The Student Room Group

2 marks off an A* in further maths?? Am I right

Ok so the further maths A* thing is confusing but I think I have this right.
My UMS over the 2 years are:

C1 - 93
C2 - 100
C3 - 97
C4 - 97
M1 - 100
M2 - 93
S1 - 95
S2 - 76
D1 - 100
D2 - 98
FP1 - 94
FP2 - 71

If I remarked M2 and got 2 more marks bring me up to 96 UMS, could I get an A* if I put S2, M2 and D2 in for FM?? Or does it have to include FP2?
Reply 1
Also I know getting 2 more marks is unlikely, but just hypothetically?
Reply 2
is this in the right forum?
you have to have fp2
Reply 4
Original post by Dan1999/17
you have to have fp2

Is that definite? Cos all I can find online is that it must be 3 A2 modules which the 3 I mentioned are.
Reply 5
Original post by Dan1999/17
you have to have fp2

So i would still include FP2 just it wouldn’t go towards my 3 subjects forming the 90 ums average
Original post by math24601
So i would still include FP2 just it wouldn’t go towards my 3 subjects forming the 90 ums average

Can you list how you think you get an A*A*?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Can you list how you think you get an A*A*?

For maths I’d have c1, c2, c3, c4, s1 and m1 which is 582 UMS and an average of 97 over my A2 modules

For further maths I’d have FP1, FP2, D1, D2, M2, S2 which is a total of 532 UMS and currently an average of 89 UMS over my best 3 A2 modules (D2,M2,S2) but if u got 3 more UMS on any of these the average would be 90 and hence an A*.
Ok so the further maths A* thing is confusing but I think I have this right.
My UMS over the 2 years are:

C1 - 93
C2 - 100
C3 - 97
C4 - 97
M1 - 100
M2 - 93
S1 - 95
S2 - 76
D1 - 100
D2 - 98
FP1 - 94
FP2 - 71

If I remarked M2 and got 2 more marks bring me up to 96 UMS, could I get an A* if I put S2, M2 and D2 in for FM?? Or does it have to include FP2?

do you need that A* to get into uni or is it for the sake of boosting your ego? I'd understand both situations.
Priority remark if you genuinely need the A*.
For maths I’d have c1, c2, c3, c4, s1 and m1 which is 582 UMS and an average of 97 over my A2 modules

For further maths I’d have FP1, FP2, D1, D2, M2, S2 which is a total of 532 UMS and currently an average of 89 UMS over my best 3 A2 modules (D2,M2,S2) but if u got 3 more UMS on any of these the average would be 90 and hence an A*.

Is it edexcel? Your school can request free online access to scripts - you can only get a remark on papers you sat this session.
Reply 10
Original post by SomMC1
do you need that A* to get into uni or is it for the sake of boosting your ego? I'd understand both situations.
Priority remark if you genuinely need the A*.
pretty much boosting my ego haha. I'm not that bothered I just think if I'm that close (I know it's 3 UMS but that's only 2 marks) I'd rather just know. My parents are cool paying for the remark even if there's just a small chance, I just wanted to make sure there was actually a chance at all.
I wouldn't get priority remark bc I'm taking a gap year.
Reply 11
Is it edexcel? Your school can request free online access to scripts - you can only get a remark on papers you sat this session.

AQA sadly :frown: but thanks :smile:
Reply 12
I can't they deactivated our school emails lol (how useful)
AQA sadly :frown: but thanks :smile:

The problem it could be any of the FM A2 papers which could be very expensive!
Reply 14

& yeah that's why I can't get s2 remarked cos I sat it last year
Reply 15
The problem it could be any of the FM A2 papers which could be very expensive!
cos I sat s2 last year it would only be m2 and d2. I'm thinking of doing one at a time.
Reply 16
Original post by SomMC1
You ****ing ego booster, I hate you (jk i love you brother). Well in that case, congratulations on great results. Where you applying next year?

Im no expert with the UMS for A levels so oops, im not the guy to help with that in particular haha

haha :wink: thanks man! probably nottingham, durham & st andrews, not sure where else yet :smile:
Reply 17
so just to clarify, it is possible? even if it's not very likely? I'll probably get m2 remarked and then if that goes up by 1 i'll get d2 remarked. if it doesn't go up I'll leave it.
i can't just do d2 bc I can only get 2 more ums on that lol

Quick Reply

Latest