The Student Room Group

'unite the right' fascist rally green lighted in Washington

Lovely...

The National Park Service (NPS) has granted officials permits for a white nationalist rally and counter-protests in Washington DC on 12 August.
Jason Kessler, who organised last year's deadly "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, received approval for the event in June.
But NPS waited to issue the permit before finalising a security plan.
The "Unite the Right 2" rally will be held near the White House and about 400 people are expected to attend.

It comes on the first anniversary of last year's rally, which led to the death of one counter-protester.

"Permits were issued this morning for Jason Kessler and ANSWER Coalition and will be posted on the National Park Service Freedom of Information Act website as soon as the [Freedom of Information Act] officer has reviewed them and applied any necessary redactions," said Mike Litterst, the chief of communications for the NPS, in a statement on Thursday.
The event will take place in Lafayette Park which is adjacent to the White House. It allows for up to 400 participants, who say they plan to protest "civil rights abuse in Charlottesville, VA/white civil rights rally".
Ex-Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke is one of the scheduled speakers.

Speakers also include Patrick Little, Simon Roche, Kevin Cormier, Avi Horton, Corey Mahler and Tom Kawcyznki, according to the permit.
Unlike last year, they are banned from holding a march or carrying open-flame torches, as they did in Virginia to protest against the removal of Confederate monuments.

The group's website is advising participants to bring bodycams and US or Confederate flags, but not items like guns, pepper spray, shields or knives.
Participants are also asked to "not react with anger to anyone".
NPS has also granted permits for two counter-protests, including one for activist group ANSWER Coalition.

Virginia's governor has declared a state of emergency as a safety precaution, but no events are scheduled over the weekend.
Mr Kessler had sued the city after he was denied a permit to hold a second rally, but dropped the case last Friday.
"On Sunday we know that we have people coming to our city for the sole purpose of spewing hate," Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser said at a press conference on Thursday afternoon.
She added her condolences to the family of Heather Heyer, the 32-year-old woman who was killed last year after a neo-Nazi driver ploughed his car into a group of anti-racist protesters.
Two Virginia State Police troopers also died when their helicopter crashed as they policed the event.
Washington DC police have closed traffic in certain parts of the city ahead of the event, and are stepping up patrols as a precaution.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45123605

Scroll to see replies

This seems unlikely to end well.
Aroind 20 people turned up. Fantastic turnout.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sulfolobus
Aroind 20 people turned up. Fantastic turnout.

Still, nice of the BBC to report another non-event in the US and give you two something to think about. White supremacists, fascists, racists, white people, all the keywords and all that...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
"The group's website is advising participants to bring bodycams and US or Confederate flags, but not items like guns, pepper spray, shields or knives.
Participants are also asked to "not react with anger to anyone".

Such fascistic words...
Original post by zhog
Still, nice of the BBC to report another non-event in the US and give you two something to think about. White supremacists, fascists, racists, white people, all the keywords and all that...

They gotta keep the fear of the far-right, neo-Nazi boogiemen alive somehow.

The best part is the "counter-protesters" created more trouble than the Unite the Right people did. It would be hilarious if people started organising fake marches and protests so the likes of Antifa could keep making asses of themselves (and wasting their time).
Original post by Dandaman1
They gotta keep the fear of the far-right, neo-Nazi boogiemen alive somehow.

The best part is the "counter-protesters" created more trouble than the Unite the Right people did. It would be hilarious if people started organising fake marches and protests so the likes of Antifa could keep making asses of themselves (and wasting their time).

It's precisely because of the effectiveness of Antifa tactics (which is more than just counter-protests) that the fascists were so few in number this time compared to last year.
Original post by anarchism101
It's precisely because of the effectiveness of Antifa tactics (which is more than just counter-protests) that the fascists were so few in number this time compared to last year.

Can you back that up at all? This was one demonstration with a low turnout, which there could have been a whole bunch of reasons for.

And I don't think it's fair to keep calling right-wing protesters fascists. Some of them might be (I don't know who everyone at this rally was), but in general that term gets thrown around in a very careless, slanderous manner. It would be sad if conservatives were actually being bullied out of demonstrating due to being threatened by an organisation of hooded, overzealous thugs.
Original post by anarchism101

@Davij038

It works
Reply 9
maybe the low turnout was because someone got murdered last year. showing up again would be like condoning what happened.
I think the time is fast approaching in America, despite their obsession with freedom of speech, where they are going to need to ban protesters at rallies.
The right can have their rallies and be free from violence and the Left can have their rallies and be free from violence.
Can you back that up at all? This was one demonstration with a low turnout, which there could have been a whole bunch of reasons for.

Admittedly, the decline of the "alt-right" is in part due to the inevitable infighting between far-right factions, and some level of greater mainstream scrutiny. But I think antifa have certainly played their part. Some of the fascists at this protest explicitly said they thought people have been scared off after what happened in Charlottesville. Andrew Anglin openly called for his followers not to go to the rally due to fear that being identified as an attendee would "ruin your life, forever" (i.e. through the identification of attendees by antifa which led to ostracisation, job loss, etc for many UTR attendees last year). Jason Kessler, the organiser of both "Unite the Right" protests, hinted at a similar point when he acknowledged that a lot of "alt-right" protesters were “people who aren’t used to being out of the internet" who hadn't realised that turning up to a far-right rally might have consequences. Richard Spencer has said that he's largely given up on doing rallies in large part due to antifa.

And I don't think it's fair to keep calling right-wing protesters fascists.

Depends on the protest. It's true than in some cases, like some of the Berkeley rallies in 2017, there's a more mixed crowd of some full-on fascists and some less extreme but still pretty hard-right reactionaries and conspiracists. But Charlottesville last year was a pretty clear-cut rally of fascists and white supremacists. And given the DC one a few days ago was explicitly billed as the anniversary rally to that one and organised by the same guy, it was fair to assume the same this year.
...And I don't think it's fair...

I don't believe right-wingers really care much for what is fair in the world unless they they think they are the victims of something or other.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
@Davij038

It works

what Antifa tactics working in connection with the media and corporations?

I mean sure it put people off attending rallies and stuff but unless you have tens of thousands going it’s not going to change much anyway. I’m with Anglin on this, as @anarchism101 says. I don’t think this has much repercussions on the Alt Right though, I’d say paradoxically we are stronger than ever. Especially in Europe. All Antifa have managed to do is ruin a few people’s lives- some of whom weren’t even Nazis but just Trump supporters.

As for the US:

Antifa attacking ICE and police officers as well as just trashing the place when there’s no actual Nazis to fight isn’t winning over the people

Trump is growing more popular and will almost certainly be in power till 2024

The MSM is growing in unpopularity thanks to Trump.

The only ‘victory’ that Antifa May have won is that they can control the public Space to an extent so if they see someone wearing a trump hat they can beat them to a pulp with probable impunity, but that’s not exactky s long term doloutikn and is going to create a whole bunch of problems too.
Original post by Axiomasher
I don't believe right-wingers really care much for what is fair in the world unless they they think they are the victims of something or other.

Lefties tend to confuse fairness with equality these two aren’t necessarily exclusive.
Original post by Davij038
Lefties tend to confuse fairness with equality these two aren’t necessarily exclusive.

Exclusive to what?
Exclusive to what?

Each other
Each other

I don't follow you. Fairness and equality are often understood as mutually constituting depending on what the specifics are.
I don't follow you. Fairness and equality are often understood as mutually constituting depending on what the specifics are.

Well for instance, I believe very strongly in a conception of fairness or justice but I don’t believe in equality at all- that it exists or that it should even exist- except maybe under God in a religious sense.,

This needn’t be an alt right position either.

Trump is growing more popular and will almost certainly be in power till 2024

Trump isn't getting more popular. He's remaining at almost exactly the same level of popularity and barely moving up or down at all.

His approval ratings are hard to compare to those of other presidents. In his first year, Trump was unprecedentedly unpopular for a modern President. That's not longer so much the case, but that's not really due to any significant rise in Trump's popularity (though Dec 2017 was his low point so far), and more due to it being normal for Presidents a year and a half in to be at or near their lowest point. It's true that Trump is not far below where the likes of Bush, Reagan and Obama were at this stage in their first terms (he's also close to where Carter and Ford were, but they lost re-election), but this misses that they'd all been more popular in the past and so regaining some popularity by election year looked feasible. Trump, by contrast, has never been that popular.

As for his chances of re-election, it's hard to say at this stage. I think his most likely chance of winning is through the glitches of the Electoral College again - his chances of a popular vote win are actually pretty low, in my opinion. I'd say at the moment the chances of him still being President in Feb 2021 are somewhere around 35-40%, but there are too many factors in play at this point - how the Mueller investigation proceeds, how the Democrats use their likely House majority after the midterms, which candidate they pick, and perhaps most importantly, how the economy goes - I think it's pretty likely that Trump's random uncoordinated tariffs*, trade agreement cancellations, and trade wars will result in an economic slump, the question is just whether it will fall at a fortuitous time for Trump.

But my worry about Trump isn't fascism. Trump's not an ideologue, he's a narcissistic opportunist who'll turn on anyone and throw anyone under the bus. And I know his cult's obsession with him is independent of anything he actually does, but he's never going to deliver on much in the way of promises. My bigger fear is authoritarian kleptocracy, which is much closer to Trump's ideal.

* This isn't bashing tariffs in general, they're a tool of economic policy which can be used productively. But Trump is just randomly crashing about and imposing them based on whims and personal grudges.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending