The Student Room Group

Muslim woman who refused handshake at job interview wins compensation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45207086

Farah Alhajeh, 24, was applying for a job as an interpreter when she declined to shake the hand of a male interviewer for religious reasons.
She placed her hand over her heart in greeting instead.

The Swedish labour court ruled the company had discriminated against her and ordered it to pay 40,000 kronor ($4,350; £3,420) in compensation.

Some Muslims avoid physical contact with members of the opposite sex, except for those in their immediate family. However handshakes are traditional in some European countries.

Sweden's discrimination ombudsman's office, which represented 24-year-old Ms Alhajeh, said the judgement had taken into account "the employer's interests, the individual's right to bodily integrity, and the importance of the state to maintain protection for religious freedom".

I think it's good she received compensation because people should respect what kind of bodily contact people are comfortable with.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She's pretty fit.
Good. Otherwise racist employers would be able to bar muslims by simply requiring handshakes, and ensuring that muslim interviewees are paired with interviewers of the opposite sex.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Good. Otherwise racist employers would be able to bar muslims by simply requiring handshakes, and ensuring that muslim interviewees are paired with interviewers of the opposite sex.

Not really racist though
Fair enough. But I don’t understand how they were discriminating against her ? He probably didn’t know that Muslim can’t touch the opposite sex
so she got a golden ermm handshake

:teehee:
Failing to see how the company discriminated her or made her feel uncomfortable... sounds ridiculous she was entitles to compensation. Its just a handshake smh
Deleted
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
She'd be a bundle of laughs when she has to meet people in her job and refuse to shake hands. Its traditional and part of life in civilised countries. I would see it as rude regardless of her religion, which by the way does not dictate that they cannot shake hands with males. It's a personal preference. More pandering to a particular sect!
What a waste of time and money.
Sweden is practical ran by Muslims now so that's no surprise. A shocking decision. They actually pay out compensation for that? What a precedent being set. Europe is doomed.
It feels a bit like an incomplete story. She refused the handshake, and then what happened?
Why on earth would they end the interview over that :lolwut:
Reply 13
Has anyone considered that what she is doing is actually sexist. I mean how would females feel if a man decided he didn't want to shake hands with any women....would you find that totally acceptable?
Original post by shadowdweller

Don't know the facts, but that alone might suggest she is not suitable for the job? I.e. she would be in a role where she is expected to mix with a lot of males, maybe she would be working in the prison system, and she would be expected to exchange the usual greetings. To not do so might cause offence.

There's also the attitude that could accompany the refusal.
Original post by nutz99
Has anyone considered that what she is doing is actually sexist. I mean how would females feel if a man decided he didn't want to shake hands with any women....would you find that totally acceptable?

She refused to shake hands with both men and women so it couldn't be deemed sexist.
Places fist on chest and growls obedience brings victory.. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
She refused to shake hands with both men and women so it couldn't be deemed sexist.
So if a woman had interviewed her and she'd refused to shake her hand she could not have got any compensation because her "religious reasons" would then be out the window as it only relates to males. Her religion does not stop her from physical contact with other women.

Seems very contrived to me.
Original post by shadowdweller

You might take it as a sign of rudeness and/or refusing to be part of the team. Ending the interview right after that is a bit strange, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get a job where I refused to shake the hand of an interviewer because I thought he had cooties, just this interview panel skipped ahead. She's pretty much done a slightly sophisticated "Ew, boys have cooties" in a professional environment.
Sweden has been going down the toilet for years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending