe that everyone with ancestry that originates from an extremely diverse multi ethnic continent are all religious and conservative.
Yes I should of worded it better I will admit to that, but I don't believe that everyone with ancestry that originates from an extremely diverse multi ethnic continent are all religious and conservative.

ok well as u say u worded it wrong, couldve admitted to that before arguing with me

Tbf he did correct himself so you should really let it go. Plus if he had those views of Asian people I really doubt he be thinking of applying to a Uni with one of the largest Asian student population in the country.
Only Muslims and Sikhs don't drink.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending