The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Computer science

How’s computer science like at Aston university? Would it be really hard if you haven’t done maths A level?
Reply 1
Original post by AminaN
How’s computer science like at Aston university? Would it be really hard if you haven’t done maths A level?

I’ve recently graduated from the school of computer science, from my experience there is a lot of support available if you need it, whether it be with programming or mathematics. Myself and many others did not undertake mathematics at A Levels, so I would not worry!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by imrhan13
I’ve recently graduated from the school of computer science, from my experience there is a lot of support available if you need it, whether it be with programming or mathematics. Myself and many others did not undertake mathematics at A Levels, so I would not worry!

Did u do a placement year? And was there a lot of support in helping u get a placement year?
Reply 3
Yes, I did, I was lucky enough to secure two work placements. The Aston University Careers Placements offer great support with finding suitable work placements
Reply 4
I just finished my first year doing Computer Science. I started the course only having done a BTEC. It's not that intensive as long as you focus and pay attention on the content. You'll find it harder if you haven't done maths, so don't forget to sign up to the library classes
Original post by Spratty
I just finished my first year doing Computer Science. I started the course only having done a BTEC. It's not that intensive as long as you focus and pay attention on the content. You'll find it harder if you haven't done maths, so don't forget to sign up to the library classes

Hi, I'm doing a BTEC in IT too and on track to get three distinctions so should be okay getting onto the course hopefully but my GCSE maths grade is a C and they ask for a B. Do you think they would still let me on because otherwise i'll have to go to BCU :/
Reply 6
Original post by thomasnottingham
Hi, I'm doing a BTEC in IT too and on track to get three distinctions so should be okay getting onto the course hopefully but my GCSE maths grade is a C and they ask for a B. Do you think they would still let me on because otherwise i'll have to go to BCU :/

I got into Aston with a C but only because I got a 2.1 in my first year at my previous uni
Reply 7

As you're only being restricted by that one grade, they may let you in. I suggest calling them up asap.

Hi,

I do Computer Science with Multimedia and got in with a C in Maths! With your three distinctions, admissions might let you in with a C.

You should always try! ^Kam
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

I do Computer Science with Multimedia and got in with a C in Maths! With your three distinctions, admissions might let you in with a C.

You should always try! ^Kam

That's great, are you enjoying your course?
That's great, are you enjoying your course?

Absolutely love it. Lecturers are great and so is the content.

My favourite thing about the uni is that it has it's own Software Development company which you can join in first year to help build up your CV - https://beautifulcanoe.com/

^Kam
Absolutely love it. Lecturers are great and so is the content.

My favourite thing about the uni is that it has it's own Software Development company which you can join in first year to help build up your CV - https://beautifulcanoe.com/

^Kam

That sounds great. I've been undecided about whether to go to uni or to go down the apprentice route because I've been worried about not having experience but if they offer things like that then I might stick to uni.
That sounds great. I've been undecided about whether to go to uni or to go down the apprentice route because I've been worried about not having experience but if they offer things like that then I might stick to uni.

Aston has good links with industry. We have an Computer Science Industry Club where companies from Brum will come in, and you get to demo your coursework projects (and hopefully get a job/placement offer)! If you have any other questions, give me a shout ^Kam
Original post by Spratty
As you're only being restricted by that one grade, they may let you in. I suggest calling them up asap.

Can't call them yet, I have another year left until I finish my BTEC. I got my two distinction* grades this year and just need to get the last one now :biggrin:
Can't call them yet, I have another year left until I finish my BTEC. I got my two distinction* grades this year and just need to get the last one now :biggrin:

Ah cool. I did a btec myself (D*D*D*) - need help, let me know!
Reply 15
Aston has good links with industry. We have an Computer Science Industry Club where companies from Brum will come in, and you get to demo your coursework projects (and hopefully get a job/placement offer)! If you have any other questions, give me a shout ^Kam

How mathematical is computer science degree at Aston?

The thing is many interview questions for jobs are mathematical and logical questions. Computer science industries are competitive and have one of the highest unemployment, if the course doesnt prove solid mathematics foundations then I am afraid Aston graduates will find very hard to find a HIGH level job in the industry.
Original post by emprex

The thing is many interview questions for jobs are mathematical and logical questions. Computer science industries are competitive and have one of the highest unemployment, if the course doesnt prove solid mathematics foundations then I am afraid Aston graduates will find very hard to find a HIGH level job in the industry.

Theres people in high up positions without degrees in IT at all. Experience comes a long way.
Reply 17
Theres people in high up positions without degrees in IT at all. Experience comes a long way.

Correction this is a huge debate within the industry.

A significant proportion of people who dont have degrees in IT industry are people who joined in during the dotcom bubble and since then have climbed their way up in the ranks.

During dotcom bubble if you write the word "IT" in your CV you will instantly get hired by a tech company. No matter how much you see people say "Oh you dont need a computer science degree to become a programmer" is a sentence that is heavily out dated.

You are correct, we go university only for that FIRST job! finding a job when you have a stable job is much easier than finding your first job.
Original post by emprex

Our Computer Science course does have a large element of mathematics embedded in it. Thus why we ask for B grade at GCSE in our entry requirements.

Our Computer Science students also tend to improve their employability by taking placement years at companies such as Microsoft, IBM, Google & Virgin Media along with other SME's.

We also have our own in house software development company called beautiful canoe which gives our computer science students more practical experience to bolster their CV with.

Josh
On the website it says that you only require a 4/C in GCSE Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest