The Student Room Group

Economics application

Hi, I am a year 12 student applying to KCL Cambridge UCL and york. I was predicted A*A*A*B for my A2 grades. But I decided to take one of my exams earlier and got 95% for AS and a 78%B for A2. Right now grades are A*A*BB with an EPQ predicted A. My personal statement and references are good but these grades are letting me down.

Since I am applying for 2019 entry, is it possible for me to put down the existing B on UCAS and try and resit? If that is possible, can I resit next year but have a new predicted grade for the application to Cambridge.

Sincerely
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Also, what can I do to improve my current status? I have been trying to do other activities such as self-learning FM (finished core and stats and some decision) and tons of super curricular activities, I am going to practice ECAA soon,................
Reply 2
Hi, I am a year 12 student applying to KCL Cambridge UCL and york. I was predicted A*A*A*B for my A2 grades. But I decided to take one of my exams earlier and got 95% for AS and a 78%B for A2. Right now grades are A*A*BB with an EPQ predicted A. My personal statement and references are good but these grades are letting me down.

Since I am applying for 2019 entry, is it possible for me to put down the existing B on UCAS and try and resit? If that is possible, can I resit next year but have a new predicted grade for the application to Cambridge.

Sincerely
Original post by JackFu

Sincerely

Yes you can - although look at their FAQs here related to resits and taking exams early. I'll also move this to the Cambridge forum :smile:
Yes you can do that, but be aware that some universities have policies surrounding resits. You may be okay since sometimes they specify that the whole level must have been achieved within two years, which you still will have done, but it may be worth looking on websites/contacting admissions to see how each uni views resits. Best of luck for your application :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Yes you can do that, but be aware that some universities have policies surrounding resits. You may be okay since sometimes they specify that the whole level must have been achieved within two years, which you still will have done, but it may be worth looking on websites/contacting admissions to see how each uni views resits. Best of luck for your application :smile:

Thank you, I think the two As modules (out of three including A2) went well, it was 100% and 95% respectively. I am not too sure what happened to the third one but I have enquired about the script. I think economics at Cambridge is super competitive but a quote from their website suggests that retaking one module is still ok and won't significantly affect the application. Here is the passage from Cambridge:

What's the University's position on exam resits?
While it’s becoming less common to be able to resit exams, should the opportunity be available your application is unlikely to be adversely affected by your resitting one or two modules we appreciate that even very capable students may have a ‘bad day’ when an exam doesn’t go quite to plan.
However, there would be concern about your potential to be successful at Cambridge if you needed to resit numerous exams, particularly if only a marginal improvement could be achieved. This is because once at the University, students are regularly assessed by exam and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine).
You should state your intention to resit any exams in your SAQ. Where there are particular reasons for underperformance in qualifications it’s useful if these can be outlined in the school/college reference. In some cases, it may be appropriate for your school/college referee to complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form.
Original post by JackFu
Thank you, I think the two As modules (out of three including A2) went well, it was 100% and 95% respectively. I am not too sure what happened to the third one but I have enquired about the script. I think economics at Cambridge is super competitive but a quote from their website suggests that retaking one module is still ok and won't significantly affect the application. Here is the passage from Cambridge:

What's the University's position on exam resits?
While it’s becoming less common to be able to resit exams, should the opportunity be available your application is unlikely to be adversely affected by your resitting one or two modules we appreciate that even very capable students may have a ‘bad day’ when an exam doesn’t go quite to plan.
However, there would be concern about your potential to be successful at Cambridge if you needed to resit numerous exams, particularly if only a marginal improvement could be achieved. This is because once at the University, students are regularly assessed by exam and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine).
You should state your intention to resit any exams in your SAQ. Where there are particular reasons for underperformance in qualifications it’s useful if these can be outlined in the school/college reference. In some cases, it may be appropriate for your school/college referee to complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form.

That sounds promising in that case :smile:
Reply 7
That sounds promising in that case :smile:

I understand that A*A*BBA(EPQ) is unlikely to be considered as a competitive application, but since my personal statement and reference are quite good and I have a lot of super-curricular activities (including self-learning further maths), do you have any other suggestions that could potentially boost my application a little bit?
Original post by JackFu
I understand that A*A*BBA(EPQ) is unlikely to be considered as a competitive application, but since my personal statement and reference are quite good and I have a lot of super-curricular activities (including self-learning further maths), do you have any other suggestions that could potentially boost my application a little bit?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, will you not be applying with your predicted grades (including the pending resit), making your application A*A*AB + the EPQ? Since you're hoping to bring one of the Bs up?

What courses are you planning on applying for? Economics everywhere or a mix of similar courses? If it's something vocational then I would suggest arranging some work experience if you haven't got any already. If it's a more general subject then I would suggest reading some books related to your area of interest. :smile:
Reply 9
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, will you not be applying with your predicted grades (including the pending resit), making your application A*A*AB + the EPQ? Since you're hoping to bring one of the Bs up?

What courses are you planning on applying for? Economics everywhere or a mix of similar courses? If it's something vocational then I would suggest arranging some work experience if you haven't got any already. If it's a more general subject then I would suggest reading some books related to your area of interest. :smile:

Yes, I will be applying with my predicted grades which is A star Math and Economics and B in Spanish. However my fourth A level was supposed to be an A star but turned out to be a B so the stabdard A star A star A isnt likely unless the resit goes well. The EPQ is predicted as an A but that is not A level grade.

I am applying for pure econonics at Cambridge and Warwick Kcl etc. They are just three year courses.
Original post by JackFu
Yes, I will be applying with my predicted grades which is A star Math and Economics and B in Spanish. However my fourth A level was supposed to be an A star but turned out to be a B so the stabdard A star A star A isnt likely unless the resit goes well. The EPQ is predicted as an A but that is not A level grade.

I am applying for pure econonics at Cambridge and Warwick Kcl etc. They are just three year courses.

That's what I mean, you're allowed to apply with the predicted outcome of your resit rather than the grade that you currently have in it. So if you hope to bump the B that you currently have up to an A, then you can include the A in your predicted grades.
Reply 11
That's what I mean, you're allowed to apply with the predicted outcome of your resit rather than the grade that you currently have in it. So if you hope to bump the B that you currently have up to an A, then you can include the A in your predicted grades.

Oh sorry for the misinterpretation, today hasnt been the best day. I think if I get the paper back and anaylse my mistakes carefully, hopefully the resit prediction will be an A star. Thanks
Original post by JackFu
Oh sorry for the misinterpretation, today hasnt been the best day. I think if I get the paper back and anaylse my mistakes carefully, hopefully the resit prediction will be an A star. Thanks

No need to apologise, that's perfectly understandable :smile: If that's the case then your predicted grades will be A*A*A*B + your EPQ, which should surely make you a very strong candidate for anything. I hope it goes well for you :h: Best of luck for your resit as well :smile:
Reply 13
No need to apologise, that's perfectly understandable :smile: If that's the case then your predicted grades will be A*A*A*B + your EPQ, which should surely make you a very strong candidate for anything. I hope it goes well for you :h: Best of luck for your resit as well :smile:

Thank you for your help :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by JackFu

Sincerely

You have to declare the grades achieved. If you are resitting you also mention that, and your referee would put the predicted grade. Which subject did you take early? And which subjects are you studying and their predictions.

Are doing CIE?

PS. I've merged your threads.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Doonesbury
You have to declare the grades achieved. If you are resitting you also mention that, and your referee would put the predicted grade. Which subject did you take early? And which subjects are you studying and their predictions.

Are doing CIE?

PS. I've merged your threads.

Hi sir. I took my fourth A level and As Chinese earlier because I thought it was going to be an A star. But somehow that didnt work out.

Current status math Econimics A star. Spanisb Chinese B.
Reply 16
edxcel is the exam board and in terms of further math, I have been studying it myself nd is nearly finished

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending