The Student Room Group

University help please nowwwwww

Basically, I just retook two of my a levels.
I did mathematics and Chemistry again, I went from D and a B to Double A ( almost two A*s).
I am really happy with it, I worked so bloody hard for this.
I fulfilled the obligations for my firm choice which is Queen Marys and Southampton which was my backup.
Queen Marys and Southampton haven't updated my UCAS.
I kinda want to go to Kings now, I am still unsure about the degree I want to do- I put down business and management.
I am unsure about Kings and their grade requirements and whether they will accept a retaker.
So should I call them up and see what they say even though Queen Marys haven't updated my application.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you've exceeded the conditions of your firm offer, you can register for Adjustment without losing your existing offers. I don't know if Kings participates in Adjustment, but it's worth a look!
UCAS have an adjustment system that might help you out? It's basically for if you reach/succeed your offer and want to change it a little but I think you can use it to change uni too. I'd have a little read on there see if you think it fits.
Original post by massived
I did mathematics and Chemistry again, I went from D and a B to Double A ( almost two A*s).
I fulfilled the obligations for my firm choice which is Queen Marys and Southampton which was my backup.
I kinda want to go to Kings now, I am still unsure about the degree I want to do- I put down business and management.
I am unsure about Kings and their grade requirements and whether they will accept a retaker.
So should I call them up and see what they say even though Queen Marys haven't updated my application.

What was your offer for Queen Marys? If you got higher you could go through adjustment to another Uni e.g Kings. However if you're still unsure on what you want to do, then taking a year out to decide and reapply with your grades might be the best chance for getting on the right course and to the right uni for you rather than rushing! :smile:
Think about things really carefully. If you really do want to go to Kings, I would contact them as soon as possible to see whether they would give you a place. You also mention that you want to change your course?

As for Queen Mary - it might be that they haven't updated yet and will soon.
Reply 5
Original post by cheesecakelove
Think about things really carefully. If you really do want to go to Kings, I would contact them as soon as possible to see whether they would give you a place. You also mention that you want to change your course?

As for Queen Mary - it might be that they haven't updated yet and will soon.

Ahh kk thanks for your help cheesecakelove.

I'm surprised that if you met/exceeded their offer that they haven't updated. If you want to go to Kings (and it's available in Clearing), you will need to ask your uni to place you into Clearing. Or you could ring them up and find out why they haven't updated your Track yet (but check it now, as it was frozen until midday)
Reply 7
Original post by Interrobang
I'm surprised that if you met/exceeded their offer that they haven't updated. If you want to go to Kings (and it's available in Clearing), you will need to ask your uni to place you into Clearing. Or you could ring them up and find out why they haven't updated your Track yet (but check it now, as it was frozen until midday)

Yeah I know i was so scared at the start, I didn't check out my results because I wanted to see if I was accepted.
So I went and I got 2 As. And I thought, wow, i am fricking close to an A star in both too. Maybe i can try for somewhere like kings. It's super close to my house.
Reply 8
Original post by SomMC1
I suspect you met and exceeded your offer from Queen Mary. That way you can go into adjustment without fear of losing your firm and insurance offers.

However, if you look at what Kings says, they say that strong adjustment candidates have A*A*A or 776 35 at IB. You only have AA and whatever else so i doubt they'd give you a place although it is worth the shot - you cant lose anything trying.

Just dont go into clearing bc then youre screwed royally.

Dont sweat Kings too much - be thankful you got Queen mary even though you retook two subjects from terrible grades in Queen's eyes.

Here's what happened, I got an A in biology, a B in chemistry and a D in maths. ( I was sick during the last week of exams but I still ended up doing the exams- it was those papers where I messed up badly).
I retook chemistry and maths, I got double A this year.
I have 7 A*s and 4 As in GCSES.
Is it enough to get into kings? It's just that kings is just a stone's throw away from me.

Just to let you know, you posted the same thread twice, so I've just removed the more recent one so you can keep this one with all the replies on here :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Just to let you know, you posted the same thread twice, so I've just removed the more recent one so you can keep this one with all the replies on here :smile:

Sorry about that, mb. :smile:
Here's what happened, I got an A in biology, a B in chemistry and a D in maths. ( I was sick during the last week of exams but I still ended up doing the exams- it was those papers where I messed up badly).
Is it enough to get into kings? It's just that kings is just a stone's throw away from me.

The only way to know is for you to apply through Clearing (if your course is available). However, if you exceeded your firm offer, you could try Adjustment?

Youre GCSE are very good. AAA is very high too. You have Queen Mary.

Go to adjustment and phone up Kings. They usually see 'superb adjustment students' with A*A*A but your AAA is very good too. Maybe you'll get lucky. Definitely true it! UCL has some biology science courses in clearing too so check those out!
Reply 13
Original post by SomMC1
Youre GCSE are very good. AAA is very high too. You have Queen Mary.

Go to adjustment and phone up Kings. They usually see 'superb adjustment students' with A*A*A but your AAA is very good too. Maybe you'll get lucky. Definitely true it! UCL has some biology science courses in clearing too so check those out!

Thank you for your advice, I am gonna try my luck. The problem is Queen Marys haven't updated my Track, it's annoying as hell.
Thank you for your advice, I am gonna try my luck. The problem is Queen Marys haven't updated my Track, it's annoying as hell.

What was the requirement for Queens?

It doesnt matter. Some take longer than others.

do this:
1) call Queen mary and ask if you got in - they should say yes or no
2) regardless what they say (altho they will say yes), all Kings and ask about the course.

Good luck
Reply 15
Original post by SomMC1
What was the requirement for Queens?

It doesnt matter. Some take longer than others.

do this:
1) call Queen mary and ask if you got in - they should say yes or no
2) regardless what they say (altho they will say yes), all Kings and ask about the course.

Good luck

Queen Marys wanted 2 as, Southampton wanted A B.
Queen Marys is the firm choice.
Thanks yr advice, I was super panicky earlier but this thread has calmed me down and helped me. Thank you.
Queen Marys wanted 2 as, Southampton wanted A B.
Queen Marys is the firm choice.
Thanks yr advice, I was super panicky earlier but this thread has calmed me down and helped me. Thank you.

Yup, so with full guarantee, you got into Queen Mary - just phone them up to confirm it.
And then you can always try your luck at King's!

Good luck and Im glad you arent as panicky anymore.

Youve done very well. You got AAA now. You are in Queen mary. Youre fighting for King's and even if you lose that fight, you are still guaranteed Queen Mary. Be proud
Reply 17
Original post by SomMC1
Yup, so with full guarantee, you got into Queen Mary - just phone them up to confirm it.
And then you can always try your luck at King's!

Good luck and Im glad you arent as panicky anymore.

Youve done very well. You got AAA now. You are in Queen mary. Youre fighting for King's and even if you lose that fight, you are still guaranteed Queen Mary. Be proud

Thank You, I put my blood, sweat and tears into retaking those 2. I nearly started crying at the exam office, I never imagined going from a D to an almost A star. Queen Marys is a great Uni too, I have no problems going there, I just would prefer to go to Kings, but I am happy with sticking with Queen Marys
Thank You, I put my blood, sweat and tears into retaking those 2. I nearly started crying at the exam office, I never imagined going from a D to an almost A star. Queen Marys is a great Uni too, I have no problems going there, I just would prefer to go to Kings, but I am happy with sticking with Queen Marys

Thats a pity bc if you did get A*AA then kings would be more lenient but AAA is great too
Reply 19
Original post by SomMC1
Thats a pity bc if you did get A*AA then kings would be more lenient but AAA is great too

Queen Marys aren't picking up my call, been waiting for 22 minutes, then a voice over saying they cannot take my call.
This is insanity xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending