The Student Room Group

Will I be able to do veterinary nursing?

I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-levels and thinking of going into veterinary nursing as I've always wanted to do it since I was young. However it feels like I'm not smart enough to do it as I was thinking of attending either Harper Adams, Kingston Maurward, Askham Bryan, Hartpury or Duchy college and most require A- level biology or an A-level science in which I couldn't take due to the requirements being ridiculous but my GCSE science was a decent grade (B) so would good references from relevant employers and work experience help? Since I've worked as health and safety as scope showjumping and planning on doing work experience with my vet. It feels like my studies are getting me nowhere :dontknow:
Reply 1
Original post by Jade236
I'm currently in year 12 and doing my A-levels and thinking of going into veterinary nursing as I've always wanted to do it since I was young. However it feels like I'm not smart enough to do it as I was thinking of attending either Harper Adams, Kingston Maurward, Askham Bryan, Hartpury or Duchy college and most require A- level biology or an A-level science in which I couldn't take due to the requirements being ridiculous but my GCSE science was a decent grade (B) so would good references from relevant employers and work experience help? Since I've worked as health and safety as scope showjumping and planning on doing work experience with my vet. It feels like my studies are getting me nowhere :dontknow:

I took AS level biology and came out with an E before i went on to do an BTEC in animal management... i know its not the same but ive been offered places. I would say that if you are to consider applying you need several weeks of work experience at a vet practise, then phone the admissions of your chosen universities to find out wether they wluld consider you or not :smile: hope this helps...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jade236

Hey . I would try and do a science A level just it comes in useful for any degree or job. You can sit as an external student or do another year perhaps ?
Hello,
I have a place at Kingston Maurward for Veterinary Nursing for this year. I have only 5 GCSES including the C's in Maths, English Language and Science. I did my A-Levels in random subjects and got B-C-D in Tourism, Sociology and Textiles (so nothing relevant really), I am doing a Level 3 Animal Management at the moment and I have been working at a veterinary practice for a year on reception! I was never amazing in science and did not get those grades but I think it counts about what experience you have in the field with different animals as my friend who has a place does not have all those grades too!

I hope this helps! :smile:
Hello,

I'm in year 13 now and I have been studying BTEC Level 3 Applied Science for 2 years and I have a place at Askham Bryan York for Vet Nursing this September. I have all of my GCSE's over C grade and some of which are B's, I even had to resit my Maths twice to get a C grade and i still got a course place. Please don't worry about your grades but just keep focusing on your work, dont over think it aha. The experience is vital though but for me I am still looking for it aha.

Hope all goes well for you x
Reply 5
Original post by JaffaNeko
Hello,

I'm in year 13 now and I have been studying BTEC Level 3 Applied Science for 2 years and I have a place at Askham Bryan York for Vet Nursing this September. I have all of my GCSE's over C grade and some of which are B's, I even had to resit my Maths twice to get a C grade and i still got a course place. Please don't worry about your grades but just keep focusing on your work, dont over think it aha. The experience is vital though but for me I am still looking for it aha.

Hope all goes well for you x

hi,
Are you still at askham bryan york, I plan to got there this year and was just wondering what it's like ?
:smile:
Original post by Anna1404
hi,
Are you still at askham bryan york, I plan to got there this year and was just wondering what it's like ?
:smile:

This was an old topic aha. I just graduated this week actually from my foundation degree, I didn't end up in Veterinary but the conservation course instead, so I will be coming back in september for another year on the Hons course.

Depends what you really want to know as all students experience different things throughout uni :smile:
Reply 7
This was an old topic aha. I just graduated this week actually from my foundation degree, I didn't end up in Veterinary but the conservation course instead, so I will be coming back in september for another year on the Hons course.

Depends what you really want to know as all students experience different things throughout uni :smile:

Ahh cool congrats, well I'm hoping to go to ur uni in September so was just wondering if it's a good uni in general? :smile:
Reply 8
Hi All, wondering if anybody can advise me!

So, I always wanted to be a Vet Surgeon hence I have over 20 weeks work experience (with an on going job on a livery yard). My a levels haven't gone to plan and I am predicted Bio A, chem C and psychology C. The psychology department are a shambles, we've had 5 teachers to date and I've accepted that with poor levels of teaching I'm not going to bring it back. You can see the extra time and effort I've put into psychology (to no avail) has taken a knock on effect on my chemistry work, as I was predicted an A a few months ago.

If this was the only problem and I had my heart on being a vet surgeon, I'd try and turn it around. However after recently completing various clinical placements I think that actually I am better suited to the vet nursing role due to my caring nature etc. The only problem is that we don't do AS levels anymore, so I will be changing colleges in September with nothing to show for the past year. I think I have left it too late to get an apprenticeship (as they are hard enough to get at the best of times) so I am considering doing a BTEC level 3 in animal management and science. Has anybody else done this and later gone into vet nursing? I hope to get a foot in the door doing my animal management as you need an ongoing placement, and later apply to vet nursing. I am aware I may need to get a vet receptionist or ANA job before a practise will take me on but I really am determined that this is what I want to do.

Completing my A levels isn't an option as I can't stand it there any longer and can feel it beginning to take tole on my mental health which at 17 has never happened before. I would rather do vet nursing through a diploma compared to a degree if I can help it as I want to get 'stuck in' the working environment.

If anybody can share their experiences or just give me advice in general that would be greatly appreciated - I'm falling apart!!

Thanks in advance ☺️
Original post by Anna1404
Ahh cool congrats, well I'm hoping to go to ur uni in September so was just wondering if it's a good uni in general? :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Everyone has their different experience of uni and for me it has been quite positive, I exceeded my last year results and have received more help this year. It can be quite hard to get along with students on other courses and between levels but you get used to it. Student union is fairly nice and alot of events are always available for students and help is always at hand. Cafeteria food is quite nice with a village nearby if you need to buy anything and if your staying on campus they arrange weekly tesco/aldi trips :wink:
Original post by gcnfx
Hi All, wondering if anybody can advise me!

So, I always wanted to be a Vet Surgeon hence I have over 20 weeks work experience (with an on going job on a livery yard). My a levels haven't gone to plan and I am predicted Bio A, chem C and psychology C. The psychology department are a shambles, we've had 5 teachers to date and I've accepted that with poor levels of teaching I'm not going to bring it back. You can see the extra time and effort I've put into psychology (to no avail) has taken a knock on effect on my chemistry work, as I was predicted an A a few months ago.

If this was the only problem and I had my heart on being a vet surgeon, I'd try and turn it around. However after recently completing various clinical placements I think that actually I am better suited to the vet nursing role due to my caring nature etc. The only problem is that we don't do AS levels anymore, so I will be changing colleges in September with nothing to show for the past year. I think I have left it too late to get an apprenticeship (as they are hard enough to get at the best of times) so I am considering doing a BTEC level 3 in animal management and science. Has anybody else done this and later gone into vet nursing? I hope to get a foot in the door doing my animal management as you need an ongoing placement, and later apply to vet nursing. I am aware I may need to get a vet receptionist or ANA job before a practise will take me on but I really am determined that this is what I want to do.

Completing my A levels isn't an option as I can't stand it there any longer and can feel it beginning to take tole on my mental health which at 17 has never happened before. I would rather do vet nursing through a diploma compared to a degree if I can help it as I want to get 'stuck in' the working environment.

If anybody can share their experiences or just give me advice in general that would be greatly appreciated - I'm falling apart!!

Thanks in advance ☺️

Before I switched my career option at Askham Bryan I entered for vet nursing and got a conditional. I only have BTEC and decent GCSE's to my name, the only thing I didn't have was the experience. I'm sure they'll still consider you highly as experience is very favoured at the moment so don't give up hope. Good luck 🤞
Reply 11
Before I switched my career option at Askham Bryan I entered for vet nursing and got a conditional. I only have BTEC and decent GCSE's to my name, the only thing I didn't have was the experience. I'm sure they'll still consider you highly as experience is very favoured at the moment so don't give up hope. Good luck 🤞

Thank you! May I ask what do you do now? X
Original post by gcnfx
Thank you! May I ask what do you do now? X

I'm joining the Animal Conservation top up with full honours :smile:
Reply 13
I'm joining the Animal Conservation top up with full honours :smile:

Ah brilliant! Could you quickly outline what you did you get yourself there? Qualifications etc? So interesting !
Original post by gcnfx
Ah brilliant! Could you quickly outline what you did you get yourself there? Qualifications etc? So interesting !

I passed all of my GCSE's (mostly C's, 3 B's and no A's 😂) this includes taking an extra year to pass maths because numbers are awful. I then got distinctions in BTEC Applied Science and also in Health and Social Care (plus a U in Law which was pointless 🙃). And no work experience before applying.
Reply 15
I passed all of my GCSE's (mostly C's, 3 B's and no A's 😂) this includes taking an extra year to pass maths because numbers are awful. I then got distinctions in BTEC Applied Science and also in Health and Social Care (plus a U in Law which was pointless 🙃). And no work experience before applying.

So did you go straight from college to do this degree?
Original post by gcnfx
So did you go straight from college to do this degree?

Yep 2 years of 6th form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending