The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

economics at Bristol?

how is Economics at university? is it harder than at A levels or how is it different?
and how should i prepare for an econ course during summer?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

ahhhh yes, thank you. hopefully, someone will reply, if not i will ask somewhere else
Yo yo, im an econ third year at bristol. First thing id say is yes its significantly harder than A level, but you WILL adjust and be okay. A lot of people find it a bit of a shock in first year, as youre thrown in the deep end with the maths. I personally didnt do much work at all whatsoever, made the most of first year with going out and making good experiences and got a 2:2 which i was pretty pleased with as you just need to pass! Second year i worked a lot harder (the difficulty stepped up) and got a 2:1 and im pretty rubbish at maths tbh so you will be fine. Despite all of this im yet to meet anyone who has worked hard and not been able to handle the course difficulty
Reply 4
Original post by easyaspirsquared
Yo yo, im an econ third year at bristol. First thing id say is yes its significantly harder than A level, but you WILL adjust and be okay. A lot of people find it a bit of a shock in first year, as youre thrown in the deep end with the maths. I personally didnt do much work at all whatsoever, made the most of first year with going out and making good experiences and got a 2:2 which i was pretty pleased with as you just need to pass! Second year i worked a lot harder (the difficulty stepped up) and got a 2:1 and im pretty rubbish at maths tbh so you will be fine. Despite all of this im yet to meet anyone who has worked hard and not been able to handle the course difficulty

awww thank you for your reply! i did maths and economics a level so hopefully the maths part will not put me off
just waiting for my results now :biggrin:
:smile:
Original post by Maddie Ghe
awww thank you for your reply! i did maths and economics a level so hopefully the maths part will not put me off
just waiting for my results now :biggrin:

good luck with them! i hope you get in, the feeling is absolutely amazing if you find out you do. But even if you don't, don't be down about it at all as you'll love whatever uni you end up at and i know so many people at bristol who got in through clearing and are so happy they did! Let me know how you do :smile:
Reply 6
:smile:

good luck with them! i hope you get in, the feeling is absolutely amazing if you find out you do. But even if you don't, don't be down about it at all as you'll love whatever uni you end up at and i know so many people at bristol who got in through clearing and are so happy they did! Let me know how you do :smile:

heeeeyy, I GOT IN!!!!!!!! i am soooo happy.
Original post by Maddie Ghe
heeeeyy, I GOT IN!!!!!!!! i am soooo happy.

congratulations! thats so amazing and you'll honestly have the most amazing time. Im really jealous id love to be starting the journey all over again hahah. All the best and if you ever need help with anything drop me a message :smile:
Reply 8

Hi what GCSEs did you get and is there a lot of maths throughout all 3 years. I like maths and econ and do Further Maths so will I be able to enjoy all 3 years? What are the essays like as well

Thank you
Original post by timif2
Hi what GCSEs did you get and is there a lot of maths throughout all 3 years. I like maths and econ and do Further Maths so will I be able to enjoy all 3 years? What are the essays like as well

Thank you

i got 5A* 5A at gcse, if you do further Maths youll be at an advantage at the start of first year for sure but then after a little while everyones brought up to the same standard so it doesn’t matter too much. You’ll be able to enjoy all 3 years for sure, im not sure if by that you mean will you be able to get by on little work because of further maths and if so then no unfortunately as after the first terms you’ll have covered all that kind of stuff and will move onto new more specific styles of maths. In terms of essays there aren’t many at all its mainly maths, ive written 1 essay that counted to my degree and that’s it, and a couple exams have longer answer questions like a 25 mark ‘essay’. Honestly theyre probably the hardest part of some of the exams as its tough to know what theyre looking for and people on average, myself included, perform worse on those questions than the maths ones. But that’s okay as youll manage to make the marks up elsewhere. University is very different to A levels like that as youre always going to drop marks, no one gets full marks and getting 70% (a first) is an incredible achievement so dropping marks on essays is inevitable.
Reply 10
i got 5A* 5A at gcse, if you do further Maths youll be at an advantage at the start of first year for sure but then after a little while everyones brought up to the same standard so it doesn’t matter too much. You’ll be able to enjoy all 3 years for sure, im not sure if by that you mean will you be able to get by on little work because of further maths and if so then no unfortunately as after the first terms you’ll have covered all that kind of stuff and will move onto new more specific styles of maths. In terms of essays there aren’t many at all its mainly maths, ive written 1 essay that counted to my degree and that’s it, and a couple exams have longer answer questions like a 25 mark ‘essay’. Honestly theyre probably the hardest part of some of the exams as its tough to know what theyre looking for and people on average, myself included, perform worse on those questions than the maths ones. But that’s okay as youll manage to make the marks up elsewhere. University is very different to A levels like that as youre always going to drop marks, no one gets full marks and getting 70% (a first) is an incredible achievement so dropping marks on essays is inevitable.

That’s so cool. Thanks so much for your response I really I appreciate it :smile:

The essays you do - do they always tend to be quite mathematical in nature (as in mathematical analysis of things like unemployment)

I wanna do a mathsy degree w out acc taking maths and I enjoy econ so that’s why

Thank youu
Original post by timif2
That’s so cool. Thanks so much for your response I really I appreciate it :smile:

The essays you do - do they always tend to be quite mathematical in nature (as in mathematical analysis of things like unemployment)

I wanna do a mathsy degree w out acc taking maths and I enjoy econ so that’s why

Thank youu

no worries! any other questions let me know :smile:
yeah funny you should say that as one of my exam essay questions was analysing an unemployment model (SAM model if youre interested) which is inherintly quite mathematical. The essay will start with you deriving the model mathematically and drawing diagrams etc.

If you like maths econ will be great, easier than a maths degree and still very respected and challenging!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending