The Student Room Group

A-Level Results Support Live Until 9pm!

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to our live A-level results support. You're with National Careers Service and Exam Results Helpline adviser Sophie tonight.

Come along and let me know how you're feeling and what's on your mind tonight.

Scroll to see replies

Very stressed as I know I've missed both offers.
Original post by iluvkiki213
Very stressed as I know I've missed both offers.

Hi there,

You will be one of many stressed A-level students tonight!

Have you heard back from both of your offers through UCAS track already?

Thanks - Sophie.
I'm applying to my firm uni which is well known for it's reputation. I've had mitigating circumstances during my exams which certainly affected my performance in all my exams and I'm certain I've missed both my offers. I've told both my firm and insurance uni but I still get the feeling they're not going to accept me. It's stressing me so much :frown:
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

You will be one of many stressed A-level students tonight!

Have you heard back from both of your offers through UCAS track already?

Thanks - Sophie.

No, not through UCAS track but I've gathered the marks lost on my chemistry exams and I've missed a grade/borderline so will be tense getting the result tomorrow.
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to our live A-level results support. You're with National Careers Service and Exam Results Helpline adviser Sophie tonight.

Come along and let me know how you're feeling and what's on your mind tonight.

do you know if there are many (degree) apprenticeship/placement year schemes still taking applicanys in case results day doesn't go to plan? I am going for engineering/physical sciences
Original post by FatesMoonlight
I'm applying to my firm uni which is well known for it's reputation. I've had mitigating circumstances during my exams which certainly affected my performance in all my exams and I'm certain I've missed both my offers. I've told both my firm and insurance uni but I still get the feeling they're not going to accept me. It's stressing me so much :frown:

Thanks for getting involved tonight.

I understand why this is making you feel stressed and sorry to hear you had mitigating circumstances.

What course have you applied for?

Thanks - Sophie
Original post by iluvkiki213
No, not through UCAS track but I've gathered the marks lost on my chemistry exams and I've missed a grade/borderline so will be tense getting the result tomorrow.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you do get the grades you need.

Do you have a back up plan if you don't?

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by isiaiah d
do you know if there are many (degree) apprenticeship/placement year schemes still taking applicanys in case results day doesn't go to plan? I am going for engineering/physical sciences

Hi there,

Good question!

Apprenticeships are like jobs so they start at different times throughout the year so it's likely there will still be opportunities available now and in the future.

Higher and degree apprenticeships are a great alternative to university and you will get the exact same qualification. Do you know how to search for local vacancies?

Thanks - Sophie.
Thanks for getting involved tonight.

I understand why this is making you feel stressed and sorry to hear you had mitigating circumstances.

What course have you applied for?

Thanks - Sophie

I've applied for Pharmacy with KCL being my firm and Aston being my insurance. Both Uni's have my course in clearing as well, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
Hi there,

Good question!

Apprenticeships are like jobs so they start at different times throughout the year so it's likely there will still be opportunities available now and in the future.

Higher and degree apprenticeships are a great alternative to university and you will get the exact same qualification. Do you know how to search for local vacancies?

Thanks - Sophie.

Well, I know there is a national search tool but a lot of the time it doesn't include some - I recently saw the Dyson scheme was considering clearing but it wasn't on the website
I've applied for Pharmacy with KCL being my firm and Aston being my insurance. Both Uni's have my course in clearing as well, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Also applied for pharmacy at kcl which is my firm !! SAME here im so scared what do you think you will achieve ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Also applied for pharmacy at kcl which is my firm !! SAME here im so scared what do you think you will achieve ?
Uhm maybe an A in biology if I'm lucky (it's my strong subject), I know I did awful in maths and chemistry so I'm guessing Cs for those two :'(
Uhm maybe an A in biology if I'm lucky (it's my strong subject), I know I did awful in maths and chemistry so I'm guessing Cs for those two :'(

Same here i didnt do well in maths or chem :frown:

It may just be that there wasn't enough applicants for the degree course or some have dropped out and they now have available places through clearing. Try not to think about that too much.

Hopefully things go to plan and you get accepted into at least on of your options. Sometimes if you don't get the results you need but come quite close the uni may still accept you or they might give you something called a counter offer where they offer you a different course of a foundation degree instead to help you get to where you need to be.

If things don't go to plan and you are left with no offers there is the option to look at clearing, different courses of possibly apprenticeships as you can become a pharmacy technician through this route.

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by nisha.sri
Same here i didnt do well in maths or chem :frown:

Completely feel you too because KCL are looking for a high grade in Chemistry especially :bawling::bawling:
Original post by isiaiah d
Well, I know there is a national search tool but a lot of the time it doesn't include some - I recently saw the Dyson scheme was considering clearing but it wasn't on the website

I wouldn't just rely on the search tool through UCAS. I would also use the Find an Apprenticeship website here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

You may look today and not find anything and then you may look tomorrow and there may vacancies just added. It really is as and when an employer needs an apprentice to start.

If you're worried you're not going to get the grades you need and you cannot find any apprenticeship opportunities you could consider going through clearing or looking into the foundation route as a stepping stone onto the full degree.

Thanks - Sophie.
It may just be that there wasn't enough applicants for the degree course or some have dropped out and they now have available places through clearing. Try not to think about that too much.

Hopefully things go to plan and you get accepted into at least on of your options. Sometimes if you don't get the results you need but come quite close the uni may still accept you or they might give you something called a counter offer where they offer you a different course of a foundation degree instead to help you get to where you need to be.

If things don't go to plan and you are left with no offers there is the option to look at clearing, different courses of possibly apprenticeships as you can become a pharmacy technician through this route.

Thanks - Sophie.
Thank you, I really appreciate your advice and that I can talk with you tonight x
Completely feel you too because KCL are looking for a high grade in Chemistry especially :bawling::bawling:

Ikr :frown: Im so worried and i hope everything goes well for both you and I. Good luck x
Thank you, I really appreciate your advice and that I can talk with you tonight x

You're very welcome.

It's important that you know that whatever happens tomorrow there are still a world of options and opportunities out there.

If you don't do well this doesn't define or determine your value or your success in a career.

Our service is running the Exam Results Helpline tomorrow from 8am you can call for free on 0800 100 900 or chat to the adviser through the National Careers Service website.

I wish you the very best of luck and don't hesitate to get back to me tonight if you have more questions.

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest