The Student Room Group

Is it worth a Remark? (2 marks off an A!) // A level exam

I achieved an A overall in Law (AS + A2) and I got B in A2 Law Unit 3 and B in A2 Law Unit 4.

I was 2 marks away from an A and I know this won't raise it to an A* but I'm just wondering what would you do? I don't want to potentially bring my grade down to a B or a C so I might not take the risk. I'm not sure when the deadline is.

Any advice is appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 1
My advice would be to not risk it - unless you're planning on going to a university that goes by UMS marks (and even then, only if it is right on the border). All in all employees and universities will care more about your actual grade than your marks. Risking sabotaging that is pretty major.

Anyway, well done on your grade, though! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by IxJ
My advice would be to not risk it - unless you're planning on going to a university that goes by UMS marks (and even then, only if it is right on the border). All in all employees and universities will care more about your actual grade than your marks. Risking sabotaging that is pretty major.

Anyway, well done on your grade, though! :biggrin:

True! I won't get it remarked, it's too much of a risk, plus I did get an A overall (I wanted an A* but still I did well anyways!) and nobody's going to ask for my individual exam grades/marks.

Thank you! I'm still so shocked by the fact I got AAB and an A in a subject I thought I'd get a U in! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Moral of the story - hard work pays off in the end and you have to believe in yourself, even when no one else does. My parents and teachers always believed in me and I lost hope in the last few weeks of my A levels. I'm so excited to start uni in October!! I can't wait!!
what would you say you could have done better to get an A in a2 law? x
Reply 4
Original post by alevelshelpit
what would you say you could have done better to get an A in a2 law? x

Yes, I definitely could have achieved an A or even A* in A2 Law. You can't get higher than A in AS Law which I already have. I won't get a remark because it's too much of a risk, it's OK as I got an A overall in A Level Law and nobody asks for your individual exam grades/marks anyways!!
Original post by kiki213
Yes, I definitely could have achieved an A or even A* in A2 Law. You can't get higher than A in AS Law which I already have. I won't get a remark because it's too much of a risk, it's OK as I got an A overall in A Level Law and nobody asks for your individual exam grades/marks anyways!!

what could you have done better to get straight A's in the units? i just want to make sure i get straight As
you have an A and you should be proud so stop worrying and be happy x
Reply 6
what could you have done better to get straight A's in the units? i just want to make sure i get straight As
you have an A and you should be proud so stop worrying and be happy x

I definitely could have revised my Unit 3 evaluation essays (general defences ugh that bish) more and my concepts of law essays!! Also I should've revised more on the defence of duress & fraud defences. I was lucky fraud s2 only came up :colondollar: but now i know for next time to just revise everything fully and not take a risk!
Original post by kiki213
I definitely could have revised my Unit 3 evaluation essays (general defences ugh that bish) more and my concepts of law essays!! Also I should've revised more on the defence of duress & fraud defences. I was lucky fraud s2 only came up :colondollar: but now i know for next time to just revise everything fully and not take a risk!

so more evaluation and basically cover all the content and not leave bits out?
what textbook did you use for as and a2? xx
Reply 8
so more evaluation and basically cover all the content and not leave bits out?
what textbook did you use for as and a2? xx

YES! I cannot stress this enough - DON'T leave out topics that are in the spec - revise EVERYTHING! Even if it's a bit of revision like skimming a textbook, flashcards or just quoting cases or acts, do it anyways! Little revision is better than none!
I'm not saying i didn't revise lmao because obviously I did I got an A but I wish i did maybe 10% more and I would've achieved an A* in A Level Law overalll and A's in both A2 exams.
I'll add it to the Law study group thread xx
Original post by kiki213
YES! I cannot stress this enough - DON'T leave out topics that are in the spec - revise EVERYTHING! Even if it's a bit of revision like skimming a textbook, flashcards or just quoting cases or acts, do it anyways! Little revision is better than none!
I'm not saying i didn't revise lmao because obviously I did I got an A but I wish i did maybe 10% more and I would've achieved an A* in A Level Law overalll and A's in both A2 exams.
I'll add it to the Law study group thread xx

would you say you spent a lot of time memorising content and evaluation?
shall i do past papers after each topic or all at the end?
and thanks <3 x
Reply 10
would you say you spent a lot of time memorising content and evaluation?
shall i do past papers after each topic or all at the end?
and thanks <3 x

Yes, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being nothing and 10 being nearly 24/7, I spent 9.5 on memorising content & evaluation.
Do past papers on each topic AND at the end but past papers all contain different topics not just 1, 2 or 3. They contain different elements which require skills of a lawyer to identify, define, explain and (I forgot what the A stands for lmaoooo 2 years of A level Law and your girl aint got a clue oops exposed myself!)
Original post by kiki213
Yes, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being nothing and 10 being nearly 24/7, I spent 9.5 on memorising content & evaluation.
Do past papers on each topic AND at the end but past papers all contain different topics not just 1, 2 or 3. They contain different elements which require skills of a lawyer to identify, define, explain and (I forgot what the A stands for lmaoooo 2 years of A level Law and your girl aint got a clue oops exposed myself!)

shall i start off by writing up que cards from the textbook - going through each topic and then memorise and then papers? is the textbook really useful or is it too broad and waffly? x
Reply 12
shall i start off by writing up que cards from the textbook - going through each topic and then memorise and then papers? is the textbook really useful or is it too broad and waffly? x

Yes, flashcards saved my LIFE! And the website alevellawdoomby!! This website got me an A!! I cannot rate this enough!
Make flashcards for each topic ie non fatal offences, murder, defences, key acts, cases etc
put the case name on one side and a hint/scenario on the other for example
Case name - Pittwood
Hint/Fact- Railway worker failed to close railway gates - caused death by manslaughter of a passerby/driver
Reply 13
Original post by kiki213
Moral of the story - hard work pays off in the end and you have to believe in yourself, even when no one else does. My parents and teachers always believed in me and I lost hope in the last few weeks of my A levels. I'm so excited to start uni in October!! I can't wait!!

I'd say the moral is believe in hard work, even when you can't believe in yourself!

Everyone has their own natural limitations, but they're not only much higher than most people think they are, but the only way to even begin to reach them is by working towards them. That being said, putting in the extra 10% at university level (if that's what you want to do) should be enough to get you not only a good grade, but the 'oomph' needed to get experience and leads outside of the course which will give you tons of opportunities in post-uni life.

Overall, again, VERY well done! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by IxJ
I'd say the moral is believe in hard work, even when you can't believe in yourself!

Everyone has their own natural limitations, but they're not only much higher than most people think they are, but the only way to even begin to reach them is by working towards them. That being said, putting in the extra 10% at university level (if that's what you want to do) should be enough to get you not only a good grade, but the 'oomph' needed to get experience and leads outside of the course which will give you tons of opportunities in post-uni life.

Overall, again, VERY well done! :smile:

Thank you so much babes, I'm so proud of myself!! ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

Quick Reply

Latest