The Student Room Group

what shall i do :(((

I got ACC for my A Level and got offered a place at Nottingham Trent that i don't even want to go as i dont like their modules. The russell group Unis that I do wanna go such as University of Leeds/ Manchester and so on wont even speak to me on the clearing hotline as i dont meet the entry requirements or they dont have space. One guy said to me "law isnt happening today, give up." Someone said keep calling the unis but they will just keep rejecting me? Should i resit the two exams i got a C in or just settle with Trent. I dont think its possible to transfer either into law schools cause theyre so elite. This is literally the worst day of my life :'(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Safiyaxo
I got ACC for my A Level and got offered a place at Nottingham Trent that i don't even want to go as i dont like their modules. The russell group Unis that I do wanna go such as University of Leeds/ Manchester and so on wont even speak to me on the clearing hotline as i dont meet the entry requirements or they dont have space. One guy said to me "law isnt happening today, give up." Someone said keep calling the unis but they will just keep rejecting me? Should i resit the two exams i got a C in or just settle with Trent. I dont think its possible to transfer either into law schools cause theyre so elite. This is literally the worst day of my life :'(

Unlucky. Settle with Nottingham Trent.
Reply 2
Original post by BusinessExpert
Unlucky. Settle with Nottingham Trent.

Why is everyone so blunt on this thing.

Don't feel too disheartened! Keep your chin up I am sure you will sort everything out.

Call our Clearing hotline on 0800 0483 334 to speak with one of our advisers they’ll be able to help you: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/clearing/contact-us/

Emily- student ambassador
Nottingham trent isnt so bad, i go to Nottingham University, but you wouldnt be able to study there with those results either.

If you have any questions about Nottingham life, (very fun!) Let me know.
Original post by werity
because you're being ungrateful. you got them grades and didn't meet the offers. stop acting like it's the uni's fault. pathetic.

The other option is to resit and obviously OP is distraught and upset with the news that s/he didnt meet the offer. So a little compassion is not too much to ask for, or otherwise you can **** off. Your bluntness and rudeness is the last thing s/he needs. Thanks
Why is everyone so blunt on this thing.

It’s the reality. You wanted a response and I gave you one.

Make a decision and get on with it.
Reply 7
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Nottingham trent isnt so bad, i go to Nottingham University, but you wouldnt be able to study there with those results either.

If you have any questions about Nottingham life, (very fun!) Let me know.

Thank you! Ive only visited twice but if I do go I intend to stay there, what's it like?
Hey,

So sorry to hear this, A-Levels are rough but you're on the other side of it!

We have a few Law courses on clearing, our page is https://www.hud.ac.uk/clearing/courses/ and I recommend taking a look and seeing if anything catches your eye, you never know what you might find.

If you'd like to chat, our clearing line number is 0330 123 2277 and I'm sure one of our team would be happy to help.

Last thing, take a breath and look back at what you have achieved - it may not have been what you anticipated but you still did that and you should still be so proud of yourself! This will work itself out, you're in the eye of the storm right now but when you look back, I hope you appreciate what you've done and how far you've come!

Abbi

Student Rep: University of Huddersfield
Reply 9
Original post by SomMC1
The other option is to resit and obviously OP is distraught and upset with the news that s/he didnt meet the offer. So a little compassion is not too much to ask for, or otherwise you can **** off. Your bluntness and rudeness is the last thing s/he needs. Thanks

God damn thank you! Has the nerve to call me pathetic. I'm trying to get my college to let me resit if not I'll have to see what happens
Reply 10
Law is an extremely competitive subject. Its the nature of the business.

I would check with all of the Universities that you are interested in before you even consider re-taking your A-Levels. Some Universities will not accept re-sit results, so, it may all be for nothing.

You could re-asses your options after this cycle, you could take the offer that you have.. ultimately, you have to ask yourself... what do you really want?

This may sound a little silly... if you didn't want to go to Trent, why did you even apply?
Thank you! Ive only visited twice but if I do go I intend to stay there, what's it like?

The amazing nightlife and low cost of living are definitely pros, notts is a small place with big city amentities!

Almost all the lawyers in Nottingham crown court went to Trent, something ive noticed watching the news!

May not be a RG but its definitely a university on the UP, you can always get a fancy law masters later!
God damn thank you! Has the nerve to call me pathetic. I'm trying to get my college to let me resit if not I'll have to see what happens

Huddersfield Uni says they might have something^above.
But yes, resitting might be the best case for you, if you believe that you could get higher than Cs, which you obviously can bc you got an A.

What were your predictions btw?

I also got ACC however luckily the uni I applied to Sussex has the option of doing a foundation year in social sciences after which you can start your law degree there
Sussex isn't Russell Group but it is a good and respectable uni
I've linked the course below - they might still have some places
https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation-years/social-sciences-with-a-foundation-year-ba/2018
Reply 14

If i was in your shoes, i would defo resit the exams and take a year out, it might seem really long but a year out and just focusing on a few exams whilst prehaps working or other stuff can be a good idea. Resitting and ending up at a good russel group is much better imo than just going trent, trent is pretty bad compared to manchester/leeds etc
Reply 15
If it wasn't for you, why did you pick it as your conditional?
Original post by SomMC1
Yes, but is she chose to resit then she has a more than realistic shot at RG unis. Clearly she has potential as getting an A is not fun either. Oxbridge is out the window but there are other good RG which would accept a retake as well.

You're absolutely correct. Resitting gives you a chance of getting higher grades and thus, giving you a better chance of going to a RG uni. However there are plenty of fantastic non-RG unis out there capable of providing a stellar university experience. What's the motive for going to a Russell Group Uni? That's what i'm trying to understand...
Reply 17
Original post by IWBTBEB
If i was in your shoes, i would defo resit the exams and take a year out, it might seem really long but a year out and just focusing on a few exams whilst prehaps working or other stuff can be a good idea. Resitting and ending up at a good russel group is much better imo than just going trent, trent is pretty bad compared to manchester/leeds etc

That is the option. I was going to work whilst retaking and give my all but my college isn't allowing external students this year so alternatively I need to find a centre who will deal with my coursework aswell, thank you x
Can support what others are saying, Nottingham Trent is good.

That said, this is a buyers market for people looking for uni places. You shouldn't feel pressured into something you don't want to do. A lot of options out there if you look around.

Original post by Killerpenguin15
You're absolutely correct. Resitting gives you a chance of getting higher grades and thus, giving you a better chance of going to a RG uni. However there are plenty of fantastic non-RG unis out there capable of providing a stellar university experience. What's the motive for going to a Russell Group Uni? That's what i'm trying to understand...

Agreed +1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending