The Student Room Group

Going into FIlm with no experience? Additionally, which uni?

Hi all,

I'm interested in applying for a Film Production course for 2019. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience in film-making due to my location and the insane requirements of the high school course I'm doing right now. I went on a uni tour last holiday and they all assured me that it was fine to not have experience, but I'd love to hear someone's experience coming in a bit clueless like me!

I graduate in November this year so I'll have almost a year to work up some experience before uni, but I do have to apply now.

Also, what do you think of the following schools?

Unis I've Visited:
- Leeds
- UWE
- Reading
- Royal Holloway

Unis I need to look more into:
- Bournemouth (?)
- York (?)
- Met School (?)
- Ravensbourne (?)
- Westminster (?)
- Portsmouth (?)
- Norwich (?)
Reply 1
Original post by annabel3926
Hi all,

I'm interested in applying for a Film Production course for 2019. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience in film-making due to my location and the insane requirements of the high school course I'm doing right now. I went on a uni tour last holiday and they all assured me that it was fine to not have experience, but I'd love to hear someone's experience coming in a bit clueless like me!

I graduate in November this year so I'll have almost a year to work up some experience before uni, but I do have to apply now.

Also, what do you think of the following schools?

Unis I've Visited:
- Leeds
- UWE
- Reading
- Royal Holloway

Unis I need to look more into:
- Bournemouth (?)
- York (?)
- Met School (?)
- Ravensbourne (?)
- Westminster (?)
- Portsmouth (?)
- Norwich (?)

Get a degree in film isn't the be all and end of getting into industry. Almost no one will ever use your degree as a reason for employing you. It's done by word of mouth and showreel of your work.
Met is great because it's practical and has a lot of links.. however it's stupidly expensive and essentially a money maker.
Ravensbourne is decent depending on where you want to end up, it's nice and close to lots of work houses in central london where you can spend summer as a runner.
You say bournemouth... don't go to main bournemouth uni.. it's not great imo. Go to AUB - Arts University Bournemouth.... way better experience. Would recommend.

But above all. Spend your free time doing film. Network, network network.
Original post by 8472
Get a degree in film isn't the be all and end of getting into industry. Almost no one will ever use your degree as a reason for employing you. It's done by word of mouth and showreel of your work.
Met is great because it's practical and has a lot of links.. however it's stupidly expensive and essentially a money maker.
Ravensbourne is decent depending on where you want to end up, it's nice and close to lots of work houses in central london where you can spend summer as a runner.
You say bournemouth... don't go to main bournemouth uni.. it's not great imo. Go to AUB - Arts University Bournemouth.... way better experience. Would recommend.

But above all. Spend your free time doing film. Network, network network.

Hey, just wanted to ask why you think BU leaves something to be desired? I'm considering applying there for animation but I've heard less-than-great things about it :^/
Reply 3
Original post by ClockworkPaws
Hey, just wanted to ask why you think BU leaves something to be desired? I'm considering applying there for animation but I've heard less-than-great things about it :^/

It has leaned on the reputation of Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) for years to get people onto its media/creative degrees .they are different unis and AUB is a go to place with better everything. Apply to AUB instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending