The Student Room Group

I live in Scotland but study in England. Do i get free tuition in Scot Unis?

I have lived in Scotland for over 9 years but acquired my GCSEs in England and am currently studying my A levels there. Am I entitled to free tuition at Scottish universities? Or do I need to have the Scottish qualification (SQA etc). Since I will be applying for medicine I found there are separate places for Scottish students and for students from the rest of the UK. So if I am applying from the outside of Scotland there is more competition. I'm currently confused whether my situation means I am applying from the outside of Scotland or not. Even if I'm eligible for the free tuitions, will my application still be considered against other English candidates competing for the Non-Scottish places? Also, if a Scottish student applies to an English university are they only compared against other Scottish applicants? Any advice would be helpful as these factors are crucial for me in deciding which medical universities I apply to. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Ryanrmathew
I have lived in Scotland for over 9 years but acquired my GCSEs in England and am currently studying my A levels there. Am I entitled to free tuition at Scottish universities? Or do I need to have the Scottish qualification (SQA etc). Since I will be applying for medicine I found there are separate places for Scottish students and for students from the rest of the UK. So if I am applying from the outside of Scotland there is more competition. I'm currently confused whether my situation means I am applying from the outside of Scotland or not. Even if I'm eligible for the free tuitions, will my application still be considered against other English candidates competing for the Non-Scottish places? Also, if a Scottish student applies to an English university are they only compared against other Scottish applicants? Any advice would be helpful as these factors are crucial for me in deciding which medical universities I apply to. Thanks :smile:

My understanding is you need to be studying full time in Scotland to get the free fees.

I dont know how you would be treated by Scottish unis, so ask them. from what you are saying although studying in England you remain resident in Scotland so you are slipping across the border every day?

http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/funding_guide.pdf
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
My understanding is you need to be studying full time in Scotland to get the free fees.

I dont know how you would be treated by Scottish unis, so ask them. from what you are saying although studying in England you remain resident in Scotland so you are slipping across the border every day?

http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/funding_guide.pdf

Yes, i take a bus every morning to school.
Yes, i take a bus every morning to school.

I think my previous advice applies, but you can always talk to saas to make sure. You can also check with friends in a similar situation that they will be paying fees as well.

Usually student finance is based on your country of residence, so you should be eligible for free tuition at Scottish unis, and would therefore be counted as a Scottish student (and considered against other Scottish/EU students who get fees covered, as this is a separate allocation from rest of UK/worldwide). Free tuition fees eligibility has nothing to do with which qualifications you did/do in school, so it doesn't matter that you are doing A levels. If you are a Scottish student applying to an English university, everyone is considered together as everyone has to pay fees. Hope this helps, but if you're still unsure or want further clarification, you can double check with SAAS directly.
Reply 5
You need to have stayed permanently in Scotland within the last 3-5 years in order to qualify for the free student fees, also you require to be living in. Scottish address and be able to prove this by means of a utility bill, electoral register etc

Hope this helps
Reply 6
As others have said, SAAS funding is based entirely on residency so if you live in Scotland then SAAS will count you as a Scottish student. The fact that you study A-levels instead of Highers is irrelevant. If you are applying to Scottish universities then you will be competing for places with other Scottish students who have studied Highers. If applying to English universities then you will be competing against all other UK students because there is no distinction in funding category between different parts of the UK expect which funding body you apply to for fees ect.

Since the reason you're asking this question is because you want to give yourself the best chance of getting into a medical school (I'm assuming), it might be worth thinking it through what each version means. The Scottish medical schools have separate places for Scottish students, rest of UK students and international while English medical schools have only UK students and international. Applying to a Scottish medical school means you are trying going up against less people for fewer places than compared to an English medical school. As to which has less competition, I don't really know and it's probably questionable if it makes a difference though I do know that most Scottish applicants don't bother even considering English universities regardless of what subject they want to study due to having to pay fees.
You should phone SAAS and talk to them about it because your circumstances are a bit unique.

http://www.saas.gov.uk/contact_us/phone.htm
Reply 8
Original post by Labrador99
Usually student finance is based on your country of residence, so you should be eligible for free tuition at Scottish unis, and would therefore be counted as a Scottish student (and considered against other Scottish/EU students who get fees covered, as this is a separate allocation from rest of UK/worldwide). Free tuition fees eligibility has nothing to do with which qualifications you did/do in school, so it doesn't matter that you are doing A levels. If you are a Scottish student applying to an English university, everyone is considered together as everyone has to pay fees. Hope this helps, but if you're still unsure or want further clarification, you can double check with SAAS directly.

Thanks for your help! I should be able to apply to Scottish unis confidently now, though im sure i will have to contact SAAS in the near future anyway. This just helps me at this stage when choosing my unis (and tailoring my personal statement to their 'requirements' etc.) before i get back to school.

If you live in Scotland then you will be a Scottish student-going to an English boarding school will not change this. Where you consider home is the deciding factor.

In Scotland

As to competition there are indeed separate places for Scottish students and you don't have to pay fees- HOWEVER this actually normally makes it far more competitive as the number of places for Scottish students is restricted

For example if you look at Edinburgh University who helpfully publish offer rates here
https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics

The offer rate for Scottish students for medicine is 13/14% in the last few years

But for rest of UK it is 18-27%

So good news no fees
Bad news harder to get a place

IN England you are all considered together as you all pay the same fees
Original post by qno2
As others have said, SAAS funding is based entirely on residency so if you live in Scotland then SAAS will count you as a Scottish student. The fact that you study A-levels instead of Highers is irrelevant. If you are applying to Scottish universities then you will be competing for places with other Scottish students who have studied Highers. If applying to English universities then you will be competing against all other UK students because there is no distinction in funding category between different parts of the UK expect which funding body you apply to for fees ect.

Since the reason you're asking this question is because you want to give yourself the best chance of getting into a medical school (I'm assuming), it might be worth thinking it through what each version means. The Scottish medical schools have separate places for Scottish students, rest of UK students and international while English medical schools have only UK students and international. Applying to a Scottish medical school means you are trying going up against less people for fewer places than compared to an English medical school. As to which has less competition, I don't really know and it's probably questionable if it makes a difference though I do know that most Scottish applicants don't bother even considering English universities regardless of what subject they want to study due to having to pay fees.

Thats exactly what i was thinking (may or may not be true but free fees was the main reason). I feel it would be pointless for me to apply to a Scottish uni if i would be considered as an English applicant as i would just be placing myself into a even more competitive situation. This would extremely disadvantage me and make it more unlikely for me to get into medical school (and i would still have to pay full fees!). If im not considered as a Scottish applicant then i will probably apply to only English unis.
Hopefully this is not the case haha.
Thanks for your help! I should be able to apply to Scottish unis confidently now, though im sure i will have to contact SAAS in the near future anyway. This just helps me at this stage when choosing my unis (and tailoring my personal statement to their 'requirements' etc.) before i get back to school.

No problem- good luck with your application :smile:

Thats exactly what i was thinking (may or may not be true but free fees was the main reason). I feel it would be pointless for me to apply to a Scottish uni if i would be considered as an English applicant as i would just be placing myself into a even more competitive situation. This would extremely disadvantage me and make it more unlikely for me to get into medical school (and i would still have to pay full fees!). If im not considered as a Scottish applicant then i will probably apply to only English unis.
Hopefully this is not the case haha.

You have said that you live in Scotland and go by bus every day to school (presumably from home?), so if you have no English residency, then you have nothing to worry about, as you are then a Scottish resident!
Original post by watchingyouwatch
If you live in Scotland then you will be a Scottish student-going to an English boarding school will not change this. Where you consider home is the deciding factor.

In Scotland

As to competition there are indeed separate places for Scottish students and you don't have to pay fees- HOWEVER this actually normally makes it far more competitive as the number of places for Scottish students is restricted

For example if you look at Edinburgh University who helpfully publish offer rates here
https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics

The offer rate for Scottish students for medicine is 13/14% in the last few years

But for rest of UK it is 18-27%

So good news no fees
Bad news harder to get a place

IN England you are all considered together as you all pay the same fees

Geez. This was very helpful. So to get free tuition i must get through more competition. The main reason why i was even considering Scottish unis was due to the free tuition incentive. This means i wi will probably ony choose one or two Scottish unis (other two will be English) as i am not too bothered about prestige. Edinburgh is probably the most competitive one for that reason (correct me if wrong) so i will probably avoid it. This makes sense as its probably more often the people applying to only Scottish unis that do not get in first attempt as the competition is greater. The thought of saving so much money really inclines me to choose Scottish unis but that would be mistake if I'm just lowering my chances to become a doctor in te near future.
Original post by Labrador99
No problem- good luck with your application :smile:

You have said that you live in Scotland and go by bus every day to school (presumably from home?), so if you have no English residency, then you have nothing to worry about, as you are then a Scottish resident!

Yeah! I have no residency in England. I go by bus to school from home every day haha. :smile:
Yeah! I have no residency in England. I go by bus to school from home every day haha. :smile:

In that case you are a Scottish resident, and have been for long enough that you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending