The Student Room Group

How long do you normally rent a flat in London for

Hi, my husband and I are looking to rent a flat in London from mid September when we'll both be starting three year degrees. When we previously rented we had a six month contract which then rolled monthly I believe (ie. we had to give one month of notice to leave) I expect that this is different in London. We are looking to rent for up to the full three years if we find somewhere we like but would ideally leave in June of our last year (after 34 months.) Should we be looking to make a 34 month contract (maybe with a possible release after a year if we don't like the place) or is it more normal to rent for 12 months and then refresh yearly with a new 12 month contract (which could cause difficulties in the last year?)
Most London landlords offer a 6 or 12 month ast, to be renewed for further terms with a rent rise and £150 contract fee each time.

Estate agents do like seeing professional married couples looking for longer term rental contracts, your agent is likely to be very keen to match you with a longer term landlord if you are willing to commit to a fixed 2 year plus contract.
Since the Brexit vote, a lot of landlords seem very keen to have their tenants agree longer term fixed contracts so you'll probably have a lot of rental choice.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Most London landlords offer a 6 or 12 month ast, to be renewed for further terms with a rent rise and £150 contract fee each time.

Estate agents do like seeing professional married couples looking for longer term rental contracts, your agent is likely to be very keen to match you with a longer term landlord if you are willing to commit to a fixed 2 year plus contract.
Since the Brexit vote, a lot of landlords seem very keen to have their tenants agree longer term fixed contracts so you'll probably have a lot of rental choice.

Okay, that sounds promising :smile: thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending