The Student Room Group

I am receiving a warning and investigation from McDonalds! Please help!

So for anyone who doesn't know McDonalds uses a system called MySchedule where they update your schedule to show what shifts you are going to be working. So about an hour ago I received a call from the Store Manager asking why I didn't show up for my shifts. I looked on Sunday night and I had no shifts assigned for that week yet he is saying he assigned them on Thursday. I have a shift on Saturday and he is saying that I am going to receive a red light warning and investigation and I am so confused as to what went wrong with all of this. I feel like I am being painted out as the bad person in this situation even though I checked MySchedule and I had no shifts for this week but he probably won't believe me when I go in on Saturday so I just don't know what to do.
Original post by CallumTSR
So for anyone who doesn't know McDonalds uses a system called MySchedule where they update your schedule to show what shifts you are going to be working. So about an hour ago I received a call from the Store Manager asking why I didn't show up for my shifts. I looked on Sunday night and I had no shifts assigned for that week yet he is saying he assigned them on Thursday. I have a shift on Saturday and he is saying that I am going to receive a red light warning and investigation and I am so confused as to what went wrong with all of this. I feel like I am being painted out as the bad person in this situation even though I checked MySchedule and I had no shifts for this week but he probably won't believe me when I go in on Saturday so I just don't know what to do.

Is MySchedule still reflecting that you had no shifts for that week? If so, take screenshots as proof to show him that you weren’t updated on when you should be in!
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Is MySchedule still reflecting that you had no shifts for that week? If so, take screenshots as proof to show him that you weren’t updated on when you should be in!

No. It now shows that I have first shifts that's what is so confusing because I wish I had taken screenshots at the time because I am 99.9% sure there were no shifts listed
No. It now shows that I have first shifts that's what is so confusing because I wish I had taken screenshots at the time because I am 99.9% sure there were no shifts listed

I think the best thing you can do is explain the situation as you have here, and go from there - if it’s listed differently you can’t provide evidence, but they may be able to confirm it within MySchedule somehow.
Reply 4
You can also try asking the other people you work with to see if they've experienced a similar problem before. Your manager will just probably put you on some type of probation, if at all. In the future take that screenshot but I would also show the upcoming schedule that you have to your supervisor just to make sure you are on the same page. If there are any errors, you will be able to sort it out in time and prevent any more bad reports on your record from occurring.
Reply 5
Update: I got sacked

Well that sucks, sorry mate

assuming you have no gap on your CV its not really a huge deal and you wont go to prison or anything
sorry to hear you are not working there any more. hope you find another job quickly.

Very surprised that they sacked you for this. Even if it was a mistake from your side, surely missing 1 shift shouldn’t have led to a sacking? I would’ve expected a warning or something.
Lucky for your pals to have a slack workplace, but missing a shift/not turning up is pretty much always a sackable offence if they wish, you've been contracted to do a job and haven't done it, it's pretty much the clearest reason to sack someone possible.
Yeah, not always a first choice, but I more mean it's a solid sackable offence. It will always depend what the work place is and how much the unauthorised absence has affected their day, I wouldn't really expect zero hours to be treated differently tbh, all the more replaceable, if anything discipline records matter even less, somewhere with a high temp turnover will be used to scoring out names and calling the next person on the list.
Reply 12
I agree, there's something OP is withholding....
Reply 13
What was the reason cited for the dismissal Callum?
(edited 5 years ago)
True, although i suspect 'not having any more hours assigned' is still near enough the same as sacking, just a lightweight zero hours version, surely that's the core of ANY sacking 'You have displeased us, there is no more work or money for you'

It sounds crap in OPs situ as they say there wasn't a shift scheduled or that they were made aware of, which obv in a zero hour, is your word against theirs, the trouble with only being able to explain yourself AFTER it's happened is it's already annoyed bosses as much as possible and they've likely made a decision before even hearing your explanation, in contrast it's a lot harder to kick someone who has been able to warn you in advance they won't be there.

I spent a few years working and then supervising gardening teams for my council and they were brutal, they KNOW it's a high turnover temp job so they interview and train a big pool of reserves, when someone doesn't show, comes in late, or prangs their van into a lamppost drunk, they're insta dismissed and they move straight to the next person who will start the next morning. Hell they sacked my original gaffer for having a heart attack in the parking lot. When we had a crash in the van we got special treatment, 3 days off before being threatened with the sack, regardless of injuries.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by AMICH
What was the reason cited for the dismissal Callum?

Sorry for the late response, I wasn't on a 0 hours contract I was on a 15 hours a week contact with the possibility of overtime. I was still on my probation and I got a call on Wednesday evening to tell me. So they could've called me the day after I missed the first shift but they for some reason waited until all of my contracted shifts for the week were finished to let me know.
Reply 16
I hope they paid you in lieu of notice? If they dismissed you because of gross misconduct you have a (time limited) right of appeal which you should have been notified of, but no entitlement to payment in lieu of notice; it’s called summary dismissal. If this dismissal was due to not achieving the standards of behaviour within your probationary period, you should be paid in lieu of notice, 1 week. Either way, for their action to be lawful, they need to follow a process and inform you of what that process is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending