The Student Room Group

Nursing Adult Holidays/ days off?

I was wondering if on the weekends do the nursing adult course get weekends off as i would like to travel home?
Reply 1
If you're on placement, no. You don't get weekends off. You may sometimes, but it's no guarantee. Once you start working as a nurse, you'll be expected to work weekends.
Reply 2
Original post by katf
If you're on placement, no. You don't get weekends off. You may sometimes, but it's no guarantee. Once you start working as a nurse, you'll be expected to work weekends.

Do you know how often the holidays are given eg halloween, xmass etc?
Oh okay so in first year you wil not have weekends off?
Reply 3
Original post by RN99

My partner's a nurse. And it's completely pot luck what days off you get. While you're at uni you'll have holidays, but once you're working, you'll have to book them. You'll get either Christmas eve, Christmas day or boxing day off, but not all three.
Reply 4
Original post by katf
My partner's a nurse. And it's completely pot luck what days off you get. While you're at uni you'll have holidays, but once you're working, you'll have to book them. You'll get either Christmas eve, Christmas day or boxing day off, but not all three.

Oh i will be going to my first year off uni so not working full time yet lol so i was just finding out
Original post by RN99
I was wondering if on the weekends do the nursing adult course get weekends off as i would like to travel home?

You won't get things like bank holidays or halloween off. Most nursing students will get 5-7 weeks of holidays per year. Generally you'll get a couple of weeks of for Christmas and New Year, one or two for easter and the rest of your holidays in the summer.

You will have weekends off when you are doing your theory blocks at university, but when you are on placement you will be expected to follow the shifts of your mentor which will include lots of weekends.
Original post by RN99

when you are in University, your working day will reflect the normal pattern of that HEI which is almost universally Monday to friday and/or the opening hours of the building you are based in ( some HEIs are firmly only timetable between 0900 and 1800 , there are others who are ' 8 contiguous hours between 0800 - 2000 ' to get more utilisation of lecture thetres / labs / classrooms ) ...

while on placement your working pattern will typically follow the norm for the placement area ( although it may be possible to negotiable 8 hour shifts even if the unit is long days only ) and will include late shifts and weekends, there is requirement to do a certain amount of night ( and you will need to check if twiglets or half nights count )
Original post by RN99

As a student you will have 7 weeks of holiday a year, plus you may have 'reading'/ flex weeks if your attendance is sufficient to meet the legal requirements for registration.

On placement you will be expected to work a full range of day shifts including weekends and have a specified number of nights to complete across the three years
(edited 5 years ago)
We are expected to spend our Saturdays ironing and starching our hats and aprons whilst reciting notes for nursing to each other, then on Sundays it’s a church service followed by fob watch polishing and a sit down Sunday dinner. We have free time in the afternoon, however if we meet with gentlemen we are expected to take one of the matrons with us as a chaperone to protect our dignity and purity as virgins.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending