The Student Room Group

A levels / sixth form

I don't really know what forum to put this in but...
I'm currently looking at sixth forms/a level options and going into year 11.
I am going to look at 2 private schools, 2 grammar, and 2 state schools.
the problem is my predicted grades are very low due to being set on CATS/SATS tests, I did poorly in these, therefore, I am predicted 5s in most things.
In my EOY mocks, I achieved above all my target grades however I don't think these will change. Will my sixth forms look at these grades to decide whether I have a place?
Also in regards to A levels, I have not much clue what subjects I will pick, I have to put these down soon as well. I am thinking about-English lit, psychology, RS, philosophy, music, geography or maybe economics.
What 3 or 4 subjects would you recommend?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey I’ve just finished Year 13 and waiting for my results on Thursday! I went to a state school sixth from and studied English Language, Spanish and Psychology so I’m not too much help. However, I did really enjoy psychology and it probably was my favourite Alevel out of them all, although there was a lot of content that you had to learn and revise so I would only suggest taking it if you are 100% certain and willing to put in the work outside of the classes. I have friends who did RS and she enjoyed it, so much that she’s doing it at Uni and another who did English lit who is hopefully doing it at uni! I was torn between English Lit or English language and in the end I picked language because I wasn’t sure I was dedicated enough to read all of the books in my own spare time. However I’ve heard it’s pretty similar to GCSE English lit, so if you enjoy that, go ahead!
Sorry I couldn’t be much help!
Reply 2
Original post by sbrc2148
Hey I’ve just finished Year 13 and waiting for my results on Thursday! I went to a state school sixth from and studied English Language, Spanish and Psychology so I’m not too much help. However, I did really enjoy psychology and it probably was my favourite Alevel out of them all, although there was a lot of content that you had to learn and revise so I would only suggest taking it if you are 100% certain and willing to put in the work outside of the classes. I have friends who did RS and she enjoyed it, so much that she’s doing it at Uni and another who did English lit who is hopefully doing it at uni! I was torn between English Lit or English language and in the end I picked language because I wasn’t sure I was dedicated enough to read all of the books in my own spare time. However I’ve heard it’s pretty similar to GCSE English lit, so if you enjoy that, go ahead!
Sorry I couldn’t be much help!

no this is so much help!! I know all alevels are hard but is psychology really hard? Is it very maths/science based?? Psychology is one of the subjects that I am definitely leaning towards:smile: Good luck for results day!!
Original post by maisiex10x
no this is so much help!! I know all alevels are hard but is psychology really hard? Is it very maths/science based?? Psychology is one of the subjects that I am definitely leaning towards:smile: Good luck for results day!!

Um no, I wouldn’t say the content was difficult at all, in fact it’s pretty straightforward. You just get given an idea or topic and then given a theorist/ psychologist or a study to back up or challenge that idea. So I wouldn’t say it was difficult, it’s just a lot of remembering! I was worried at the start that it would be too maths/science based because I hate those but I found it okay! With my Exam board 1/10 of the topics was called “biopsychology” which obviously was very science/biology heavy, and another called ‘research methods’ which had quite a few aspects of maths in but I wouldn’t say that the maths or science was any harder than like C/B grade stuff at GCSE at most
Reply 4
Okay!! Well, this sounds like a subject I would love!! May I ask what you got a biology/Maths GCSE? I am hoping for a 6 -(B) in both, so hopefully, this will be okay!!

Quick Reply

Latest