The Student Room Group

Grades BDE wanting to study physics...

Hi, I'm a 20 year old who took a gap year after his A-levels (Biggest mistake of my life personally). I want to study physics as it's a subject I'm genuinely interested in and I know I'd regret not even trying to study.

Last year I had the option of going Foundation Year at QMUL or Normal first year start at University of Kent. This year QMUL won't consider me because I haven't achieved the minimum academic requirement of a C in physics. My grades being Maths - B , Physics - D , Psychology -E , and 3 AS's (DDE).

I'm not sure exactly what to do right now, as I have been unsure about a lot of stuff. Not sure if moving from London is the best option and just starting the year at any uni that does a physics course (I'd read ofc if I like the modules), or get my s**t together and redo my A-levels while I work and live life. Any tips, help and advice on what to do would be amazing.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Specofranger
Hi, I'm a 20 year old who took a gap year after his A-levels (Biggest mistake of my life personally). I want to study physics as it's a subject I'm genuinely interested in and I know I'd regret not even trying to study.

Last year I had the option of going Foundation Year at QMUL or Normal first year start at University of Kent. This year QMUL won't consider me because I haven't achieved the minimum academic requirement of a C in physics. My grades being Maths - B , Physics - D , Psychology -E , and 3 AS's (DDE).

I'm not sure exactly what to do right now, as I have been unsure about a lot of stuff. Not sure if moving from London is the best option and just starting the year at any uni that does a physics course (I'd read ofc if I like the modules), or get my s**t together and redo my A-levels while I work and live life. Any tips, help and advice on what to do would be amazing.

Are you trying to apply through Clearing, or are you going to apply next cycle for 2019 entry?
Original post by Interrobang
Are you trying to apply through Clearing, or are you going to apply next cycle for 2019 entry?

I'm thinking to apply through clearing, but it seem because of my grades if a CCC course didn't take me, will other university's? I guess i can only try, but not sure if want to study outside of London.
I'm thinking to apply through clearing, but it seem because of my grades if a CCC course didn't take me, will other university's? I guess i can only try, but not sure if want to study outside of London.

It's always possible :smile: Worth contacting unis that are in Clearing (check here). Presumably you've not got any current offers?
took a gap year after his A-levels (Biggest mistake of my life personally)

Why is this? I was thinking of taking a gap year myself but now I'm having second thoughts.
No offers, applied directly through clearing. QMUL passed around my application in the department, says Unlike to change the stance they have, due to accepting applicants of a "higher threshold" , gotta keep going regardless, just unsure whats my next best step.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Awarsame5
Why is this? I was thinking of taking a gap year myself but now I'm having second thoughts.

Basically, I was gonna go QMUL foundation last year instead of Kent, then withdrew literally like 3-4 days before the first day. I wasn't in a good place in life at the time, neither am I now, but gotta just move forward and live life. I sat around doing nothing all day, smoking vv33d, mindlessly watching youtube, having no fun, no friends really (well did go Amsterdam, Glasgow for concert, some stuff), but other than that wasted my year. If you got motivation, money and a can do attitude, your gap year might be amazing, just wasn't the case for me. A bit scared to take another if to improve grades. Sorry for the long story
Generally, it's not a good idea to study a degree in a subject you could only get a D in
Original post by DarthRoar
Generally, it's not a good idea to study a degree in a subject you could only get a D in

Generally I'd assume people aren't as simple minded as that statement. It was a fault of my own, not necessarily lacking ability, actually far from it. My physics teacher who got 1st Class Masters at QMUL (he's 25 btw amazing human) encourages me due to curiosity in physics, my love for understanding the universe really.

I have achieved a D just due to the fact that I was unable to sit, get my head down and revise, sadly all the grades I got were done with 1 day of revision or less per exam (And no preparation throughout the year....) this is no ones fault but my own. I think I have the brain of someone who's made to study physics, and maybe the ability, sure as hell didn't have the can do attitude TILL NOW!
Generally I'd assume people aren't as simple minded as that statement. It was a fault of my own, not necessarily lacking ability, actually far from it. My physics teacher who got 1st Class Masters at QMUL (he's 25 btw amazing human) encourages me due to curiosity in physics, my love for understanding the universe really.

I have achieved a D just due to the fact that I was unable to sit, get my head down and revise, sadly all the grades I got were done with 1 day of revision or less per exam (And no preparation throughout the year....) this is no ones fault but my own. I think I have the brain of someone who's made to study physics, and maybe the ability, sure as hell didn't have the can do attitude TILL NOW!

That's a lot of cool words, but actions speak louder. If you can't/wont study the simpler stuff, I fail to see why you think you'll study the harder stuff. It's easy to tell yourself that you'll actually study this time, but don't believe yourself until you've seen that you can do it.

Today I have seen so many people utterly fail because they told themselves 'they'll study this time'. It's a common trap, and to think that you're special (in that it doesn't apply to you) is naive.
Reply 10
Best to retake. I'm gonna be honest. You want to have a good foundation before you go on to your degree level. Rather than take the course that is available to you. You want to give ourself the best chance In doing well in you're degree.
Original post by DarthRoar
That's a lot of cool words, but actions speak louder. If you can't/wont study the simpler stuff, I fail to see why you think you'll study the harder stuff. It's easy to tell yourself that you'll actually study this time, but don't believe yourself until you've seen that you can do it.

Today I have seen so many people utterly fail because they told themselves 'they'll study this time'. It's a common trap, and to think that you're special (in that it doesn't apply to you) is naive.

Oh I'm perfectly aware of that believe me, no one loses out from this besides myself in any case. And not sure what cool words you may be referring to. I'm know what were the downfalls of my A-levels (Mainly my mental health and direction in life), I may be cocky, but I have the ability, just didn't have the motivation at the time, it will likely affect me and be a struggle, but the playing field is different, I'm not a poor kid with no options anymore. Regardless physics is something i learn about at least weekly throughout my year as it just a big interest for me.

I have grown tired of doing nothing and deteriorating intellectually, I want to try out university and decide whether it's for me or not, other I'll just be pilling more regrets about life on myself, but no more. Focusing on a single subject is dead easy, especially a foundation year... Gladly surprised myself getting 95/100 for my S1 paper which was supposedly the hardest my teachers have ever seen. I can replicate that in anything, just didn't have the effort sadly.
Are the grade boundaries similar, and have you studied Mechanical engineering? I've always just been a guy who gotta know why and how things happen, so physics seems most natural to me, haven't considered other options in that sense really.
Original post by H.a.hx
Best to retake. I'm gonna be honest. You want to have a good foundation before you go on to your degree level. Rather than take the course that is available to you. You want to give ourself the best chance In doing well in you're degree.

Only problem I'm scared I may waste my life again, starting a uni course at nearly 22 if next year, and that's if i work, have a life and redo my A-levels all in one, got zero financial or housing support from anyone so gonna have to be a strong fight from me. (Sorry don't mean to sound like complaining, just comparing pro's and cons)

Have you been in contact with unis from the list in my post above? There may be some unis accepting students with your grades for your chosen course :smile:
I feel like life is mediocre for most graduates, capping probly somewhere at like 50k (if even that lol), if i were to want a future where Income is a focus (high income) it would be best to develop a business, cause who are we kidding, people are pumped with BS about degrees that are just a higher level barrier than the minimum wage. I'm currently unsure about career prospects of the future with degree id be doing.
Have you been in contact with unis from the list in my post above? There may be some unis accepting students with your grades for your chosen course :smile:

I have not, been gathering info and reading things such as this post, I'll be doing that tomorrow, kinda will need to "YOLO" this due to not being able to go where I want exactly, location and quality of lecturers mainly (was told their good by first hand student, my teacher)
I have not, been gathering info and reading things such as this post, I'll be doing that tomorrow, kinda will need to "YOLO" this due to not being able to go where I want exactly, location and quality of lecturers mainly (was told their good by first hand student, my teacher)

OK fair enough. Good luck with contacting the unis tomorrow. People will be around to answer questions then too :smile:
OK fair enough. Good luck with contacting the unis tomorrow. People will be around to answer questions then too :smile:

Thank you very much for trying to help, nice to see someone can turn to the online community for help.
With engineering, you really need that engineer mindset. Of course OP doesn't have to be an engineer as many engineering grads (and physics) go into finance, but you can't just switch from physics to engineering like that... I made that mistake (thankfully with no negative consequences) thinking that engineering is similar to physics... no it's not. If you're not a practical person and don't actively seek out practical/technical issues, you shouldn't be an engineer, simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending