The Student Room Group

A Level Results Day 2018: AS Results FAQ

It's that time of year again!

AS results day often feels a bit forgotten about amongst everything else going on, but for the people receiving them it can be huge. Deciding what and where to study at university, what your predicted grades will be like, how hard your year 13 is likely to be, if you just want to start A levels again; it can all feel like it's resting on this. The new A level changes only compound this confusion so in this thread we'll cover the main problems you're likely to encounter.

We'll be around all day and beyond to answer and questions you have about your results and next steps. You might also want to have a look at include the AS and A2 countdown thread, the grade boundaries thread and post your AS results. There is also didn't do as well as you hoped? but hopefully you won't be needing that!

What do my results mean?

This depends entirely on which AS levels you sat. Your results are likely to be a combination of three things:

New AS levels: Not all schools/colleges will be entering students for these, but if they did then you'll get the results as you would have done before. The difference is it's now a stand-alone qualification- the exams you sat this time won't have any affect on your overall A level. You'll do another paper next year with the 'AS' content in that goes towards that.

Internal exams: If you didn't do any of the new AS exams then you probably did these instead. You might have already had these results or schools may be waiting for official grade boundaries if you sat the official AS papers for this year. Don't worry though, they're just so you can see how you're doing and don't count towards your A level results next year.

Old AS levels: (Resits only) If you sat these, you either are gaining just an AS in the subject, or have also sat the full A level modules also, which this will count towards.

The results sheet itself will look like your GCSE one did. The only exception is that the new AS levels don't have a UMS mark (eg. will be similar to maths/English last year) These have now been phased out as all exams for a qualification are sat in one period, so don't need to be scaled to make them even. If you want to know about how grade boundaries are produced then see this thread.

Will I get a certificate?

Again this depends which exams you sat. If it is a new AS qualification you will get a certificate, probably around October or November. If you took an old AS level exam one whether or not you get a certificate depends if your school requests one but it's likely you will. Finally, if your exams were internal you will not get a certificate for obvious reasons.

Can or should I resit my exams?

In the new system, if you want to resit an exam you must resit the whole qualification. As there is now only one exam season per year this would have to be in the following May or June, alongside your other A level exams. As you will be taking lots of other exams around the time which are worth a lot more the general advice would be that this is probably not worth it- that's up to you though. For more information on this and other alternatives see the didn't do as well as you hoped thread here.

What do my results mean for university?

Universities are aware that different schools and colleges are dealing with new AS levels differently. Which system your school is using should not disadvantage you, although some unis do state a preference as to whether they want you to have a certificated AS for example. If this is the case and you don't have one then ask your teacher to explain it in your reference.

In terms of your results, use them to your advantage. Make sure you apply to a range of universities that reflect your results- whilst it's good to have an aspirational choice, you do need to be realistic too! Look beyond the league tables and where it is that's right for you. You'll need to put down any formal results you've had on your UCAS application as well as the exams you'll be taken next year, but your teachers will be giving you predicted grades too whether you have them or not. This can be a lifesaver if you didn't do as well as you hoped but remember that whilst they're trying to help you, they do also need to be able to evidence that you're capable of the grades they're predicting so don't expect anything too much higher. The exception to this is if your results were affected by extenuating circumstances of some kind, which will be explained in your reference.

When you're ready to find out more about applying to uni see the TSR guides here. In the mean time, enjoy the rest of your summer!

Where can I find more information?

Loads of places! There's this thread and the others linked at the top of the post, plus in Applications, Clearing and UCAS and A-levels. Look out for people with the red 'clearing and applications adviser' title and ST members especially. There are also guides to A level reforms from TSR and Ofqual among others, so have a look at them if you're stuck too.
Whatever your results, remember that whatever it feels like right now it is not the end of the world. There is always another way to do things and get where you want to do. There will be numerous other people in your situation and even more who have been in the past that it's all turned out alright for. Try and stay calm and talk to people about what's going on, whoever it may be. Most of all, good luck! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lemur14

What do my results mean?

This depends entirely on which AS levels you sat. Your results are likely to be a combination of three things:

New AS levels: Not all schools/colleges will be entering students for these, but if they did then you'll get the results as you would have done before. The difference is it's now a stand-alone qualification- the exams you sat this time won't have any affect on your overall A level. You'll do another paper next year with the 'AS' content in that goes towards that.

Internal exams: If you didn't do any of the new AS exams then you probably did these instead. You might have already had these results or schools may be waiting for official grade boundaries if you sat the official AS papers for this year. Don't worry though, they're just so you can see how you're doing and don't count towards your A level results next year.

Old AS levels: (Resits only) If you sat these, you either are gaining just an AS in the subject, or have also sat the full A level modules also, which this will count towards.

I'm pretty sure its different in NI. I have just sat my AS exams and got results that count towards my full A-Level (40% of it) and I am not resiting, just taking my AS' soon to be A2's as normal.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi, I just got my AS-Level Results and they are really bad: U,E,E,D. My college said I can continue next year because my tutors said it doesn't reflect what I have done this year.. However, I feel really bad. Should I get a re-examination or just leave it as I have been accepted into second year?
Original post by EffyApples
I'm pretty sure its different in NI. I have just sat my AS exams and got results that count towards my full A-Level (40% of it) and I am not resiting, just taking my AS' soon to be A2's as normal.

Yep, NI is different as AS still counts :smile:
Original post by VeniVidiViciZico
Hi, I just got my AS-Level Results and they are really bad: U,E,E,D. My college said I can continue next year because my tutors said it doesn't reflect what I have done this year.. However, I feel really bad. Should I get a re-examination or just leave it as I have been accepted into second year?

They don't count so honestly I'd leave it. By all means ask for a test in October time once you have managed to get your grades up, but I wouldn't do one as soon as you get back unless you've been working over the summer.
@Lemur14 or anyone else. Do you know how to find out your raw mark for AS exams? My results sheet only shows my grade and that's it.
Original post by rikkiardo
@Lemur14 or anyone else. Do you know how to find out your raw mark for AS exams? My results sheet only shows my grade and that's it.

You have to ask your exams officer for them :smile:
Hi, a bit of a backstory here:

I study in an international school in Portugal that follows the UK curriculum, and recently I got my AS results. It was terrible so to speak, and I was wondering what I can do to fix it.

First of all, does it even count towards my A levels? I have been reading a lot of mixed responses here. To clarify, I'm doing edexcel and cambridge exam boards, and for edexcel I'm doing economics/business studies, for cambridge I'm doing sociology/travel and tourism. At the start of the year my school handed out a syllabus that listed the percentages for each unit and its exam I'm guessing. Does that mean my grades are going to be modular instead of linear? FYI, my firm university, which is University of Sussex, claims that they don't care about AS levels and they only care about your final A level grades, but they didn't say anything about prediction grades which I assume is affected by my AS results.

Second of all, if it is somehow linear, should I retake the exam or leave it behind and convince my teacher that it was an anomaly that I underperformed and whether they can give me higher prediction grades for university?

Thanks!! I got a C in business studies and an U in economics and I'm really distraught hence asking this here
Original post by EtherealT
Hi, a bit of a backstory here:

I study in an international school in Portugal that follows the UK curriculum, and recently I got my AS results. It was terrible so to speak, and I was wondering what I can do to fix it.

First of all, does it even count towards my A levels? I have been reading a lot of mixed responses here. To clarify, I'm doing edexcel and cambridge exam boards, and for edexcel I'm doing economics/business studies, for cambridge I'm doing sociology/travel and tourism. At the start of the year my school handed out a syllabus that listed the percentages for each unit and its exam I'm guessing. Does that mean my grades are going to be modular instead of linear? FYI, my firm university, which is University of Sussex, claims that they don't care about AS levels and they only care about your final A level grades, but they didn't say anything about prediction grades which I assume is affected by my AS results.

Second of all, if it is somehow linear, should I retake the exam or leave it behind and convince my teacher that it was an anomaly that I underperformed and whether they can give me higher prediction grades for university?

Thanks!! I got a C in business studies and an U in economics and I'm really distraught hence asking this here

Right so first linear/modular.
The Cambridge ones will definitely be modular, the Edexcel ones it depends if it's IAL or not. Since you're in Portugal it would be extremely likely it's IAL in which case it's modular.
Sussex saying they don't care about AS levels will be talking about the linear ones I suspect, or if not then either way it's gonna be difficult to achieve highly at A level without a good AS grade.
Since it's modular to get a good grade you're realistically gonna have to retake a module or two for economics but business may well be okay, it's best to talk to your teachers about the realisticness of doing achieving what you want without retaking any exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest