The Student Room Group

Should I go for a priority remark- urgent help needed

So I missed an A* in chemistry by a couple of marks. I’m going to go for a remark but my firm place doesn’t depend on this remark. But If I do go for a priority remark will examiners be more lenient and does it increase the likelihood of my grade going up.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can re-mark if you think it's worth doing so, but if your firm choice have already confirmed your place, don't bother going for priority.
Original post by Chemeng97
So I missed an A* in chemistry by a couple of marks. I’m going to go for a remark but my firm place doesn’t depend on this remark. But If I do go for a priority remark will examiners be more lenient and does it increase the likelihood of my grade going up.

What does a couple of marks mean? How many?

Examiners go by the mark scheme and there are no guarantees and no real leniency/interpretation in a chemistry exam unlike a subject like English or History.

A* has as much to do with scoring consistently high grades over all your modules.

It is basically a small gamble the cost of a remark + risk of losing marks v gain of increasing.

Why do you think examiners would or should be more lenient because you can afford a remark?

Why do you think your grade might be more likely to go up? It is more likely to go up than down, but it is even more likely to remain the same.

Upgrades should only happen if they discover an actual mistake including a mark that no reasonable examiner would give.

Although these tougher rules cam in last year they dont appear to have been enforced.

Imo its worth a punt as its unlikely you would lose nearly a whole grade.
Reply 4
Original post by Beth_H
You can re-mark if you think it's worth doing so, but if your firm choice have already confirmed your place, don't bother going for priority.

But does going for a priority affect the outcome??
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
What does a couple of marks mean? How many?

Examiners go by the mark scheme and there are no guarantees and no real leniency/interpretation in a chemistry exam unlike a subject like English or History.

Loooooool like 4/5 marks. But to be fair paper 3 is a bit more subject with marking due to practical questions and all of that and I definitely felt like I did much better than my mark on that paper. I got an A* on the other 2 papers.I have nothing to lose just marks to gain I highly doubt I’m going to go down 40 marks to a B there’s no way. I’m too far into the A
Loooooool like 4/5 marks. But to be fair paper 3 is a bit more subject with marking due to practical questions and all of that and I definitely felt like I did much better than my mark on that paper. I got an A* on the other 2 papers.I have nothing to lose just marks to gain I highly doubt I’m going to go down 40 marks to a B there’s no way. I’m too far into the A

Fair enough! In that case, the only thing you risk losing is just the fee then.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
A* has as much to do with scoring consistently high grades over all your modules.

It is basically a small gamble the cost of a remark + risk of losing marks v gain of increasing.

Why do you think examiners would or should be more lenient because you can afford a remark?

Why do you think your grade might be more likely to go up? It is more likely to go up than down, but it is even more likely to remain the same.

Upgrades should only happen if they discover an actual mistake including a mark that no reasonable examiner would give.

Although these tougher rules cam in last year they dont appear to have been enforced.

There’s no gamble i’m well into the A, it’s not possible for me to go down 40 marks. I just feel like I had done much better on the last paper than the mark I was given.So I have nothing to lose just marks to gain. That’s not even the question my question is that if a get priority remark will examiners be nicer as they may think my university place depends on it.
Reply 8
Original post by Blue_Cow
Fair enough! In that case, the only thing you risk losing is just the fee then.

Can you please tell me if getting a priority remark affect the outcome than a normal one. Will examiners be more lenient in thinking that my place at university depends on the remark.
Can you please tell me if getting a priority remark affect the outcome than a normal one. Will examiners be more lenient in thinking that my place at university depends on the remark.

No.
There’s no gamble i’m well into the A, it’s not possible for me to go down 40 marks. I just feel like I had done much better on the last paper than the mark I was given.So I have nothing to lose just marks to gain. That’s not even the question my question is that if a get priority remark will examiners be nicer as they may think my university place depends on it.

As somebody said before, there is no leniency, an examiner will mark the paper the same regardless of whether your remark is priority or not. I think you would be selfish to get a priority remark if you don't need one, as you would be making somebody wait longer to find out whether they have gotten in to university. If not getting the A* bothers you that much just get the slower remark.
Nick, please can you advise this member? :smile:

There is a risk, even though its highly unlikely.
The is risk that if the mark does not increase you lose your money.
That is the gamble.

I would be horrified if you received more favourable treatment because you can afford a remark. Not everyone can.

Your university place does not depend on it.

I hope they just do their job and apply the JCQ rules this year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by dkfalling
As somebody said before, there is no leniency, an examiner will mark the paper the same regardless of whether your remark is priority or not. I think you would be selfish to get a priority remark if you don't need one, as you would be making somebody wait longer to find out whether they have gotten in to university. If not getting the A* bothers you that much just get the slower remark.

Yeah it doesn’t really bother me too much as I got an a* in my other subjects. You’re right I would be selfish to get a priority remark never thought of it that way. I guess I’m just going to get a standard remark
Reply 14
There is a risk, even though its highly unlikely.
The is risk that if the mark does not increase you lose your money.
That is the gamble.

I would be horrified if you received more favourable treatment because you can afford a remark. Not everyone can.

Your university place does not depend on it.

I hope they just do their job and apply the JCQ rules this year.

But paying £40 in the grand scheme of things to make sure I got the grade I deserved isn’t much tbh, despite the fact that I’m completely poor.
Yes my university place doesn’t depend on it but getting this grade is a personal aspiration that transcends university entry requirements.

No if your in your in it doesn't matter anymore I wouldn't even go for the remark.

I knew a guy who got a good strong B remarked about 4 times (priority) and ended up with an E he couldn't even go through clearing.
Your school or college will advise you as to whether a Priority Review of Marking should be pursued or a Review of Marking. Either way the process is exactly the same. It is not a remarking of the script. The examiner undertaking the review, whether a priority review of marking or a standard review of marking, is trained to ensure that the published mark scheme has been correctly applied with all parts of the script marked.
But does going for a priority affect the outcome??

No and you should not as your place does not depend on the grade.
Reply 19
Original post by jonathanemptage
I knew a guy who got a good strong B remarked about 4 times (priority) and ended up with an E he couldn't even go through clearing.

I’m only getting a remark once and there’s no way I can go down 40 marks on a single paper that I thought i’d done much better in. The question isn’t whether or not I should go for it. It’s whether I should get a priority or standard remark

Quick Reply