The Student Room Group

lnat prep

i wanted to do the lnat in september but havent started prep. how long do i need to revise for

Scroll to see replies

i did mine in december for KCL and id say do the practice papers and buy the book https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-ultimate-lnat-guide-3?utm_campaign=shopping_feed_gb_en&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoIuDprTi3AIVDsayCh1eEAGuEAQYASABEgLNA_D_BwE

i prepped for about 4 months, doing about 2hrs a day, and then in the days before, i was doing about 4-5 hours

its so helpful however, i do stress that the real thing is practically impossible when compared to the book which is good for practice only.
for the essay section just READ a LOT of good newspapers and inform yourself on topical debate
Original post by milkshakelover
i did mine in december for KCL and id say do the practice papers and buy the book https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-ultimate-lnat-guide-3?utm_campaign=shopping_feed_gb_en&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoIuDprTi3AIVDsayCh1eEAGuEAQYASABEgLNA_D_BwE

i prepped for about 4 months, doing about 2hrs a day, and then in the days before, i was doing about 4-5 hours

its so helpful however, i do stress that the real thing is practically impossible when compared to the book which is good for practice only.
for the essay section just READ a LOT of good newspapers and inform yourself on topical debate

wait seriously? that seems like a lot, what did u get if i may ask?
Original post by anonymous1231231
wait seriously? that seems like a lot, what did u get if i may ask?

if im honest, i cant remember, but it was high enough to get me into kings
Original post by milkshakelover
if im honest, i cant remember, but it was high enough to get me into kings

wow congrats, i'm worried now lol. im so gonna start soon, any tips? all i hear is that if u learn the question pattern you'll be fine..what does that mean:biggrin: ?
Reply 5
i wanted to do the lnat in september but havent started prep. how long do i need to revise for

Hey,

I did my LNAT last year. I started doing some practise around October time and sat my test in January. I can give some more lengthy, specific advice via PM if you wish, if not, here's a few quick tips:

1. If you don't need to sit your test in September (Oxbridge applicant), don't. Save some time, get some practise in and try to do the best you can. I waited until January to do mine so I could practise for as long as possible!

2. Consider a range of study options. There are books you can buy to help you, there are free websites you can use, there are paid websites you can use... just try as many different things as possible. You will find that each of these vary in difficultly compared to the "real thing". Don't get caught out by only using one method of study. I have seen students on here become upset with their actual results having done so well in the prep. In most cases, they had been using "easy" practise tests which gave them an inflated score.

3. Practise (yes I know) writing timed essays. Whilst some Uni's such as KCL do not even mark the essay, some place more weight upon it. If you have practised this, you will be better at it.

Best of luck, what Uni's are you looking at applying to?
wow congrats, i'm worried now lol. im so gonna start soon, any tips? all i hear is that if u learn the question pattern you'll be fine..what does that mean:biggrin: ?

What is the question pattern - my exam is in less than a.month?!
Original post by DCDCo
Hey,

I did my LNAT last year. I started doing some practise around October time and sat my test in January. I can give some more lengthy, specific advice via PM if you wish, if not, here's a few quick tips:

1. If you don't need to sit your test in September (Oxbridge applicant), don't. Save some time, get some practise in and try to do the best you can. I waited until January to do mine so I could practise for as long as possible!

2. Consider a range of study options. There are books you can buy to help you, there are free websites you can use, there are paid websites you can use... just try as many different things as possible. You will find that each of these vary in difficultly compared to the "real thing". Don't get caught out by only using one method of study. I have seen students on here become upset with their actual results having done so well in the prep. In most cases, they had been using "easy" practise tests which gave them an inflated score.

3. Practise (yes I know) writing timed essays. Whilst some Uni's such as KCL do not even mark the essay, some place more weight upon it. If you have practised this, you will be better at it.

Do you know which unis place more weight on essays ?
Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by polzovatel1
Do you know which unis place more weight on essays ?
Thanks

Oxford and UCL are known to look at the essay in greater depth than others.

KCL do not review your essay. LSE also planning not to (this is their first LNAT year).

Bristol places less weight on the essay.

The rest are unknown, unfortunately.

(Sources are from various FOI requests which have been collated on Arbitio)
Original post by DCDCo
Oxford and UCL are known to look at the essay in greater depth than others.

KCL do not review your essay. LSE also planning not to (this is their first LNAT year).

Bristol places less weight on the essay.

The rest are unknown, unfortunately.

(Sources are from various FOI requests which have been collated on Arbitio)

Thanks,
I am planning to apply to Oxford and UCL, was thinking about KCL as well but they cancelled the scholarships this year so might consider Nottingham instead.
Reply 9
Thanks,
I am planning to apply to Oxford and UCL, was thinking about KCL as well but they cancelled the scholarships this year so might consider Nottingham instead.

Oh wow, that's a shame about scholarships. They are known to have one of the most generous scholarship schemes!

Best of luck, if I can offer any advice in the mean time, please let me know. I received offers from UCL/KCL last year so hopefully I have some insight that may be of use :smile:
Original post by DCDCo
Hey,

hello
thanks so much! i think ill be applying to oxford (not exactky hopeful lol) and i also didnt want lnat prep to really interfere with school tbh which is why i wanted to do it early.
i brought the mark shepherd book and arbitio - is that enough?
and ill be practising essays especially as i dont do any essay subjects right now. but i dont really know who to give them to..
thanks again!

p.s. im considering unis like lse, oxford, kent, warwick, ucl and kcl. i'd love to to those options bar kent, but im not sure if they're too ambitious..
I started about 2-3 weeks before the exam, took the LNAT on the last possible day I could before the Oxbridge deadline. Scored high enough for interview at Oxford and offers from Durham and Bristol.
A lot of Lnat books advertise ' time saving tricks' but I havent found any yet! I wonder if there is a strategy that helps to eliminate some answers for MCQ or improve odds of picking the correct answer if you dont have a clue.
Reply 13
A lot of Lnat books advertise ' time saving tricks' but I havent found any yet! I wonder if there is a strategy that helps to eliminate some answers for MCQ or improve odds of picking the correct answer if you dont have a clue.

Well, the way to eliminate the wrong ones is to read the question :biggrin:

Usually, you are left with two choices of which can be right. Its just a tough test, that's the nature of it!

hello
thanks so much! i think ill be applying to oxford (not exactky hopeful lol) and i also didnt want lnat prep to really interfere with school tbh which is why i wanted to do it early.
i brought the mark shepherd book and arbitio - is that enough?
and ill be practising essays especially as i dont do any essay subjects right now. but i dont really know who to give them to..
thanks again!

p.s. im considering unis like lse, oxford, kent, warwick, ucl and kcl. i'd love to to those options bar kent, but im not sure if they're too ambitious..

It seems like you have got some good prep going there. I'd say the Mark Shepherd book is quite easy. I was scoring over 30 in his book and did not score as high in the real test. Arbitio is comparatively much tougher. I was scoring around 20 or so.

With the essays, Arbitio have an essay marking service, you also get one free. That's something you can take advantage of if you haven't yet. The key thing with the essay is to ensure that you do not "sit on the fence". Argue your point, acknowledge the counter-arguments and then explain, in your opinion, why they are wrong. There's lots of essay advice out there so make sure you read up on it :smile:
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
I started about 2-3 weeks before the exam, took the LNAT on the last possible day I could before the Oxbridge deadline. Scored high enough for interview at Oxford and offers from Durham and Bristol.

ahh that does make me feel better lool. im definitely starting tomorrow, but ive been saying this for months now..congrats by the way! where do you study now?
Original post by DCDCo
Well, the way to eliminate the wrong ones is to read the question :biggrin:

Usually, you are left with two choices of which can be right. Its just a tough test, that's the nature of it!

It seems like you have got some good prep going there. I'd say the Mark Shepherd book is quite easy. I was scoring over 30 in his book and did not score as high in the real test. Arbitio is comparatively much tougher. I was scoring around 20 or so.

With the essays, Arbitio have an essay marking service, you also get one free. That's something you can take advantage of if you haven't yet. The key thing with the essay is to ensure that you do not "sit on the fence". Argue your point, acknowledge the counter-arguments and then explain, in your opinion, why they are wrong. There's lots of essay advice out there so make sure you read up on it :smile:

ahh thank u! yes ive heard its good to get the mark shepherd book and arbito as they're both pretty extreme..but that sounds more stressful to me haha
and ill save the one marking session as i asked a teacher at my school if he could check my essays and he said he could 'look at 1' :/
Reply 16
ahh thank u! yes ive heard its good to get the mark shepherd book and arbito as they're both pretty extreme..but that sounds more stressful to me haha
and ill save the one marking session as i asked a teacher at my school if he could check my essays and he said he could 'look at 1' :/

You'll read some advice about the length of the LNAT essay too. Whilst you are given a limit, the advice is actually to reduce your essay to around 500 words I believe as opposed to the 700 given.

I think the main thing to do is: do some research around how essays should be contructed (your Mark Shepherd book will do this) and then practise completing them in a timed manner. The fact that you are putting the work in now will bode well for the real thing :smile:
ahh that does make me feel better lool. im definitely starting tomorrow, but ive been saying this for months now..congrats by the way! where do you study now?

Im due to start at Durham in September/October this year
Reply 18
I did the 2 practice papers the night before and got 30. You’ll be fine, don’t stress too much :smile:
Original post by DCDCo
You'll read some advice about the length of the LNAT essay too. Whilst you are given a limit, the advice is actually to reduce your essay to around 500 words I believe as opposed to the 700 given.

I think the main thing to do is: do some research around how essays should be contructed (your Mark Shepherd book will do this) and then practise completing them in a timed manner. The fact that you are putting the work in now will bode well for the real thing :smile:

as long as i start now that is haha
thank u, im nervous as to be frank i feel i know nothing about any legal news going on, like immigration laws, etc

Quick Reply

Latest