The Student Room Group

Fell off that path- can't see any more stars...

Hello to anyone unlucky enough to be wasting their free time (or what should be their work time- in which case get back to work you procrastinating ****) reading this.

For those who didn't read my GYG last year, my name's Lewianter which you already know if you can read at all (well, technically it's Matthew) and 3 weeks today I'm gonna be starting my AS Level journey. You won't get the title.

For those who did read my GYG last year, why the hell are you here again? Thanks very much regardless- at least you understand the title...

I'm scared to start but yet excited, and I'm writing this sentence so I can look upon that excitement with a lot of regret in the months to come.

I'm doing chemistry, maths, physics, and music AS levels.

At the moment I volunteer at an Oxfam store twice a week and I've applied to McDonald's and Primark for part time work- I'll continue volunteering until I get an interview anywhere else, simply.

Something that'll crop up here a lot is the musical I wrote- that's because in my former secondary school the drama department are interested in getting past pupils back to perform it and that will be starting in September. It scares me so much more than college.

OK then, now for the interesting bit- GCSE grades.

Spoiler

AS Mocks- December 2018

Spoiler

As I said last year, to anyone reading, thank you and good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've copied over last year's grand tag list of 5 people- if you want to be added/removed from it please tell me.

@clouddbubbles
@Toastiekid
@04MR17
@Sinead's Dreams
@Evil Homer
Reply 2
OH YEAH. To those doing GCSE (music and geography in particular) I have some very helpful resources from last year I still have that I could send pictures of. They are for the WJEC course but they'll probably be helpful somewhat for the other boards cause I don't think the courses are that much different other than case studies and detailed studies.
Good luck with your GCSE results Matthew!
You wrote a musical!? And it will be performed by actual people!? Holy moly that's insane but lowkey scary ahhhh good luck my man:tongue:

Tag me up, of course:smile:
good luck with gcse results day!
i don't think a lot of people are completely firm with their choices:lol: tag me please:smile:
Reply 5
Thu Aug 16-

I'm a lot more nervous for next week and for Cleve after seeing friends recieving AS results. One friend received AABB at AS and describes her mood as suicidal and she's never usually the type to be like that about things like that. So that's what college has done to her...is AABB really that bad?

I haven't been doing that much studying over the holidays because my time has been devoted to volunteering and notating the score for the musical I've written- if that's gonna be performed next year it sorta needs one quite quick. I will find time to brush up on a few things before college commences though. I hope.

@clouddbubbles
@Toastiekid
@04MR17
@Sinead's Dreams
@Evil Homer
@SomMC1
@entertainmyfaith

Again anyone who's on that list from last time and doesn't want to be there please tell me.
Reply 6
...why did the spoiler not work
Original post by Lewianter
...why did the spoiler not work

You don’t need a / on the first spoiler code
AABB is great what?!!!
i’d be happy with that for AS
maybe not for a level, but defo for AS
Reply 9
Original post by Toastiekid
You don’t need a / on the first spoiler code

Thanking youuu in my old one I just copied it over every time so I still don't really know
i'm as anxious as you are! just going to try and distract myself for the next week:colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i'm as anxious as you are! just going to try and distract myself for the next week:colondollar:

In the shop I volunteer at the deputy manager (who's there every day) is a kind but really annoying old woman (whose husband was my form tutor at school in year 10 oddly) who tells these awful stories about how badly her kids did and how they're all somewhere terrible with their lives now but always ends it with "But I'm sure you'll do better than that". It messes with my head and makes distracting myself from results day pretty much impossible- annoying when the only time I forget about it is when I'm busy at work. I'm in work Monday and Wednesday so I've got her on my back twice next week, and possibly also tomorrow, though I've only been asked in tomorrow because of the lack of staff so maybe she'll be off? I hope...
In the shop I volunteer at the deputy manager (who's there every day) is a kind but really annoying old woman (whose husband was my form tutor at school in year 10 oddly) who tells these awful stories about how badly her kids did and how they're all somewhere terrible with their lives now but always ends it with "But I'm sure you'll do better than that". It messes with my head and makes distracting myself from results day pretty much impossible- annoying when the only time I forget about it is when I'm busy at work. I'm in work Monday and Wednesday so I've got her on my back twice next week, and possibly also tomorrow, though I've only been asked in tomorrow because of the lack of staff so maybe she'll be off? I hope...

that's not very helpful:sadnod: just try to ignore her and know that bad gcses don't determine your future
Reply 13
Fri Aug 24-

I suppose I’m too easily influenced. But I was sitting in front of the head of physics being enrolled trying to explain why I didn’t want to do physics any more. Eventually I gave in and enrolled to do the 4 subjects but I doubt I’ll stick with 4 for very long. At least this way I can just drop off one if I’m not enjoying- had I chosen the 3 and found I wasn’t happy I’d have had to switch and catch up with work and that’s a lot of work and effort.

I also signed up to a program called GATE that the college runs. It stands for Gifted and Talented Excellence and it’s comprised of the most academically able students at the college. I’m not 100% sure what it does yet but a friend in the year above, who has been in the program throughout her AS year, finds it boring and time-consuming. So now you know- I wish I had before I went and signed up.

I’m going on holiday tomorrow. 3 night cruise. Belgium and France. Hopefully it’ll take my mind off college starting for a while.

But seriously, it’s yet to fully sink in that I’m a college student now! I start a week Tuesday and am very nervous. I’m not gonna make any friends istg.

One more piece of news- I might have gotten the top results in my school, or 2nd top anyway. If so I could apparently be eligible for a £1500 bursary. That’ll be driving lessons covered. …wait, I’ll be starting them in under a year…
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14

Spoiler

Reply 15
Thu Aug 30-

Time for an update on my monotonous life then I guess-

I do want to go into teaching. I may have mentioned this in my old GYG but I ignore that aspiration because my family always take this "You could do better" stance when I mention this. As far as I'm concerned though, you're no better than the person you aspire to be. I want to go on to do a degree in music or a science, followed by a PGCE. There. Now that's cleared up. For now. (Having said that I'm still apprehensive about the idea of uni- just less so now)

College starts on Tuesday- and every day afterward I will be giving updates on the day- when I say updates I really mean sarcastic ranting.

I've been applying for jobs in the hope I'll have time to work around doing 4 A-Levels and trying tp put on a musical I wrote myself. And have a family life. And see friends. And keep my boyfriend- it's surprising I have one of those in the first place especially when you realise I'm one of the most unattractive people I've ever known (I'm bi and have had a boyfriend since November. May as well admit it)

Who else is nervous for what's coming up? Maybe starting year 11, year 12, uni? And has everyone's summer been what they wanted it to be?

Spoiler

glad to hear you seem to have more of an idea of what you want to do in the future:smile:
i'm v nervous for year 12 but also excited:lol:
hope this year goes well and that you're able to manage your busy life:yep:
Reply 17
Original post by entertainmyfaith
glad to hear you seem to have more of an idea of what you want to do in the future:smile:
i'm v nervous for year 12 but also excited:lol:
hope this year goes well and that you're able to manage your busy life:yep:

Yeah, teaching has for about 3 years been a potential career in my head but the pay and my family's comments about teachers (my family hate teachers and parents evenings) has been offputting. This year though I've had 3 teachers tell me on seperate occasions I'd make a perfect teacher- only one of them in the knowledge that I even wanted to go down that path.
Reply 18
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hey @Lewianter , entertainmyfaith pointed me towards your blog she said you wanted to be a teacher and I'm starting my PGCE this year :eek:

I'm doing a thread for it here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5551588 which you can check out if you want, but no pressure. You could also think about checking out the Teacher training, teaching and education jobs sub forum if you wanted.

I do think there are lots of pros of teaching as a job- but it's also not something you have to do straight away after uni- there's lots of support for people who want to career change into teaching. However, if it's what you want to do, definitely don't let your family put you off! I can give you a list of reasons as to why I chose teaching which you can share with them if you want?

I'd love to follow your journey, so please feel free to tag me into updates.

Added to tag list.
Thank you for your interest and linking me to that forum and your GYG- and thank you entertainmyfaith, too. I would indeed be interested in said list- might make me consider even more things I hadn't thought of!
Yeah, teaching has for about 3 years been a potential career in my head but the pay and my family's comments about teachers (my family hate teachers and parents evenings) has been offputting. This year though I've had 3 teachers tell me on seperate occasions I'd make a perfect teacher- only one of them in the knowledge that I even wanted to go down that path.

don't let parents try to put you off!:yep:
if you really have your heart in that job, pay won't stop you:heart: (no pressure ofc though as people often change their mind on what they want to do a lot!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending