The Student Room Group

Considering a Masters by Research Funding/Application

Hey everyone,

I am considering undertaking an MRes and have a couple of questions relating to funding and the application process I'm hoping some clever person can help me with, please.

Firstly can a student studying for a masters by research obtain the same funding as a taught masters student?

Is it harder to get accepted on to a MRes course than it is a taught masters or vice versa?

Lastly, is it true that some universities allow you to apply and start an MRes any time of year, where others have application deadlines?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Accurate
Hey everyone,

I am considering undertaking an MRes and have a couple of questions relating to funding and the application process I'm hoping some clever person can help me with, please.

Firstly can a student studying for a masters by research obtain the same funding as a taught masters student?

Is it harder to get accepted on to a MRes course than it is a taught masters or vice versa?

Lastly, is it true that some universities allow you to apply and start an MRes any time of year, where others have application deadlines?

In terms of student finance you will have to check what yo are eligible for based on nationality and course. You need to meet the entry requirements and you need to apply by the uni deadline.
Reply 2
Original post by Accurate
Hey everyone,

I'd say it's easier to get accepted for a taught masters than an MRes. Taught masters are mostly just like another year of undergrad so their intake is more broad. Research positions are looking for someone that shows the right interest and personality that would fit with their team.

As for funding, you'll get the same amount of student finance for each but sponsorship varies. It isn't unheard of to get a sponsored masters. I got offered a Masters by Research funded by BASF looking into bacterial microcompartments this year (still unsure whether I'll accept it tho). I'd say keep an eye out for funded opportunities and regularly check your uni emails - they normal send out info about funded positions.

Deadlines for courses vary. For the vast majority, you can apply until August-ish and they'll only close applications once the course is full. I applied for my masters this summer after I got my final year results around mid June and had no problem submitting applications that late in the year. It might make accommodation a little bit more difficult to find though.

I'm speaking from a biological science background so it might vary for other courses.
Reply 3
I've just been accepted onto an MRes course. It's a double edged sword, on the one hand your topic area may be very niche and thus there may be a lack of applicants meaning if you write a focused personal statement then it is easy to get in. On the other hand, there are only so many labs and so many placements so you have to show you're dedicated, done your research and will be an ample fit.

I'm personally self funding and getting the full postgrad loan. I know for a full 180 credits postgrad course, you're eligible for the full 10.5k postgrad loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending