The Student Room Group

(Edexcel) A Level Business Study Group + Notes from an A-grade student 📚📊 📈

Hey so I'm making individual threads for all of my 3 A level subjects! :smile:
I took A level Business and I got an A (received results yesterday). Anyways, I'll be adding revision methods, tips, how to stay motivated, notes, slideshows, model answers and what videos and websites I used to help me get an A in Business!💕

Congratulations to all those that received their results and are happy and are going to uni! Please be proud of yourself! You worked so hard for 2 years, go celebrate and be proud you did your best! They're only letters on a piece of paper - don't let them define you as a person!💗

Btw A level Business is linear (A2) with 3 exams at the end of the 2 years.

Paper 1 - Theme 1 and 4 (30%) 100 marks

Paper 2 - Themes 2 and 3 (30%) 100 marks

Paper 3 - all 4 themes (35%) 100 marks - based on context of a competitive market.

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi @kiki213 -

I have a question about studying A-level business studies that I'd like to ask you, is it okay if I ask it in this thread?
Reply 2
If you're studying A level Business, please subscribe to these channels and watch their videos! They helped me so much!💞

bee business bee (i think they do BTEC Business but most of the topics, concepts & theories are the same! make sure you check they match up with your course spec/exam spec!)

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cribabyyip
Hi @kiki213 -

I have a question about studying A-level business studies that I'd like to ask you, is it okay if I ask it in this thread?

Of course hon! Ask away! 💞 Or PM me if you want!
Original post by kiki213
Of course hon! Ask away! 💞 Or PM me if you want!

Thanks!!

So I did Philosophy as one of my a-levels, and regretted it before even halfway through AS, but I didn't drop it as I thought things would get better and also I didn't want to do 3 years at sixthform. However, yesterday I recieved the result, a D. :frown: :'(

I did do Business Studies as a GCSE which I really liked and recieved an A* in, but my Business Studies teacher said it required a lot of maths at A level which put me off as I'm not very good at maths (I got a C). Now, though, I'm thinking of trying to do one A-level within a year, and I'm interested in studying Business Studies as that A-level.

If you could give me some answers to these questions I have about it, it would be really helpful -
!) how much maths is actually involved, like what level of skill in maths is required?
2) do you think it's possible to do an A-level in Business in one year?
3) do you think it's a good idea?
4) do you know anyone who has done Business that way and what grades they achieved?
Reply 5
Thanks!!

So I did Philosophy as one of my a-levels, and regretted it before even halfway through AS, but I didn't drop it as I thought things would get better and also I didn't want to do 3 years at sixthform. However, yesterday I recieved the result, a D. :frown: :'(

I did do Business Studies as a GCSE which I really liked and recieved an A* in, but my Business Studies teacher said it required a lot of maths at A level which put me off as I'm not very good at maths (I got a C). Now, though, I'm thinking of trying to do one A-level within a year, and I'm interested in studying Business Studies as that A-level.

If you could give me some answers to these questions I have about it, it would be really helpful -
!) how much maths is actually involved, like what level of skill in maths is required?
2) do you think it's possible to do an A-level in Business in one year?
3) do you think it's a good idea?
4) do you know anyone who has done Business that way and what grades they achieved?

OK so first you need to get an action plan - write out all your possible options along with the pros and cons of each, where and when you can get more info and who from, and any other details ie websites, phone numbers etc.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you studied AS psychology and got a D?
Did you take any other A levels?
Have you considered taking BTEC Business instead? Your GCSE Business grades is amazing btw you should be proud! I got a Pass, I wanted a merit or distinction but oh well it is what it is :smile:
And to answer your questions:

A Level Business is pretty much 95% Maths. I got a B in GCSE Maths and I still struggled a lot with remembering the formulas ie how to calculate ARR, NPV, simple payback etc. So unless you're very good at maths ie you got an A*-C in GCSE Maths, I wouldn't recommend doing it. You need to remember at least 20 different formulas for Business! I hope this doesn't put you off though but just to let you know how much you need to remember in terms of calculations etc

A Level Business in one and a half years? Maybe. One year? No way! I'm sorry but to put it bluntly - it consists of 4 themes which contains almost 80 topics to learn, over 20 calculations/formulas, more than 10 theories and you need to be very analytical, precise and have great essay-writing and comparison skills. You'll need a very good teacher and self-motivation to do A level Business in one year! You'd have to do fast-track accelerated A level Business at a private college which is expensive, maybe £300-£1k+ for one A level, not too sure but it's very expensive! I'd advise you take A level Business in 2 years as you simply cannot learn more than 80 topics in 1 year when most of us struggled to do it in 2! A Levels are mainly 80-90% self-studying and it requires a lot of motivation, determination and dedication! Your teacher may have helped you with the course but it's all down to you when you sit those exams!

^ No, in my opinion

No, but it'd be best to ask your teachers, parents, any ex-A level students here and at your school who did. Also ring around your local colleges to see if they offer the fast-track 1 year A level Business

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! I hope it all goes well for you 💕💕💕
💕
Original post by kiki213
OK so first you need to get an action plan - write out all your possible options along with the pros and cons of each, where and when you can get more info and who from, and any other details ie websites, phone numbers etc.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you studied AS psychology and got a D?
Did you take any other A levels?
Have you considered taking BTEC Business instead? Your GCSE Business grades is amazing btw you should be proud! I got a Pass, I wanted a merit or distinction but oh well it is what it is :smile:
And to answer your questions:

A Level Business is pretty much 95% Maths. I got a B in GCSE Maths and I still struggled a lot with remembering the formulas ie how to calculate ARR, NPV, simple payback etc. So unless you're very good at maths ie you got an A*-C in GCSE Maths, I wouldn't recommend doing it. You need to remember at least 20 different formulas for Business! I hope this doesn't put you off though but just to let you know how much you need to remember in terms of calculations etc

A Level Business in one and a half years? Maybe. One year? No way! I'm sorry but to put it bluntly - it consists of 4 themes which contains almost 80 topics to learn, over 20 calculations/formulas, more than 10 theories and you need to be very analytical, precise and have great essay-writing and comparison skills. You'll need a very good teacher and self-motivation to do A level Business in one year! You'd have to do fast-track accelerated A level Business at a private college which is expensive, maybe £300-£1k+ for one A level, not too sure but it's very expensive! I'd advise you take A level Business in 2 years as you simply cannot learn more than 80 topics in 1 year when most of us struggled to do it in 2! A Levels are mainly 80-90% self-studying and it requires a lot of motivation, determination and dedication! Your teacher may have helped you with the course but it's all down to you when you sit those exams!

^ No, in my opinion

No, but it'd be best to ask your teachers, parents, any ex-A level students here and at your school who did. Also ring around your local colleges to see if they offer the fast-track 1 year A level Business

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! I hope it all goes well for you 💕💕💕
💕

Thanks for the detailed reply! I have made an action plan but I'm very indecisive about wat
I studied a full A-level in philosophy, not AS psychology, and got a D, yes. I got a B for philosophy when I did it in AS.
Of course, my other A-levels were Art and Design and English and I do know the kind of work and effort you need to put in for A levels.
Thank you, and a pass is still a good grade at GCSE, and your A-level grade A for Business is brilliant! :smile:
95% Maths makes it a no-go for me unfortunately, as I only achieved a solid C for Maths at GCSE as I said which I don't think will be good enough to pull me through.
From what you've explained, I gather it's pretty much impossible to do it one year. Oh well, I'll explore my other options and see where I end up.
Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it. 💕
Reply 7
Thanks for the detailed reply! I have made an action plan but I'm very indecisive about wat
I studied a full A-level in philosophy, not AS psychology, and got a D, yes. I got a B for philosophy when I did it in AS.
Of course, my other A-levels were Art and Design and English and I do know the kind of work and effort you need to put in for A levels.
Thank you, and a pass is still a good grade at GCSE, and your A-level grade A for Business is brilliant! :smile:
95% Maths makes it a no-go for me unfortunately, as I only achieved a solid C for Maths at GCSE as I said which I don't think will be good enough to pull me through.
From what you've explained, I gather it's pretty much impossible to do it one year. Oh well, I'll explore my other options and see where I end up.
Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it. 💕

OK, please can you PM me your action plan - I'll check it and make some edits if that's OK with you?
Have you sat your A2 exams for psychology yet? I was considering taking it instead of English Language but from what I've heard, it's a very difficult subject, like Law and English Language.
Do you still take Art & Design and English? And is it AS or A2 level, with exams in first year or exams in both years or only at the second year? Which English, is it Language and Literature or both?
Yes, in one year, A level Business is virtually impossible, sorry to say :frown: But I'd really recommend it! I got an A and although I found it very boring and stressful at times I have gained a lot of knowledge and insight into how businesses work, how taxes work, mortgages, how EU law impacts us along with Brexit's impact on our future
You're welcome, no worries - always happy to help!
If you need more advice, PM me and make sure you go through your action plan with your parents, teachers and any career advisors & other staff at your college. Whatever decisions you make, make them for you and focus on yourself and your future - no one else's!
Good luck!💗x
Original post by kiki213
OK, please can you PM me your action plan - I'll check it and make some edits if that's OK with you?
Have you sat your A2 exams for psychology yet? I was considering taking it instead of English Language but from what I've heard, it's a very difficult subject, like Law and English Language.
Do you still take Art & Design and English? And is it AS or A2 level, with exams in first year or exams in both years or only at the second year? Which English, is it Language and Literature or both?
Yes, in one year, A level Business is virtually impossible, sorry to say :frown: But I'd really recommend it! I got an A and although I found it very boring and stressful at times I have gained a lot of knowledge and insight into how businesses work, how taxes work, mortgages, how EU law impacts us along with Brexit's impact on our future
You're welcome, no worries - always happy to help!
If you need more advice, PM me and make sure you go through your action plan with your parents, teachers and any career advisors & other staff at your college. Whatever decisions you make, make them for you and focus on yourself and your future - no one else's!
Good luck!💗x

Hey, just to clarify, I did say it's Philosophy, not Psychology, that I have an A-level in lol, I think you got mixed up between the two!
I have taken all my A-level exams this year, so June 2018, which includes my A-level in Art and Design and English Literature, and they were A2 (got my results yesterday). I did AS last year. It is just literature, yes.
And sure, I'll PM it to you soon, I'll be glad to have some advice on that too! Thanks x
I'm sure Business is very interesting cause of everything it covers which is why I was interested in it as an A-level but it's not something I'm considering anymore tbh.
Thanks so much, will do! Good luck to you too for whatever you do in the future! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by kiki213
I took A level Business and I got an A (received results yesterday). I was expecting a D at best, U at worst lmaoo my predictions are terrible :colondollar:Anyways, I'll be adding my best revision methods, tips, how to stay motivated, notes, slideshows, model answers and what videos and websites I used to help me get an A in Business!💕

Congratulations to all those that received their results and are happy and are going to uni! Please be proud of yourself! You worked so hard for 2 years, go celebrate and be proud you did your best! They're only letters on a piece of paper - don't let them define you as a person!💗

Paper 3 - all 4 themes (35%) 100 marks - based on context of a competitive market. 2018 was chocolate market, 2017 was gyms/fitness companies. It changes each year.

I'll aim to upload my old A level Business notes by next weekend, if I don't, please be patient and PM me or reply in the thread if it's urgent - I'll try to reply ASAP💘

What Exam Board is? :smile: If its edexcel then this is what i need, Thank you in advance PS IM DUMB I JUST READ THE TITLE SORRY
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by kiki213
I took A level Business and I got an A (received results yesterday). I was expecting a D at best, U at worst lmaoo my predictions are terrible :colondollar:Anyways, I'll be adding my best revision methods, tips, how to stay motivated, notes, slideshows, model answers and what videos and websites I used to help me get an A in Business!💕

Paper 3 - all 4 themes (35%) 100 marks - based on context of a competitive market. 2018 was chocolate market, 2017 was gyms/fitness companies. It changes each year.

I'll aim to upload my old A level Business notes by next weekend, if I don't, please be patient and PM me or reply in the thread if it's urgent - I'll try to reply ASAP💘

Can you please uplead your notes pleaseee
@cribabyyip it does not require a lot of math it’s very basic maths you just atleast have a c and you will be fine, they teach you everything anyway
Can you send me the notes
hey icy have you uploaded your notes? I'd appreciate it if you could send them to me thank you
Reply 14
Original post by Sabrina%
Can you send me the notes

Original post by awaiskhanay18
hey icy have you uploaded your notes? I'd appreciate it if you could send them to me thank you

hi, my notes are kind of all over the place so once i've organised them i'll post them here! 💙
Hi can you send me your notes please
hii when will you be uploading your notes? :smile:
which exam board is easier, edexcel or Cie for business?
Original post by icygrl
If you're studying A level Business, please subscribe to these channels and watch their videos! They helped me so much!💞

bee business bee (i think they do BTEC Business but most of the topics, concepts & theories are the same! make sure you check they match up with your course spec/exam spec!)

my name is Shak.My business teacher got kicked out and my notes are so bad right now if you have notes for theme 1 and others please share ...
thank you
Reply 19
Hi can you please send me business notes for all the units please

Latest