The Student Room Group

I haven't applied for uni yet as I was going to take a gap year

Is it too late to apply? I already have my grades? Do I have to make a UCAS application or can I just call them on results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 3mmz
Is it too late to apply? I already have my grades? Do I have to make a UCAS application or can I just call them on results day?

You'll need to apply through Clearing now.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing
Reply 2
Original post by 3mmz

Applying now via Clearing is perfectly doable. Although you might have a challenge to get your PS and a referee* together in time.

*You can theoretically apply without a referee but check first with any potential universities as they might reject your application outright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Call the clearing hotline of universities first. They normally make verbal offers and then tell you to create UCAS accounts. That's what King's College did for me, and they did not require a reference btw. Call them up asap though, you don't want to be caught up in the clearing traffic. Good LUCK :smile:
Original post by Boss987
Call the clearing hotline of universities first. They normally make verbal offers and then tell you to create UCAS accounts. That's what King's College did for me, and they did not require a reference btw. Call them up asap though, you don't want to be caught up in the clearing traffic. Good LUCK :smile:

They're not meant to do this. It's impossible for the university to see your UCAS application without a Clearing number.
Original post by Blue_Cow
They're not meant to do this. It's impossible for the university to see your UCAS application without a Clearing number.

Sorry. They first told me to email all my qualifications to date and replied saying they could consider an application, and to call this number. That's when they made a verbal offer over the phone and told me to create a UCAS application and refer myself.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PetrolHead26
Sorry. They first told me to email all my qualifications to date and replied saying they could consider an application, and to call this number. That's when they made a verbal offer over the phone and told me to create a UCAS application and refer myself.

Okay

I am going to call my old sixth form tomorrow and see if they can get my reference. Apparently its on file and they just need to copy and paste it.
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Applying now via Clearing is perfectly doable. Although you might have a challenge to get your PS and a referee* together in time.

*You can theoretically apply without a referee but check first with any potential universities as they might reject your application outright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a PS actually. Just need to make a few slight changes.

Just need to get that reference. Hopefully my old sixth form don't get too tough
Reply 8
Original post by 3mmz
I have a PS actually. Just need to make a few slight changes.

Just need to get that reference. Hopefully my old sixth form don't get too tough

That's good. Probably best to contact your sixth form asap and see if they can get your reference sorted.

Have you seen any courses/universities you like in clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
That's good. Probably best to contact your sixth form asap and see if they can get your reference sorted.

Have you seen any courses/universities you like in clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to study law

I am looking at maybe SOAS but it depends on what grades they want
I also heard the university of law in London isn't bad but since its a small uni and only does law I am thinking the name of the uni isn't well known and that may go against me in the future....
Reply 10
Original post by 3mmz
I would like to study law

I am looking at maybe SOAS but it depends on what grades they want
I also heard the university of law in London isn't bad but since its a small uni and only does law I am thinking the name of the uni isn't well known and that may go against me in the future....

You should post a thread in the Law forum, and the experts in there will give you some thoughts on Clearing universities. :yep:
Reply 11

When you apply do you need to obtain a reference? Or do you go straight into clearing?
Reply 12
Original post by PetrolHead26

When you created a UCAS application did you have to get a reference from your old school or was that not required?
I am doing my application now as I have received a verbal offer from a uni. They told me to create a ucas application.
Original post by 3mmz
When you apply do you need to obtain a reference? Or do you go straight into clearing?

They might be willing to take you without a reference - you'll be put straight into Clearing anyway as soon as you finish your application.
Reply 14
They might be willing to take you without a reference - you'll be put straight into Clearing anyway as soon as you finish your application.

Once you finish your application doesn't your old sixth form have to attach a reference and then send your application off?

The uni I spoke to says I don't need a reference....
Original post by 3mmz
Once you finish your application doesn't your old sixth form have to attach a reference and then send your application off?

The uni I spoke to says I don't need a reference....

If you're not applying with a centre mnemonic then it should go straight to UCAS.
Reply 16
If you're not applying with a centre mnemonic then it should go straight to UCAS.

I am applying through a centre since I entered in the buzzword.

Should I start the application again and do an individual one so that it won't mean I need to get a reference? Or will there be two applications on file if I do that and its better to continue with what I am doing?
Original post by 3mmz
I am applying through a centre since I entered in the buzzword.

Should I start the application again and do an individual one so that it won't mean I need to get a reference? Or will there be two applications on file if I do that and its better to continue with what I am doing?

I suggest you call up UCAS in that case and explain the situation. Starting to get a bit technical.
Reply 18
I suggest you call up UCAS in that case and explain the situation. Starting to get a bit technical.

I think someone on TSR surely will know that if you make a late application through ucas will you straight into clearing or do you need to get a reference first.
But I will call them>`/
Original post by 3mmz
I think someone on TSR surely will know that if you make a late application through ucas will you straight into clearing or do you need to get a reference first.
But I will call them>`/

The thing is if you've put in a buzzword when you're starting an application this late and I find it odd. I'm hesitant to tell you to go ahead and submit the application as is because the UCAS coordinator at your school might not be around to submit the application for you regardless of the need for a reference. (i.e. the final stage before it gets sent to the uni).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending