The Student Room Group

My road to Cambridge (Chemical engineering)

Hi!

I will be updating this thread throughout year 13 to motivate me towards my goal of achieving 4A*'s at A-level! I am applying to study Chemical engineering via natural sciences at Cambridge. My end of year grades (internal) were:

Chemistry: A*
Maths: A*
Further maths: A (3 marks off an A*!)
Geography: A*

I am currently finishing off my personal statement and planning to start prep for the NSAA fairly soon ( plus work on my FM!) :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by revisionboi
Hi!

I will be updating this thread throughout year 13 to motivate me towards my goal of achieving 4A*'s at A-level! I am applying to study Chemical engineering via natural sciences at Cambridge. My end of year grades (internal) were:

I am currently finishing off my personal statement and planning to start prep for the NSAA fairly soon ( plus work on my FM!) :smile:

Fantastic grades, well done!

Why did you decide to pursue Chemical Engineering? :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Fantastic grades, well done!

Why did you decide to pursue Chemical Engineering? :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin: The main reason I decided to pursue chemical engineering was because I loved the idea of being able to use what I learned to contribute towards solving global issues (my interests are specifically in the humanitarian/environmental side!). Factors such as its versatility and employability also helped the decision as well! :smile:
Wow Cambridge looks amazing for Chem Eng, best of luck! I’m a current masters Chemical Engineering student, so if you have any questions about the subject feel free to ask 😊
Thanks! :biggrin: The main reason I decided to pursue chemical engineering was because I loved the idea of being able to use what I learned to contribute towards solving global issues (my interests are specifically in the humanitarian/environmental side!). Factors such as its versatility and employability also helped the decision as well! :smile:

That's fantastic and such a good reason! I wish you every success :smile:
Original post by JackofHearts
Wow Cambridge looks amazing for Chem Eng, best of luck! I’m a current masters Chemical Engineering student, so if you have any questions about the subject feel free to ask 😊

Congrats for doing your masters, I'm hoping to do one after my degree too :biggrin: I'd be interested to know what your favourite parts of the course have been?? :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
That's fantastic and such a good reason! I wish you every success :smile:

Thank you!!😊
Good Luck! I will also be applying for this course as a reapplicant (I applied for Natural Sciences last year). Have you thought of doing AS physics? And are you doing Mechanics modules for FM? I would reccomend that
Reply 8
Hi!

Hey! I just graduated from ChemEng via NatSci, loved the course! Best of luck with your application and A levels, and congrats on your internal exam marks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My favourite part of the course (also the most stressful) is the 3rd year design project. Where you will be put into small groups and you’ll have an engineering project to complete. You’ll have to apply everything you’ve learnt over the 3 years and learn even more on top of that! I had to design a process plant to manufacture 10,000 tonnes of Paracetamol per year😂
Original post by isiaiah d
Good Luck! I will also be applying for this course as a reapplicant (I applied for Natural Sciences last year). Have you thought of doing AS physics? And are you doing Mechanics modules for FM? I would reccomend that

Good luck to you too! :smile: Yes I am doing all the mechanics in maths & FM thankfully, do you think the AS physics would make a significant difference to my application? :biggrin:
Original post by Claree
Hey! I just graduated from ChemEng via NatSci, loved the course! Best of luck with your application and A levels, and congrats on your internal exam marks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you + a huge congratulations for finishing your ChemEng degree!! :smile: From what I've gathered, the interviews are mainly NatSci based? Also, did most people on the course do physics at A-level? Thanks :biggrin:
My favourite part of the course (also the most stressful) is the 3rd year design project. Where you will be put into small groups and you’ll have an engineering project to complete. You’ll have to apply everything you’ve learnt over the 3 years and learn even more on top of that! I had to design a process plant to manufacture 10,000 tonnes of Paracetamol per year😂

It must have been fantastic being able to utilise everything you'd learned into a project! (But I do agree that it sounds stressful!). Best of luck with the rest of your masters! :biggrin:
Good luck to you too! :smile: Yes I am doing all the mechanics in maths & FM thankfully, do you think the AS physics would make a significant difference to my application? :biggrin:

I would definately email or call them - a lot of other unis favour physics if I remember rightly.
Also they like self learning a lot as far as I'm aware I self learnt FP1 and it really boosted my application.
I would definately email or call them - a lot of other unis favour physics if I remember rightly.
Also they like self learning a lot as far as I'm aware I self learnt FP1 and it really boosted my application.

Ok, thanks for the advice! I self taught myself some of FM as well, should I put this in the SAQ do you think? :smile:
Ok, thanks for the advice! I self taught myself some of FM as well, should I put this in the SAQ do you think? :smile:

I included mine in my ps its a really competetive thing especially if you sat the exam in the summer, since at uni theres a lot of independant learining.
I think if theres a topic you particularly enjoyed learning about it like say differential equations or something you could talk about that in more depth in your ps.
I personally didn't fill out my SAQ and still managed to get an interview I think mostly its for people applying for different courses but feel free to if you want to im not an expert.
I included mine in my ps its a really competetive thing especially if you sat the exam in the summer, since at uni theres a lot of independant learining.
I think if theres a topic you particularly enjoyed learning about it like say differential equations or something you could talk about that in more depth in your ps.
I personally didn't fill out my SAQ and still managed to get an interview I think mostly its for people applying for different courses but feel free to if you want to im not an expert.

Thanks very much, I will do then! Best of luck with your application :biggrin:
Original post by Claree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow well done! What are you doing now, if you don't mind me asking? Industry or academia?
Reply 18
Wow well done! What are you doing now, if you don't mind me asking? Industry or academia?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Any idea what you’re going to do your research on?😮

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending