The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Should I buy the books from my reading list before arriving in the UK or after?

Hi! I’m an international student and I’ll be doing English Literature.

As the title suggests, I was wondering if I should buy my books right now or if I should wait till I arrive in the UK to buy them via Amazon or Book Depository etc? Should buy them after I arrive to save all that luggage space?

Thanks in advance!
After you arrive, most definitely. Save lugging them through the airport!
University of York
York
Original post by ScreamerOfStars

As the title suggests, I was wondering if I should buy my books right now or if I should wait till I arrive in the UK to buy them via Amazon or Book Depository etc? Should buy them after I arrive to save all that luggage space?

Thanks in advance!

After! While you'll obviously need to buy your primary texts - novels etc. - a lot of the other resources you need will be provided by the library, either physically or online, so it's worth waiting to ensure you don't buy anything you don't need to. Even if you're sure about what you need to buy, you might as well leave more luggage space for essentials and buy them in York.
After you arrive. Then you don't have to carry them about/pay extra for more luggage. You can also see what you're able to borrow form the library or busy second hand and also decide on what you actually need to buy (you might not need everything recommended).

Thanks in advance!

As an international who did English Lit I feel your pain! I think there's definitely little point buying all of them before you arrive - as you said, you won't have the space for all of them, and as someone else rightly pointed out, many will be available in your university library. That being said, it might be worth buying just one or two primary texts for now if you prefer, so that you can get a head start on reading them but still be able to carry them in your luggage.
I spent hundreds of pounds (not even joking) on buying books that were listed as "compulsory purchases" on the reading list before I started uni, and we only ever used two of them.

It was a horrific waste of money, and I know for a fact that lots of other unis are the same.

Chances are you can just borrow the books from your library whenever you actually need them.

Thanks in advance!

Buy a couple before to read in the meantime and on the commute to the UK then the rest when you are here. Are you excited ? What university did you get int to ? xxx

Thanks in advance!

Unless they are significantly cheaper, then definitely after. theres also a period of a few weeks where you cna get by borrowing or using the library till you figure out just what books you need or can get second hand. You could save money that way. the UK has enough bookshops plus Amazon as backup.
Reply 8
Ah, packing books is always a nightmare! York has a couple of options though if you want to save the hassle - Blackwell's will be selling 1st year books, at the discounted rate, in the Department in the first week of term. It's also possible to order from Blackwells over the phone, using the information on your reading list, for collection when you arrive.
Wait until you get there
I don’t know what it’s like for your course, but I’m doing Law and have bought loads of textbooks only to use one or two pages of them, while other books are extremely useful and have been used plenty
Wait until you start and your teachers will give you an idea of which books are worth buying and which you can get online or borrow from the library or get second hand, and also your local uni bookstore may offer a deal for all the main books as a set to make it cheaper as well
Original post by Curious Orange
After you arrive, most definitely. Save lugging them through the airport!

Original post by doctorwhofan98
After! While you'll obviously need to buy your primary texts - novels etc. - a lot of the other resources you need will be provided by the library, either physically or online, so it's worth waiting to ensure you don't buy anything you don't need to. Even if you're sure about what you need to buy, you might as well leave more luggage space for essentials and buy them in York.

Original post by RK
After you arrive. Then you don't have to carry them about/pay extra for more luggage. You can also see what you're able to borrow form the library or busy second hand and also decide on what you actually need to buy (you might not need everything recommended).

Original post by am3liepoulain
As an international who did English Lit I feel your pain! I think there's definitely little point buying all of them before you arrive - as you said, you won't have the space for all of them, and as someone else rightly pointed out, many will be available in your university library. That being said, it might be worth buying just one or two primary texts for now if you prefer, so that you can get a head start on reading them but still be able to carry them in your luggage.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I spent hundreds of pounds (not even joking) on buying books that were listed as "compulsory purchases" on the reading list before I started uni, and we only ever used two of them.

It was a horrific waste of money, and I know for a fact that lots of other unis are the same.

Chances are you can just borrow the books from your library whenever you actually need them.

Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Buy a couple before to read in the meantime and on the commute to the UK then the rest when you are here. Are you excited ? What university did you get int to ? xxx

Original post by 999tigger
Unless they are significantly cheaper, then definitely after. theres also a period of a few weeks where you cna get by borrowing or using the library till you figure out just what books you need or can get second hand. You could save money that way. the UK has enough bookshops plus Amazon as backup.

Original post by arho
Ah, packing books is always a nightmare! York has a couple of options though if you want to save the hassle - Blackwell's will be selling 1st year books, at the discounted rate, in the Department in the first week of term. It's also possible to order from Blackwells over the phone, using the information on your reading list, for collection when you arrive.

Original post by GSedgley
Wait until you get there
I don’t know what it’s like for your course, but I’m doing Law and have bought loads of textbooks only to use one or two pages of them, while other books are extremely useful and have been used plenty
Wait until you start and your teachers will give you an idea of which books are worth buying and which you can get online or borrow from the library or get second hand, and also your local uni bookstore may offer a deal for all the main books as a set to make it cheaper as well

Thanks for your input everyone! I'll buy them when I get there then. Might order from Blackwells or Amazon. :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for your input everyone! I'll buy them when I get there then. Might order from Blackwells or Amazon. :biggrin:

As you're doing English, the exception would be if you think you won't have the time to read all the longer texts/novels before your contact hours begin - so it might be worth ordering some of the longest ones now! But otherwise it's better to wait if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest