The Student Room Group

Computer Science - Lost in life

Hi, I am currently studying computer science at uni and slightly lost with goals and what I want to do.

I am progressing into second year however during my first year I didn't do any work experience or internships.

I have recently started to learn how to program in other languages which I feel will benefit me in the future and my degree however I can't help but feel I am doing something incredibly wrong.

There is only a little bit of time left til I go back to uni and have only two options but I honestly don't know how to go about my life; the thought of not having a job is taking over my mind but at the same time I feel like continuing with learning how to program efficiently and focusing on my degree. Most of my friends who are on other courses have jobs which makes me feel I am being too laid back.

Do you think it is better if I continue to explore and create my own small projects at home learning different programming languages and strengthening the ones I know OR is it better to find a job and then focus on studying when I actually go back to uni? Personal experiences of those studying in this field would be beneficial.

Thank you!
Original post by Goldenlinings
Hi, I am currently studying computer science at uni and slightly lost with goals and what I want to do.

I am progressing into second year however during my first year I didn't do any work experience or internships.

I have recently started to learn how to program in other languages which I feel will benefit me in the future and my degree however I can't help but feel I am doing something incredibly wrong.

There is only a little bit of time left til I go back to uni and have only two options but I honestly don't know how to go about my life; the thought of not having a job is taking over my mind but at the same time I feel like continuing with learning how to program efficiently and focusing on my degree. Most of my friends who are on other courses have jobs which makes me feel I am being too laid back.

Do you think it is better if I continue to explore and create my own small projects at home learning different programming languages and strengthening the ones I know OR is it better to find a job and then focus on studying when I actually go back to uni? Personal experiences of those studying in this field would be beneficial.

Thank you!

A bit of both. Internships and personal projects would be good.

I'm also progressing onto second year. They'll be more internships open to you as you progress.
Reply 2
Original post by Goldenlinings

Thank you!

Apply to internships early, a lot of the summer 2019 internships open next month.

Take a look at Gradcracker, thats where I found one of my internships and my grad scheme. From a quick search theres 1 open already for summer 2019, most will open in the next few months though.

Doing your own projects is a great way to build your skill set and good to add to your CV. Create a Github account and add your work to it, potentially to show prospective employers and/or create your own website outlining the work you've done.

Through out the year keep looking for part-time relevant work, I managed to do 2 part time software development internships whilst a student (1 in my bachelors and 1 in my masters). Keep looking on indeed.co.uk and other job websites - these types of jobs are harder to come by though. You could also look at what your uni has to offer, for example the IT Support team at the university (might not be overly relevant but looks good on your CV) or at your Students Union mine used to hire part-time front-end developers. Additionally, see if your Computer Science dept. have any Undergraduate Research positions going or if you did particularly well in any of your first year modules you could apply to do lab/teaching support for the year below you (if your uni does this).

You must have about 1-1.5 months left before resuming your course? You could look up and contact local companies for unpaid work experience for until you go back, this might not seem the most appealing option but it looks great on your CV and could lead to a summer job for next year.

Looking forward, you could focus your spare time over the next year into one particular language or skillset and by next summer you might be in a position to apply to contract or freelance positions. If you want to do this I'd recommend Web Development as its really easy, you can pick it up so quickly and there is loads of contract work available.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by yt7777
Apply to internships early, a lot of the summer 2019 internships open next month.

Take a look at Gradcracker, thats where I found one of my internships and my grad scheme. From a quick search theres 1 open already for summer 2019, most will open in the next few months though.

Doing your own projects is a great way to build your skill set and good to add to your CV. Create a Github account and add your work to it, potentially to show prospective employers and/or create your own website outlining the work you've done.

Through out the year keep looking for part-time relevant work, I managed to do 2 part time software development internships whilst a student (1 in my bachelors and 1 in my masters). Keep looking on indeed.co.uk and other job websites - these types of jobs are harder to come by though. You could also look at what your uni has to offer, for example the IT Support team at the university (might not be overly relevant but looks good on your CV) or at your Students Union mine used to hire part-time front-end developers. Additionally, see if your Computer Science dept. have any Undergraduate Research positions going or if you did particularly well in any of your first year modules you could apply to do lab/teaching support for the year below you (if your uni does this).

You must have about 1-1.5 months left before resuming your course? You could look up and contact local companies for unpaid work experience for until you go back, this might not seem the most appealing option but it looks great on your CV and could lead to a summer job for next year.

Looking forward, you could focus your spare time over the next year into one particular language or skillset and by next summer you might be in a position to apply to contract or freelance positions. If you want to do this I'd recommend Web Development as its really easy, you can pick it up so quickly and there is loads of contract work available.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much, this is amazing advice!
it's also mind numbing

Posted from TSR Mobile
See if you can jump on some opensource projects so you can add them to your portfolio, also get friendly with your lecturers! I've been close friends with one of mine since I did a year of engineering and he just recently offered me a job doing data analytics for a project in the business school.
What kind of work are you interested in? Do you want to be a programmer or something else? There’s a huge drive for recruitment in cyber security at the moment, it’s a fast moving emerging industry with lots of opportunities. If this might interest you, look into the work of cyber challenge uk. They have a big recruitment thing in London in October where there will be lots of employers and opportunities - they’re tying it in with the European cyber security teams competition which is in London this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending