The Student Room Group

I failed my As exams. What to do next?

Hello!

Today I got my As results and I failed both chemistry and physics. I am now left with 2 A-Levels which are geography and mathematics. The Head of Sixth Form gave me two options:
1. Continue into Year 13 with Geography and Mathematics but I have to sacrifice physics for BTEC Level 3 IT
2. Repeat Year 12 with Mathematics, Geography and Physics.

Which option would you pick personally and why? The thing is I don't want to repeat Year 12 again because I will look like a loser to the new Year 12s and it will look weird to see my friends being in Year 13. I want to study Mechanical Engineering/ Civil Engineering and here is a question. Can I still get into a good Uni (Top Third/Russel Group) with this BTEC IT if I do well with all these three subjects? (Maths, Geo and IT)? Let's say I will get A in mathematics, A* in Geo and D*D*D* in IT? What do you think? I need some recommendations ASAP as all I can think of now is literally considering how much of a failure I am. Cheers

Scroll to see replies

mate id go for yr 12, its not about looking like a loser and what other people think, its about what YOU think because its YOUR future, i mean do what you wanna do but at the end of the day make the decision for yourself, not based on others opinions
The thing is my parents are pressurising me into carrying on into Year 13 because they say that additional year in school is a bit of a nonsense
Can you not move to a different sixth form that offers the subjects you want? That way you could carry on your A2 and just repeat one AS
i can see what your worries are but if you really want to get the grades AND be able to do physics then just resit and use the second opportunity wisely. think about it: this time around you failed but if you resit and pass with flying colours you can show your parents you made the right choice and made big improvements instead of having to move on and do a btec you might not want to do
Original post by Racheel897
Can you not move to a different sixth form that offers the subjects you want? That way you could carry on your A2 and just repeat one AS

I asked my head of sixth form about carrying on with 2 a levels and retake physics and he said it isn't possible because in year 13 I will only have 2 qualifications and I will have to go to year 14 to do a level physics and as I would be studying only one subject in year 14 it wouldn't make me a full time student
Original post by NewHolland21
I asked my head of sixth form about carrying on with 2 a levels and retake physics and he said it isn't possible because in year 13 I will only have 2 qualifications and I will have to go to year 14 to do a level physics and as I would be studying only one subject in year 14 it wouldn't make me a full time student

Ah no, I meant go to a completely different sixth form. Switch schools.

Would your year head not let you continue with physics A2 but along with it do the AS? So like the entire Alevel physics course in 1 year, if you're up for it
Original post by hunfilm
i can see what your worries are but if you really want to get the grades AND be able to do physics then just resit and use the second opportunity wisely. think about it: this time around you failed but if you resit and pass with flying colours you can show your parents you made the right choice and made big improvements instead of having to move on and do a btec you might not want to do

I am 50/50 about retaking Year 12. I want to see what courses and unis I can get into with that Maths, Geo and IT first. If nothing interests me I will retake Year 12. Do you know any good websites that show what courses and unis I can do with my qualifications? I am using UniFrog but when I put my qualifications (2 a levels and 1 level 3 btec) the requirements only pop up with a levels as shown here: https://imgur.com/a/vDhBX5u
Ah no, I meant go to a completely different sixth form. Switch schools.

Would your year head not let you continue with physics A2 but along with it do the AS? So like the entire Alevel physics course in 1 year, if you're up for it

I asked him if I could still carry on and show him that even though I failed I can still do it. I told him that he could test me after 2 weeks from the start of year 13 on the topics from year 12 and year 13 that we did so far to give me a chance but he said it is too risky. Fun fact: he said I was doing much better in class than some of the people who passed physics...
I asked him if I could still carry on and show him that even though I failed I can still do it. I told him that he could test me after 2 weeks from the start of year 13 on the topics from year 12 and year 13 that we did so far to give me a chance but he said it is too risky. Fun fact: he said I was doing much better in class than some of the people who passed physics...

Ahhh at the end of the day its the students choice what they wanna do. The fact he realises youre better than the rest of the class has to mean something? It doesnt seem fair at all.
Reply 10
Repeat year 12 you have a far better chance of doing really well this way. Good luck !
Ahhh at the end of the day its the students choice what they wanna do. The fact he realises youre better than the rest of the class has to mean something? It doesnt seem fair at all.

True, just because I did bad on the exam doesn't reflect the whole year of studying. I was expecting to get C or B because when I was doing the paper I "knew" what to write etc; I felt confident. Also at the end of the year I was almost as good as the top student in the class. I was "outperforming" many people in terms of work and improvement. I seriously don't know what to do, my mum is coming home soon and I am scared to have any conversation with her. I disappointed everyone and that hurts the most. I am thinking of calling up a new opened sixth form and I can always ask them if there would be a possibility of me doing physics as A-Level in year 13 (they could test me to check if I am good enough) so I could move away from my school and not have to repeat Year 12. I am seriously confused and I don't know which route shall I go... I am too stressed to think of anything plus I don't have much time as summer is ending very soon...
Original post by H.a.hx
Repeat year 12 you have a far better chance of doing really well this way. Good luck !

Cheers! I am considering retaking but my parents are more likely against it :/
I failed maths at As and just dropped the option all together, i scraped through on all my other courses and got accepted to do a foundation year at leicester uni for physics. Ye it wasted a year and 9 grand but now I'm going into third year with a 90% average score on my exams :smile: If i were you id drop chemistry, and stick to physics (do resits) and try your best. You could always do a foundation year at uni too! its easy and theres less pressure than regular 1st year at uni, I pretty much party'd for my first 2 years at uni xD not many people get that chance with STEM degree's, it gets very intense.. but thats what id do anyway, chemistry is shiteeee
Reply 14
Cheers! I am considering retaking but my parents are more likely against it :/

I understand but in the long run this will be the best for you. it will help you to do well when going into A2. Regardless I wish you the best of luck.
True, just because I did bad on the exam doesn't reflect the whole year of studying. I was expecting to get C or B because when I was doing the paper I "knew" what to write etc; I felt confident. Also at the end of the year I was almost as good as the top student in the class. I was "outperforming" many people in terms of work and improvement. I seriously don't know what to do, my mum is coming home soon and I am scared to have any conversation with her. I disappointed everyone and that hurts the most. I am thinking of calling up a new opened sixth form and I can always ask them if there would be a possibility of me doing physics as A-Level in year 13 (they could test me to check if I am good enough) so I could move away from my school and not have to repeat Year 12. I am seriously confused and I don't know which route shall I go... I am too stressed to think of anything plus I don't have much time as summer is ending very soon...

Im quite in the same boat as you, except my physics is chemistry😋 what im going to do is ask the teacher whether i can drop an AS subject which i passed and keep on my chemistry and retake it. If that doesnt work, im moving to a different sixth form to do exactly as described, as I know they will let me do that.

Yeah, the disappointment is there, but focus instead on improving. Congratulations in passing the other 2 btw!
Original post by colin223366
I failed maths at As and just dropped the option all together, i scraped through on all my other courses and got accepted to do a foundation year at leicester uni for physics. Ye it wasted a year and 9 grand but now I'm going into third year with a 90% average score on my exams :smile: If i were you id drop chemistry, and stick to physics (do resits) and try your best. You could always do a foundation year at uni too! its easy and theres less pressure than regular 1st year at uni, I pretty much party'd for my first 2 years at uni xD not many people get that chance with STEM degree's, it gets very intense.. but thats what id do anyway, chemistry is shiteeee

I was also considering that foundation year at uni but as you mentioned before; one more year and 9grand on top of that. By the way I don't do chemistry XD
Im quite in the same boat as you, except my physics is chemistry😋 what im going to do is ask the teacher whether i can drop an AS subject which i passed and keep on my chemistry and retake it. If that doesnt work, im moving to a different sixth form to do exactly as described, as I know they will let me do that.

Yeah, the disappointment is there, but focus instead on improving. Congratulations in passing the other 2 btw!

Thanks and you too congrats for passing other subjects! I don't know if the sixth form next to me (Harris Academy) would allow me to do Year 13 but it is always worth a shot to give them a call. Again I am scared of rejection from that sixth form because of failed physics :/
Hello!

Today I got my As results and I failed both chemistry and physics. I am now left with 2 A-Levels which are geography and mathematics. The Head of Sixth Form gave me two options:
1. Continue into Year 13 with Geography and Mathematics but I have to sacrifice physics for BTEC Level 3 IT
2. Repeat Year 12 with Mathematics, Geography and Physics.

Which option would you pick personally and why? The thing is I don't want to repeat Year 12 again because I will look like a loser to the new Year 12s and it will look weird to see my friends being in Year 13. I want to study Mechanical Engineering/ Civil Engineering and here is a question. Can I still get into a good Uni (Top Third/Russel Group) with this BTEC IT if I do well with all these three subjects? (Maths, Geo and IT)? Let's say I will get A in mathematics, A* in Geo and D*D*D* in IT? What do you think? I need some recommendations ASAP as all I can think of now is literally considering how much of a failure I am. Cheers

doing year 12 if far better than doing a btec course... i would repeat yr 12 who cares what others think. you have already been through it so there's no excuse not to do better. it wipl be frustrating but that's life..
Thanks and you too congrats for passing other subjects! I don't know if the sixth form next to me (Harris Academy) would allow me to do Year 13 but it is always worth a shot to give them a call. Again I am scared of rejection from that sixth form because of failed physics :/

You never know until you try! But at least its AS you still have a full year to turn it around :smile: and thank you haha

Quick Reply

Latest