The Student Room Group

Should I remark my AS maths exam?

I'm not sure whether to remark my maths exam:

- I got a B
- I got 90/160 which is exactly a B
- In paper 1 I got 69/100 even though I remember being pretty confident coming out of that exam
- I want to apply for economics courses and most of them require maths

My predicted grades depend on my AS grades and I've consistently been getting As in maths throughout year 12. I want to remark but I'm sacred of risking a C without seeing the exam paper and mark scheme again to see if there's a chance of the examiners being wrong. Any advice would be appreciated, and if you know where to access the Edexcel maths papers and mark schemes for 2018 please tell me!!!!
Original post by dumbhermione

- I got a B
- In paper 1 I got 69/100 even though I remember being pretty confident coming out of that exam

My predicted grades depend on my AS grades and I've consistently been getting As in maths throughout year 12. I want to remark but I'm sacred of risking a C without seeing the exam paper and mark scheme again to see if there's a chance of the examiners being wrong. Any advice would be appreciated, and if you know where to access the Edexcel maths papers and mark schemes for 2018 please tell me!!!!

If you're exactly on the B grade boundary, there is no point in remarking really.

You can still get predicted an A with a B at AS, especially if you've been getting A grades consistently throughout Year 12.

You can't access 2018 mark schemes or papers - they're locked behind Edexcel Online which requires a login from the exam's officer. This is so schools can use them as mocks.
Original post by Blue_Cow
If you're exactly on the B grade boundary, there is no point in remarking really.

You can still get predicted an A with a B at AS, especially if you've been getting A grades consistently throughout Year 12.

You can't access 2018 mark schemes or papers - they're locked behind Edexcel Online which requires a login from the exam's officer. This is so schools can use them as mocks.

Do universities care more about predicted grades or AS grades, especially competitive ones like LSE? Also, if I were to resit in November, will that affect my uni applications negatively, even if I get an A? Also, will it be possible for me to review my exam paper and see where I lost marks and whether there's any opportunity to gain marks before I decide to remark?
(edited 5 years ago)

- I got a B

Edexcel have a thing where you can access your papers to see if you would have gotten anymore marks - like you can see what you wrote and everything. Only schools can access them though so you'll need to go in/email them but definitely do that if you're unsure.
Do universities care more about predicted grades or AS grades, especially competitive ones like LSE? Also, if I were to resit in November, will that affect my uni applications negatively, even if I get an A?

They'll look at your application as a whole. I can't comment on LSE.

November resits aren't a thing for A-Levels - they're linear now and all the exams are in June.
Do universities care more about predicted grades or AS grades, especially competitive ones like LSE? Also, if I were to resit in November, will that affect my uni applications negatively, even if I get an A?

Get your teachers to check your paper. Edexcel offer free online access to scripts.
you're on the B boundary, why would you remark? It's highly unlikely you're going to gain 15 marks and get up to the A boundary. If you lose one mark you'll get a C. Your school should predict you one grade up, so an A, since the A* grade is inaccessible at AS. I suggest that you speak to your teachers about predicting you an A* (if that's what you need) and show them that you've consistently been getting As throughout the year.
Original post by Deliciate
you're on the B boundary, why would you remark? It's highly unlikely you're going to gain 15 marks and get up to the A boundary. If you lose one mark you'll get a C. Your school should predict you one grade up, so an A, since the A* grade is inaccessible at AS. I suggest that you speak to your teachers about predicting you an A* (if that's what you need) and show them that you've consistently been getting As throughout the year.

My school is really strict about predicted grades being the same as AS grades, and even if I were able to get predicted an A I'm scared that a B at AS will affect my uni offers.
My school is really strict about predicted grades being the same as AS grades, and even if I were able to get predicted an A I'm scared that a B at AS will affect my uni offers.

Wow, that's silly. So your school don't predict people A*s?

Your AS grades shouldn't affect your uni offers, they look at your predicted grade. Remember, most schools don't sit AS exams. A B grade is a respectable grade at AS seeing as you haven't completed the full A Level course yet.

A girl that was in the year above me achieved a B in AS maths but was then predicted an A* at A levels (which she managed to achieve and is now going to Oxford). I think your sixth form is putting you at a massive disadvantage by not at least predicting you one grade up. Is there no leeway to this rule?
Original post by Deliciate
Wow, that's silly. So your school don't predict people A*s?

Your AS grades shouldn't affect your uni offers, they look at your predicted grade. Remember, most schools don't sit AS exams. A B grade is a respectable grade at AS seeing as you haven't completed the full A Level course yet.

A girl that was in the year above me achieved a B in AS maths but was then predicted an A* at A levels (which she managed to achieve and is now going to Oxford). I think your sixth form is putting you at a massive disadvantage by not at least predicting you one grade up. Is there no leeway to this rule?

An A* is predicted only if you get 90% or above in your AS, and the teacher also has to justify their decision to predict an A*. I'm going to try to convince my teacher to predict an A and suggest doing a mock maths exam with the AS content to show that I can get an A. Hopefully that'll work :/
Original post by Muttley79
Get your teachers to check your paper. Edexcel offer free online access to scripts.

I didn't realise that was an option. Thanks :smile:
An A* is predicted only if you get 90% or above in your AS, and the teacher also has to justify their decision to predict an A*. I'm going to try to convince my teacher to predict an A and suggest doing a mock maths exam with the AS content to show that I can get an A. Hopefully that'll work :/

that's a really good idea, definitely something you should try. good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest