The Student Room Group

Retro games are better than the modern ones!

Hi, it is me again, Kallisto!

The name of the thread is very controversial, I admit it, but that is my intention! I claim that the older games, especially the SNES and N64 games in the 90s, were better in playing and made much more fun! In the past, the games:

- were a breakthrough in gaming concept, just think about Sonic, Super Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Super Metroid, Mega Man, etc. They made the Jump and Runs so famous and so classical and video games themselves so popular for the first time!

- Playing video games was something special when technological and electronical appliances have not such a great extent in our society than nowadays. Especially the online-games made games so ordinary in presensce.

- Games like Terranigma or Secret of Mana were so unique in story, they had a high level of entertainment. The quality of video games decreased in terms of gameplay and the plot. The games are so equal to each other, nothing what seems to shine out. In short: the video game developers gave me the impression that they have no ideas to release expectional games. That is so obviously when I look at the remakes to Donkey Kong and Super Mario. They are good, without a doubt, but remakes in this extent number is also a clear sign for lack of ideas in develop video games.

Could be that I am a bit too dreamy and nostalgic in my opinions, but I tried to be neutral and objective as good as I can. And now, it is your turn gamers. Feel free to discuss! :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
The quality of video games decreased in terms of gameplay and the plot. The games are so equal to each other, nothing what seems to shine out. In short: the video game developers gave me the impression that they have no ideas to release exceptional games.

:bawling:

I do see where you're coming from. Having spent many hours trying to find good ports of the classic mega-man and super mario games, I think they are truly nostalgic games. However there are plenty of games, in my opinion, that are modern treasures. Xenoblade chronicles 2 (My personal favorite video game of all time) has gameplay that excels from other JRPGs. Real time combat which starts of simple but gradually introduces more and more mechanics for you to master. Customisation of characters to change elemental attacks and resistances. Hundreds of side quests spanning the entire game world which can actually contribute to the main story.

The plot is very simple: Guy finds girl. Girl turns out to have special powers. Travel to save the world. However this gradually branches out to include side plots which all culminate into your understanding of the lore and characters. It's well disguised.

Character designs are amazing. Each main character with a very different personality and design emphasized by the glorious voice acted cutscenes (Which are animated greatness thanks to the choreography of the fight scenes and characters as they have realistic interactions with each other.) and their dialogue which isn't shy in going where other kid friendly RPGs would avoid to go.

And don't get me started on the music... All I need say is that it is perfection.

Retro games are certainly good but I don't think they can compare to modern games today though.
I am a big fan of point and click adventure games, and cheesy full-motion video games. Both things that barely made it into the 21st century, with most 'new' offerings being remasters or sequels of old games. So the 90s is definitely my go-to decade when looking for games to play!

To be fair though, there were a lot of TERRIBLE old games. The worst examples have become notorious, while the rest get forgotten in time, making it easy to look back and only remember the good titles.
you should play some better modern games then
A lot of people misuse the word 'retro'. 'Retro' actually refers to something current that recreates the past. For example this would be something like Hotline Miami or Sonic Mania.

So the act of playing old games IS 'retro gaming', but they aren't retro games.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ozzyoscy
A lot of people misuse the word 'retro'. 'Retro actually refers to something current that recreates the past. For example this would be something like Hotline Miami or Sonic Mania.

Retrogaming is a recognized term, or enough to have its own Wikipedia page at least. Given that a lot of the PC games I play won't run on a modern PC without DOSBox (which emulates or 'recreates' a past operating system), I'd say they fit the criteria you've described.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Retrogaming is a recognized term, or enough to have its own Wikipedia page at least. Given that a lot of the PC games I play won't run on a modern PC without DOSBox (which emulates or 'recreates' a past operating system), I'd say they fit the criteria you've described.

The act of playing old games is retro.

But the title doesn't say gaming.
Depends by genre, and by game. I'd generally disagree, as retro had a lot of bad things in it and the modern era does have some good stuff in it, but then if you're not into certain genres you'll possibly never encounter them.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
(...)

To be fair though, there were a lot of TERRIBLE old games. The worst examples have become notorious, while the rest get forgotten in time, making it easy to look back and only remember the good titles.

Oh, AJ, just to make you sure, I never forgot the worse games of this period of time. Have even played some of them, so bad that I even regretted to pay these games. Maybe my view in high-quality games is subjective, but I have listened another reasons for my attitude, what do you think about those?

Original post by yolkie
you should play some better modern games then

I did it, with friends and alone. The feeling is different when I play modern games. As a pasttime, they are good, to feel passion and joy, the old games are the only ones to play.
Oh, AJ, just to make you sure, I never forgot the worse games of this period of time. Have even played some of them, so bad that I even regretted to pay these games. Maybe my view in high-quality games is subjective, but I have listened another reasons for my attitude, what do you think about those?

I did it, with friends and alone. The feeling is different when I play modern games. As a pasttime, they are good, to feel passion and joy, the old games are the only ones to play.

noooO!!!
HOLLLOW KNIGHT HOLLWO KNGHIT
or octopath traveller that is pretty good also really hits the nostalgia but provides a good modernisation of those snes rpgs which were good for their time but aged a bit

Obviously older games set the standards which newer games have tried to imitate or improve on, some kickstarting whole new genres. The popular franchises you have mentioned being some great examples. I think perhaps there are fewer all-new and exciting developments these days, as no matter how much prettier the graphics get with each new generation, the difference isn't as noticeable (to me at least) as the huge leaps from 8 bit to 16 bit, and then into proper 3D for the first time.

Virtual Reality is a recent development with some potential, but I have neither the money or the clear floorspace to get into that. :p:
Original post by yolkie
noooO!!!
HOLLLOW KNIGHT HOLLWO KNGHIT
or octopath traveller that is pretty good also really hits the nostalgia but provides a good modernisation of those snes rpgs which were good for their time but aged a bit

Hollow Knight is certainly good to play to spend time, but I don't think it has this one magical moment I am so looking for in games. Octopath instead looks promising to conquer my gaming heart. But it has a touch of Final Fantasy and other Final Fantasy-like games which are not my favorites to be honest.
I think 90s consoles, SNES, Sega Megadrive, Playstation's 1 and 2, were better than consoles of today. I still own those and prefer to play them as much as any modern console.
I suppose a lot of it will depend what you grew up with.

I'm an old bugger so I had a ZX Spectrum, then a NES, Commodore Amiga, Playstation 1...2, Nintendo Gamecube, Wii, Switch ect. One thing ill say for earlier systems is there was always a HUGE jump between them, it made them feel like something really worth waiting for, for plenty folk i knew their Playstation was their first proper CD player, ditto for the DVD player of the PS2....but I think past the PS3/X360 they kinda hit a plateau, it just feeling buying a new laptop with slightly better CPU/RAM whatever and shedload of sequels, I think they've lost a lot of the 'WOW' factor.

Earlier games I feel had a lot more personality as it was often a smaller teams labour of love, you had a smaller market to chose from so you made the best of what you ended up with. For most of these the entire budget would maybe buy you a used car, now movie AAA budgets are the norm with the expectations that come with them. I'm seeing this lot more with current indy gaming as a cycle, where makers are more confident to follow through on creative vision rather than have to toe a developer line.
Original post by Sharpshooter
I think 90s consoles, SNES, Sega Megadrive, Playstation's 1 and 2, were better than consoles of today. I still own those and prefer to play them as much as any modern console.

So you would agree with me that the modern games are much better in graphics, but the plots of older games are more creative? is that the reason of your preference?
So you would agree with me that the modern games are much better in graphics, but the plots of older games are more creative? is that the reason of your preference?

Yeah the standard of gameplay was equally (if not more so) just as good. I could sit and play Super Mario's 2&3, Zelda LTTP, Mariokart, Lylat Wars, Goldeneye on the SNES/N64 all day still be completely compelled by it all. No matter how many times I've completed those games over and over, and no matter how old they are, they're still some of the greatest games I've ever played and will likely ever play.

The 1990's were still the GOAT decade of consoles and video gaming IMO. I'm glad I grew up in that decade with the video games on back then than today's games with albeit excellent graphics and visuals, has a very samey feel to a lot of them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just to prove my point, although I do buy modern consoles and games and still very much enjoy them, I still buy older games from the 90's off ebay, I've got about 25-30 games for the N64, recently I bought 1080 Snowboarding and the Nagano Winter Olympics, looking to acquire a collection of about 50.

Recently bought Bomberman 2 and 3 for the SNES also.
All games and consoles which are not commercially available, so N64 too, are outdated and old in my view.

Original post by Sharpshooter
Just to prove my point, although I do buy modern consoles and games and still very much enjoy them, I still buy older games from the 90's off ebay, I've got about 25-30 games for the N64, recently I bought 1080 Snowboarding and the Nagano Winter Olympics, looking to acquire a collection of about 50.

Recently bought Bomberman 2 and 3 for the SNES also.

Wow, that is a lot games for N64, you acquired more than I ever done. Over 50? is this not a bit too many, as there are just 20 N64 games which are really good?

Quick Reply

Latest