The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for Cambridge?

I am hoping to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science but I don't know if that can still be a possibility.
I received my AS results and achieved As in Physics and Computing but I got a B in both Maths and Further Maths, both of which i was close to getting an A. Honestly, during the exams I wasn't very 'turned on' let's say and feel like I could have got an A if I tried harder (or maybe that's just hindsight speaking).
I do linear A-levels which means that my school will send predicted grades to the university that I apply to as opposed to my actual AS results. My school only makes us do the AS levels to get a taste of the exams and stuff...idk.
The question is, is it still possible for me to get into Cambridge if the predicted results are around 1 or 2 A*s and the rest As (I can't get predicted lower than what I got). Or does it only matter what I get at the end of Year 13. I feel it's likely my predicted grades for maths and further maths will be at least As since I usually perform well.
Basically, do I have a second chance to get high enough grades for Cambridge??
I also got 7A*s and 4As at GCSEs if that helps.
Do you know what predictions you are being given for next year? This will probably give you the best insight into if you have a chance of being accepted by Cambridge.
Reply 2
I don't know anything about my predicted grades yet, I just got my AS results today. However, I would like to assume that I would get at least all As predicted (i.e. my Further Maths and Maths go up) and maybe an A* for Computing and/or Physics. I'm hoping that one or two A*s and the rest As is good enough.
Is this unrealistic?
Reply 3
Moved to University of Cambridge

Honestly your predicted grades will be a bigger factor. Maths predicted grade will be the more important than computer science. You'll probably need an A* in maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
Moved to University of Cambridge

Honestly your predicted grades will be a bigger factor. Maths predicted grade will be the more important than computer science. You'll probably need an A* in maths.

I'm honestly thinking that it won't be my predicted grades that will get me the offer as even if i get 2A*s and 2As it might be, like you were saying, not in the right subjects. Therefore, would you guys say it's reasonable to just try as hard as I can during Year 13 and then reapply on results day if my A2 goes well? My teachers expect me to achieve around 3A*s and an A for my A2 and were surprised with my AS results, however i heard that the rejection rate is higher when applying post A-levels.
Reply 5
Original post by ReEhAhS2000
I'm honestly thinking that it won't be my predicted grades that will get me the offer as even if i get 2A*s and 2As it might be, like you were saying, not in the right subjects. Therefore, would you guys say it's reasonable to just try as hard as I can during Year 13 and then reapply on results day if my A2 goes well? My teachers expect me to achieve around 3A*s and an A for my A2 and were surprised with my AS results, however i heard that the rejection rate is higher when applying post A-levels.

My advice is to try as much as possible to be predicted A* in maths before the deadline. It should be possible. Revise it over the rest of the summer and make sure your teachers know you've done the work.
If you have taken actual AS exams, even if they dodon count toward your full A-Level, you have to declare these on your UCAS application.
Reply 7
Original post by Paralove
If you have taken actual AS exams, even if they dodon count toward your full A-Level, you have to declare these on your UCAS application.

I heard that you didn't have to since my school is sending my predicted grades in place of these. I've seen people on the forums say that they weren't happy with their AS results so they just didn't state them.
Reply 8
I heard that you didn't have to since my school is sending my predicted grades in place of these. I've seen people on the forums say that they weren't happy with their AS results so they just didn't state them.

All grades for all qualifications MUST be declared on UCAS. Including AS-levels.

The only exception is if the "exams" were just internal school PPE/mocks. They aren't declared.
They interview most applicants, especially those with predicted grades at or above the typical offer. Computer Science has an at-interview test doesn't it? If you get an interview then doing well on that and the test will take over from your AS results. I know someone who applied for maths and they were resitting two or three modules and they still got an interview. The most important thing you can do is make sure you're predicted an A* in maths.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Well,I think I have the same problem as yours.I only got two As (Chemistry and Maths) and two Bs (Further maths and Physics) due to some accidents. I am not sure if I can submit the grades of examination in October.
Reply 11
I am hoping to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science but I don't know if that can still be a possibility.
I received my AS results and achieved As in Physics and Computing but I got a B in both Maths and Further Maths, both of which i was close to getting an A. Honestly, during the exams I wasn't very 'turned on' let's say and feel like I could have got an A if I tried harder (or maybe that's just hindsight speaking).
I do linear A-levels which means that my school will send predicted grades to the university that I apply to as opposed to my actual AS results. My school only makes us do the AS levels to get a taste of the exams and stuff...idk.
The question is, is it still possible for me to get into Cambridge if the predicted results are around 1 or 2 A*s and the rest As (I can't get predicted lower than what I got). Or does it only matter what I get at the end of Year 13. I feel it's likely my predicted grades for maths and further maths will be at least As since I usually perform well.
Basically, do I have a second chance to get high enough grades for Cambridge??
I also got 7A*s and 4As at GCSEs if that helps.

I don't know anything about my predicted grades yet, I just got my AS results today. However, I would like to assume that I would get at least all As predicted (i.e. my Further Maths and Maths go up) and maybe an A* for Computing and/or Physics. I'm hoping that one or two A*s and the rest As is good enough.
Is this unrealistic?

Maths is the most important subject for CS at Cambridge, so realistically I think there's a reasonable chance your Bs in Maths & FM may mean you don't get called for interview.

Sorry.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending