The Student Room Group

Continue grad job or leave?

So I've managed to land a graduate job in media/PR, which came along unexpectedly right after graduation this summer.

The office and people are great. Too many it would seem the ideal job, and whilst I have enjoyed my first month, I've found the role not to be what I expected - lack of training, the top-down pressure of the industry (the worst), and lack of comfort.

Some days its okay, but most weeks in the past month, I'm very emotional and have been going home crying and dont know why. Sometime, I do anything to leave as quick as I can in the evening, and although on the surface I'm getting great feedback from my managers I'm quite apathetic in the work I'm doing (although if I resign it would shock them).

I was due to commence Primary teaching PGCE this September (original plan), and still have this option open.

I am considering handing in my notice, and going back to teaching route.

I have gained numerous school experience over the years in preparation for this path but feel mad in this decision mainly due to the horror stories I've heard about of the hours and work that dominates PGCE.

Many have said to me go back to teaching in a year and stick out the job, as teaching will be alot more stress and take over your social life outside of office hours - and I'm mad to do a PGCE considering bad perceptions of teaching and that many are leaving the profession when I have this job!!

I know the hours and hard graft involved in teaching and feel like I'll have the energy to do it now rather than later... and feel like with teaching I'll have a stronger structure and as a fresh graduate will be tuned into the workload and study of which is expected - which in a few years time would not be the case.

Do I hold this job out and run the risk of knowing that I wont like things in a month of so, and being left with nothing or go back to teaching afterall?

With regards to the job I dont really feel anything toward staying or leaving, a bit numb.

If I do leave, my only concern is that getting back into media in the future (in a year or so) will be very difficult, although I'll only be 21 next year when I finish the PGCE.

The worst thing about handing in my notice is that I'd feel bad to say to the team as on the surface it looks like I like the role and that they'd have to hire again.

I need to make my decision soon.

Grad dilemma - Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or advice?

Much appreciated!
Original post by lucy_p_2018
So I've managed to land a graduate job in media/PR, which came along unexpectedly right after graduation this summer.

The office and people are great. Too many it would seem the ideal job, and whilst I have enjoyed my first month, I've found the role not to be what I expected - lack of training, the top-down pressure of the industry (the worst), and lack of comfort.

Some days its okay, but most weeks in the past month, I'm very emotional and have been going home crying and dont know why. Sometime, I do anything to leave as quick as I can in the evening, and although on the surface I'm getting great feedback from my managers I'm quite apathetic in the work I'm doing (although if I resign it would shock them).

I was due to commence Primary teaching PGCE this September (original plan), and still have this option open.

I am considering handing in my notice, and going back to teaching route.

I have gained numerous school experience over the years in preparation for this path but feel mad in this decision mainly due to the horror stories I've heard about of the hours and work that dominates PGCE.

Many have said to me go back to teaching in a year and stick out the job, as teaching will be alot more stress and take over your social life outside of office hours - and I'm mad to do a PGCE considering bad perceptions of teaching and that many are leaving the profession when I have this job!!

I know the hours and hard graft involved in teaching and feel like I'll have the energy to do it now rather than later... and feel like with teaching I'll have a stronger structure and as a fresh graduate will be tuned into the workload and study of which is expected - which in a few years time would not be the case.

Do I hold this job out and run the risk of knowing that I wont like things in a month of so, and being left with nothing or go back to teaching afterall?

With regards to the job I dont really feel anything toward staying or leaving, a bit numb.

If I do leave, my only concern is that getting back into media in the future (in a year or so) will be very difficult, although I'll only be 21 next year when I finish the PGCE.

The worst thing about handing in my notice is that I'd feel bad to say to the team as on the surface it looks like I like the role and that they'd have to hire again.

I need to make my decision soon.

Grad dilemma - Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or advice?

Much appreciated!

From the environment I'm in, there's a culture where if you're not happy or if you're struggling with your role, or reversely if you're really happy and want to progress further, then it's always best to discuss it with your employer. They seem to dislike going behind their backs and rightly so, given that your keeping things from them, however I can totally understand your reservations as it's not the easiest thing to do.

Do you think there's a way to improve the job you've got, perhaps give you more training or relieve that pressure that's put on you for now, at least until you've settled in better. Surely if you're getting great feedback then they know you are capable and they'll be willing to listen to you and help you develop. it may just be that they aren't aware of the struggles you're facing and how unhappy you are.

I'd suggest sitting with them for half an hour and just expiating your situation and what your ambitions/plans are and how you'd like to work with them. Even if they can't help you, at least they know your intentions and if opportunities arise, they may be able to direct you to them or put you forward for them.

If you need a hand with anything just let me know, but the best of luck with it all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending