The Student Room Group

I didn't get into my 1st Choice University and now I have a PhD

Fourteen years ago I thought my world had ended when I didn’t get the grade I needed in Human Biology to get into my first choice University despite getting 100% in the subject I wanted to study (Psychology). Now I have a 1st class BSc (Hons) degree in Psychology, an MSc and a PhD. Nobody cares about that 1 bad grade now! If you didn't get the results you expected today, there are always options. There is no one route.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrCharl
Fourteen years ago I thought my world had ended when I didn’t get the grade I needed in Human Biology to get into my first choice University despite getting 100% in the subject I wanted to study (Psychology). Now I have a 1st class BSc (Hons) degree in Psychology, an MSc and a PhD. Nobody cares about that 1 bad grade now! If you didn't get the results you expected today, there are always options. There is no one route.

When did you get your PhD and how old are you now?
Reply 2
Original post by Little Popcorns
When did you get your PhD and how old are you now?

In December 2017. I studied for my PhD part-time whilst working full-time as a Research Assistant and then as a Lecturer.
The only true failure is giving up :yep: Life is full of set backs and getting a B instead of an A is not the end of the world, although it can feel like it at the time.
Original post by DrCharl
In December 2017. I studied for my PhD part-time whilst working full-time as a Research Assistant and then as a Lecturer.

Nice :smile:

How old are you now?
Yeah except you spent 14 years studying...
I can join this club as of next year :tongue: (final year phd)
Original post by DarthRoar

Yeah. 3 years college, 3 years under, 1 year master's, 5 plus years p/t PhD. That's how it works. Keep your shade.
Reply 8
Original post by Slowbro93
I can join this club as of next year :tongue: (final year phd)

Excellent! All the best with your final year!
Original post by AnnaArmond1988
Yeah. 3 years college, 3 years under, 1 year master's, 5 plus years p/t PhD. That's how it works. Keep your shade.
That's not 14 years :p: Their part time PhD probably took longer than that. If they had done it full time it would have been more like 4 years, but this is not influenced by his A-level results.
Original post by EierVonSatan
That's not 14 years :p: Their part time PhD probably took longer than that. If they had done it full time it would have been more like 4 years, but this is not influenced by his A-level results.

I said 5+ years. At my uni it's 7 years ish. I didn't say anything about their A-level results, the poster I was referring to was throwing unnecessary shade. The original poster didn't give a gender/sex either so..."they"
Original post by AnnaArmond1988
I said 5+ years. At my uni it's 7 years ish. I didn't say anything about their A-level results, the poster I was referring to was throwing unnecessary shade. The original poster didn't give a gender/sex either so..."they"

Ah so you did, my bad! I was reinforcing the OPs point that his A-level results didn't hold them back and it could have been done in less time. No need to get defensive.
Can you just give me a job?
I wanna skip doing my alvls
Original post by DarthRoar

oh no, studying is so bad.
PhDs are worthless.

There is almost no job in the world that requires a PhD. Furthermore there is a glut of PhD graduates.

Get a bachelors and get out. The education system is broken.
Original post by anonthecool
PhDs are worthless.

There is almost no job in the world that requires a PhD. Furthermore there is a glut of PhD graduates.

What if you want to go into an academia?
Original post by Noodlzzz
What if you want to go into an academia?
Don't feed the troll :troll:
Original post by anonthecool
PhDs are worthless.

The funniest thing I have heard all day lol. PhDs are worthless. Try competing against a PhD in a market whether that is economy, business or academia, chances are a PhD will be preferred over a graduate.
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
The funniest thing I have heard all day lol. PhDs are worthless. Try competing against a PhD in a market whether that is economy, business or academia, chances are a PhD will be preferred over a graduate.

Not entirely true.
PhD actually close more doors than using a postgraduate degree to apply for business sector. And your employability has nothing to do with your education level after undergraduate, unless you are applying to a specific academic field required certain education level(.etc STEM).
If you try to stand at the position of a business company, it is actually too expansive to employ a PhD graduate.
Original post by KeirCKF
Not entirely true.
PhD actually close more doors than using a postgraduate degree to apply for business sector. And your employability has nothing to do with your education level after undergraduate, unless you are applying to a specific academic field required certain education level(.etc STEM).
If you try to stand at the position of a business company, it is actually too expansive to employ a PhD graduate.

I mean compared to a sector where you need educators and a lot of sectors prefer PhD. In some cases it closes more doors bit it opens more doors in others. Depends where you are looking at but I do agree with what you've said.

Quick Reply

Latest