The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Sciences 2019 Application

Hey,
Is anyone applying to Natsci this October??
If you are, how many A levels are you doing and what are your predicted grades?
Also has anyone actually started to work in any way? because I m planning to leave everything to September when I ll be well rested and much more efficient :smile:

Scroll to see replies

For future reference, please use the year of entry in the title instead of the year of application, as it gets confusing
The prospectus doesn't say 2018 on it, it says 2019
Reply 2
Original post by jklasjrkx123
Hey,
Is anyone applying to Natsci this October??
If you are, how many A levels are you doing and what are your predicted grades?
Also has anyone actually started to work in any way? because I m planning to leave everything to September when I ll be well rested and much more efficient :smile:

Original post by jason0597
For future reference, please use the year of entry in the title instead of the year of application, as it gets confusing
The prospectus doesn't say 2018 on it, it says 2019

Yup, I've edited the title :smile:
Hi, I’m doing Bio Chem Maths and Phys applying as BioNatSci. Predicted 4A*. Finding revising for the NSAA hard - all about timing
Reply 4
Hi! I'm also going to apply for NatSci ! I'm French so I don't do A-levels but I'm predicted around 18.5/20 at the French Baccalauréat. I started training for NSAA just a couple days ago and I'll be sitting IELTS at the end of the month.
Reply 5
Hi, I’m applying for bio+chemistry natsci, and I’m doing biology, chemistry and maths at A2, I did physics AS and I’m planning on dropping it (depending on results). I’ll get my official predicted grades after results day but at the moment it’s 3A*.

I have been doing summer work, which is all science based so I suppose it all helps, but I’m struggling on how to study specifically for the NSAA. How is everyone else preparing for it?
Reply 6
Original post by Amyvwoo
Hi, I’m applying for bio+chemistry natsci, and I’m doing biology, chemistry and maths at A2, I did physics AS and I’m planning on dropping it (depending on results). I’ll get my official predicted grades after results day but at the moment it’s 3A*.

I have been doing summer work, which is all science based so I suppose it all helps, but I’m struggling on how to study specifically for the NSAA. How is everyone else preparing for it?

Anyone did the specimen paper 2 for biology section? Just would like to compare answers
Reply 7
For the moment I'm just going over the content specification to make sure I know everything that is required (I study at a french high school so we don't learn the same content as in A levels). I'll do some past papers when I'm finished
The most difficult thing is that time is very short so I'd suggest to practice on solving quickly maths problems
If anyone has other suggestions/methods of revision please let me know!
I’m thinking of doing the NSAA but currently my knowledge level is at AS sciences (I haven’t taken my AS yet, it is this Oct), would it be unwise if I sit for this test end of this Oct or should I wait until I have learnt my A2 stuff to try for it? Does it make a difference? Is the scope of the assessment up to A2? And have you guys who are taking it all learnt your A2 already? :smile:
Original post by Vitaminwater
I’m thinking of doing the NSAA but currently my knowledge level is at AS sciences (I haven’t taken my AS yet, it is this Oct), would it be unwise if I sit for this test end of this Oct or should I wait until I have learnt my A2 stuff to try for it? Does it make a difference? Is the scope of the assessment up to A2? And have you guys who are taking it all learnt your A2 already? :smile:

I think if you’re applying to Cambridge for 2019 nat Sci entry, you have to have taken at least the NSAA as part of your application, and some colleges require extra stuff on top of that, so the NSAA is designed that it can be taken at the start of y13, not at the end of a Levels :-)
Also I’m doing maths, further maths, chemistry, and physics a levels, hoping to apply to St John’s college, with predictions A*A*A*A (hahahahaha further maths I’ll try but pfft A* naaah 😂😂)

I’ve kinda looked at the NSAA, plus St. John’s have another assessment on the day of the interview, but I’m figuring as long as I know my a Level specs thoroughly I should be ok (hopefully!!)
Reply 11
Original post by Vitaminwater

Check the spec (I *think* it's AS-level)
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/nsaa_specification.pdf
I applied to Jesus college (bio, would like to take cells, Chem, physics/eco/earth) btw, I’m going all the sciences at Dutch VWO (maths, fm, bio, chem, phys) and predicted 9/10. I did a past paper and scored somewhere around the 50% applicants mark, I find section one maths really hard because of the time constraints. Any tips??
Hey guys, also applying from France for bio natsci! Applied to King’s with A Level bio, chem, math predicted 3A*.

For the NSAA, the multiple choice sections are GCSE level except the advanced physics and maths section which is AS. It’s because everyone took all three sciences at GCSE but some physicists only take physics, maths, further maths at AS/A Level, so they aren’t disadvantaged. The free response are all AS Level, but they assume knowledge of GCSE.

My tip in chem multiple choice would be to rlly have the common compounds and ions, position of common elements (no periodic table during the test I think), and other basic stuff memorized by heart. It sounds simple and obvious but I feel like it helps a lot with timing if have a mental “fact sheet”. Same goes with maths formulas.

Maybe everyone should introduce themselves with college of choice, bio or phys natsci, predicted or actual A Level/other qualifications grades, and country (if you’re international)?
Hey everyone,
NSAA is just over a week away (dies inside). Does anyone have answers for the specimen paper's section 2 chemistry and biology questions?
Btw, my names Christie. I'm studying maths, further maths, chemistry and biology; I'm predicted all A*s (but we'll see about that in further maths hahaha). I applied to jesus for bio/chem natsci. Any help would be great. Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by christie.patel
Hey everyone,NSAA is just over a week away (dies inside). Does anyone have answers for the specimen paper's section 2 chemistry and biology questions?Btw, my names Christie. I'm studying maths, further maths, chemistry and biology; I'm predicted all A*s (but we'll see about that in further maths hahaha). I applied to jesus for bio/chem natsci. Any help would be great. Thanks.
A week, that’s truly horrific. I have only done one past paper.. What are you’d doing to prepare? By the way, we’re applying for the exact same subject at the same college!
Original post by DCMed96
Anyone did the specimen paper 2 for biology section? Just would like to compare answers

Hey want to compare answers?
Original post by Annamies
A week, that’s truly horrific. I have only done one past paper.. What are you’d doing to prepare? By the way, we’re applying for the exact same subject at the same college!

Revising as content and doing the past papers and looking over wider reading for section 2. What prep are you doing?
Reply 18
Applying to Corpus Christi for Phys NatSci. Anyone know roughly what to aim for in section 1? I keep doing really badly under timed conditions :frown:
Reply 19
Hi everyone, applying to Kings for Phys NatSci. I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths, and Further Maths. Predicted A*A*A*A, but I'm thinking A in physics, to be honest.

Just about to start revising for the NSAA today, any advice?

I've heard the timing on the multi-choice is very strict.

Quick Reply

Latest