The Student Room Group

πŸ–€What happens after death?πŸ–€

Is there an afterlife? Are we still conscious? Will we be reincarnated? If anybody had any stories or facts I would like to know as I am now a gothic emo sugar baby! πŸ’€πŸ–€πŸ’€πŸ–€πŸ’€πŸ–€πŸ’€πŸ–€
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends, I mean if we don’t actually exist and this world is a construct made up of our imaginations, then we probably already are in the afterlife. Or if there is an afterlife it would mean that we never existed now, because death is not an experience, it’s an event, and to experience death and to progress onto a new realm / world / rebirth would mean that your past life or existence was completely subjective. We do not know what goes on in other minds, so whether we are conscious is a question for discussion.
Reply 2
Focus on your life and progressing in it.
There is no way that you will know what happens after death until death.

If people did find out what happens, the world would change for the worse. It's good the way it is now...not knowing what happens.
Being born and dying seem like similar experiences, in that it's an event but you don't know anything about it. It's just an another experience we have to go through. As for being reborn, I'm not sure but I like the idea that we give ourselves back to nature.
Lifen't.
I’m not sure but I think you get a funeral in which you get buried in a coffin.
Not really an interesting question in my mind. You need a brain to be conscious, and there's no medium such by which reincarnation could take place. (you'll find a lot of the children that claim to have memories from a previous life just have active imaginations, and when questioned it's clear that it isn't the case) Even if we supposed that something did happen after death we wouldn't be able to observe it so we wouldn't have "facts".

Original post by I'm God

If people did find out what happens, the world would change for the worse.

Well if it turned out that there was indeed nothing beyond death, surely that'd encourage people to appreciate more instead of working towards appeasing a deity that may not exist, for a place in a paradise that may not exist.
In my opinion, we do not reincarnate and there is no afterlife. We die.
Would be interested to hear from @Plantagenet Crown and @QE2

I'm guessing the most logical answer is that once your brain dies you won't be aware of anything. Exactly like before you were born. The process of being alive one minute and dead the next, I can see being traumatic or peaceful depending on circumstance. Maybe there is some chemical released in your brain or body that helps with pain or fear when your organs are shutting down.

We are animals and I can't see why there would be an afterlife or consciousness after death for humans because the idea of that seems ridiculous for animals. We all pretty much agree that they die, dont feel anything any more and aren't running around in doggy heaven or whatever.

There are plenty of NDE stories but I'm not sure what to make of all those.
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx

Well if it turned out that there was indeed nothing beyond death, surely that'd encourage people to appreciate more instead of working towards appeasing a deity that may not exist, for a place in a paradise that may not exist.

That may be true, but it would also cause massive depression when bad things happen e.g. a family member or friend dies as they would not be able to see or talk to each other ever again, having a bad childhood as you will never get to experience what it was like to be a child and happy etc. Whereas in this case, there is still a hope that people will meet their relatives or lost ones, they may get to live a better life next time. You can't tell, so you may as well live your life and see where it goes from there.
Imagine having do to your GCSEs again lol.
I certainly am not going to spout of some scientific theory or theological theory that honestly I have no clue is what happens after I away. All I know is what I have learned all these years and chose to believe and I can wish on that to be somewhat like what it is going to be after I die.
That is fine by me and the best we can hope for I think. I am also interested to hear the thoughts of @Viva Emptiness
Same as before you were born. People live their lives, you (the dead person) don't exist.
Original post by Wilfred Little
That is fine by me and the best we can hope for I think. I am also interested to hear the thoughts of @Viva Emptiness

Well, thank you for your consideration on this important topic.

Once you gone it's over baby. I'm leaving my body to science or necrophiliacs. Whoever bids the highest.

Alternatively whack me in the trash idgaf.
Nowt.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Would be interested to hear from @Plantagenet Crown and @QE2

I'm guessing the most logical answer is that once your brain dies you won't be aware of anything. Exactly like before you were born. The process of being alive one minute and dead the next, I can see being traumatic or peaceful depending on circumstance. Maybe there is some chemical released in your brain or body that helps with pain or fear when your organs are shutting down.

We are animals and I can't see why there would be an afterlife or consciousness after death for humans because the idea of that seems ridiculous for animals. We all pretty much agree that they die, dont feel anything any more and aren't running around in doggy heaven or whatever.

There are plenty of NDE stories but I'm not sure what to make of all those.

Most likely your consciousness just ceases to exist. If there is an afterlife then it definitely won’t be the Abrahamic heaven and hell as that makes no sense and those deities are disproven by their own texts.

If there were an afterlife I’d want it to be reincarnation of some kind.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Well, thank you for your consideration on this important topic.

Once you gone it's over baby. I'm leaving my body to science or necrophiliacs. Whoever bids the highest.

Alternatively whack me in the trash idgaf.

:biggrin: pretty much agree with you, there is nothing.
Original post by Ratchet Hoe
Is there an afterlife? Are we still conscious? Will we be reincarnated? If anybody had any stories or facts I would like to know as I am now a gothic emo sugar baby! πŸ’€πŸ–€πŸ’€πŸ–€πŸ’€πŸ–€πŸ’€πŸ–€

You join the skeleton war
Nothing. There is no such thing as an afterlife.

Quick Reply

Latest