The Student Room Group

Edexcel disqualify students over C4 Leak

https://www.tes.com/news/level-maths-cheats-disqualified

what do you think? from what I heard it was much more widespread than they think...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon213

what do you think? from what I heard it was much more widespread than they think...

Whoever you heard from that it is more widespread, encourage them to report it with evidence.
Reply 2
Great to hear something tbh. Sounds like it's all under control. It's very difficult to get away with something like this so if there are some cheater who haven't been court it will have minimal effects.
Original post by Anon213

Well, they'll have collated a lot more evidence than you have access to.
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Whoever you heard from that it is more widespread, encourage them to report it with evidence.

There’s no evidence to be had, all I know is an individual from a local school had it aswell.. considering i’m aiming for an A*, this will affect the A* boundary so it’s concerning for me
Original post by Anon213
There’s no evidence to be had, all I know is an individual from a local school had it aswell.. considering i’m aiming for an A*, this will affect the A* boundary so it’s concerning for me

But how do you know that?
Original post by Anon213

it wont affect boundaries, the spokesperson said so.
Reply 7
Original post by Anon213

Please contact Edexcel with any information you have, no evidence or evidence. This is very serious if you actually have any kind of link to another student!
Reply 8
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
But how do you know that?

My friend from school’s friend apparently had it. I don’t know for sure of course but there’s no reason for someone to lie about that
Reply 9
How do these people even get access to the papers? :s-smilie:
Lool, it was way more than 30. Apparently it was international too.
Reply 11
Original post by lucieol

probably leaked through a dodgy exam centre officer i guess?
Reply 12
Original post by la flameee

^^^
Original post by lucieol

someone within Pearson leaked them and sold them online for money, probs FB. So not only did kids waste money, they get disqualified and are ****ed fully.
Reply 14
Original post by la flameee

Please contact Edexcel with any information you have, evidence or no evidence. It's extremely important and students' futures are on the line!
Original post by Anon213
My friend from school’s friend apparently had it. I don’t know for sure of course but there’s no reason for someone to lie about that

Then your role is to encourage your friend to report it, it's more productive and potentially has benefits in doing so than to worry about it. If you don't care that much, then this is one of these things in life that just needs to be let go. I understand why people worry about grade boundaries whether cheating is present or not, but they'll be living happier lives when they learn not to worry about results until after they get them. They should read a book or go outside instead of looking at unofficial markschemes and opening up grade boundary releases before results day. You only have long summer breaks for so long!
Original post by Risk08
Please contact Edexcel with any information you have, evidence or no evidence. It's extremely important and students' futures are on the line!

I know people who've already done that exact thing. I personally dont have any names or anything. Clearly Edexcel aren't going after the "lucky" people who had the paper sent to them, looks like theyre going after distributors and people who sought it out/paid for them.
its good to hear that they have done something about it but then again im still so worried about grade boundaries because this was a terrible exam :frown:
Original post by SomMC1
someone within Pearson leaked them and sold them online for money, probs FB. So not only did kids waste money, they get disqualified and are ****ed fully.

Pearson claim the source of the leak wasn't an employee. They claim to have found the source of the leak and barred that person from any further involvement with Pearson exams. If they're a teacher or work at an exam center, this will wreck their career, so I'd say it's a reasonable punishment!

The article does say 30 further people are under investigation. To be fair, you don't know if the "friend of a friend" you heard about is under investigation or not, as I bet they aren't bragging about that now.

If you have heard anyone mentioning they saw this paper, then definitely contact Pearson, even if you have no evidence. At least then you know it's been investigated properly. If you don't know names, then give the name of the school they go to- at most schools there's <20 students doing A-level maths, so if there's anything in it, it won't be hard to narrow down who was involved.

Don't forget a lot of people lie about stupid things (e.g. seeing the leaked material when they hadn't) or exaggerate (e.g. saying it's all around their school when maybe one person had seen it).

I get that this is a super stressful time, but don't forget that Pearson will want to maintain their reputation, so they'll have made extra sure that their grade boundaries are fair.
This is BS. I bet they don't even care. Last year people in my school cheated and never got caught. **** EDEXCEL

Quick Reply

Latest